Panasonic G6 Review - the GH2 Redux

Andrew Reid

...looks like it has about 1/4 of a second delay...according to the sync image on the video...which would make it quite useful . This guy also does english versions of his reviews so maybe he might do an eng version of the g6 wifi review as well. I could see a wifi evf using the ipod touch for example.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does the Panasonic g6 have a recording time cap like the g5 (i.e. 29 minutes) or is it like the gh3, allowing you to record the full length of the card itself?

I am wondering this as well. I need a new static camera for weddings - the RX100 kept overheating on me and wasn't cutting it. 

Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Question, in a video editor, is there more dynamic range / color information in the GH3 highest quality, 73MBIT i-frame, video vs G6's lower bitrate CODEC?  I can believe that the out-of-camera visual quality of video from both cameras is similar.  But I notice that with RAW video you can adjust contrast and color, whereas from-camera video has almost no latitude in contrast, without losing detail or blowing highlights out.  

Can you, or do you know someone, who can test this?  I don't care about sharpness.  Dynamic range and color depth/fidelity is what I'm interested in.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

After reading the review and a couple of others I was about to take the plunge and get the G6.

The main put off is the 30 min continuous recording limit (because of EU regulations). I have always used video cameras to record mainly speeches but thought I'd switch to one of these due to form factor, quality of video and ability to take good photos. So disappointed really as you don't want the recording to stop during a 1 hr speech.

Can anyone else comment on the recording limit who has bought this in the UK (or Europe). I've heard it has auto-restart but not sure if that's on EU versions and what it exactly does. Is there a way to get round this, or do we have to wait for a hack?

I have another question: It's not so much of an issue for me that you cannot set up a live monitor via HDMI as I hardly do that but what is important is being able to do live podcasts/streaming with it (even say to Ustream or Skype). Is that possible and if it is, how would it be done?

Thanks (and don't want to have to buy a video camera this time!).

• 1 month later...

dear andrew..please im new here..

im order d5200 because is great for low light.(better gh3..wow)

but if i post much sharp in d5200 is possible same details in g6?...and please you can compare g6 vs gh2 vs gh3 vs d5200...is my dream.

for you which is best for film amateur.because d5200 is impressive the cinematic look..

bye

steve

• 1 month later...

I've been shooting with an unhacked GH2 for just over a year (50/50 photo/video).  I usually shoot either live music in small clubs or nature/wildlife.  I've struggled with getting images I want of live music.  Colors often don't seem appealing.  Bright areas blow out very easily while darker areas of the stage are too dark.  When lighting is good and even I love it.  I've hesitated to hack my GH2 because I didn't want to deal with instability and larger files.  I've been hearing great things about video and photo quality of the G6 and thought it might give me the extra edge I need.  The addition of time lapse functions with electronic shutter and the ability to control the camera with a tablet/smartphone with wifi made it seem like a smart move.  I was going to sell the GH2 while used prices are still good.

My new G6 arrived in the mail today, and although I haven't had much time to shoot yet, I already have some serious concerns. 

1) There are much fewer ISO choices compared to my GH2. 

2) The click wheel that I frequently use to change shutter speed and aperture is much more difficult to adjust than my GH2.

3) Although I have accurate live view in video mode, in photo mode the EVF and screen do not represent what the photo is going to look like.  They always preview a brightly lit image, regardless of my exposure settings.  

If I'm overlooking some settings regarding ISO and live view, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm afraid this camera will need to be returned. I suppose my next step will be trying to find a GH2 hack well suited for live music.

3) Although I have accurate live view in video mode, in photo mode the EVF and screen do not represent what the photo is going to look like.  They always preview a brightly lit image, regardless of my exposure settings.  

hmmm whats that all about...? i was thinkin about picking up a g6, you guys experiencing this as well? 

Hi, i am looking to buy either the g6 or the gx7 for video. does anyone have any comparisons? i know that the gx7 has larger pixels on its new sensor but does that really make a difference in the video? mic input on the g6 isn't that important to me as i would use external sound. I have heard the g6 is less sharp in 60p, is this the same for the gx7? according to the specs, both cameras have a lower bitrate for 60p which could be the reason for that. finally gx7 has the tilt screen and the g6 has the articulated screen, would either be good for filming? thanks so much!!!! your responses will make a major difference in my purchase decision, thanks in advance!! it will be my very 1st camera!!!!

Hi, i am looking to buy either the g6 or the gx7 for video. does anyone have any comparisons? i know that the gx7 has larger pixels on its new sensor but does that really make a difference in the video? mic input on the g6 isn't that important to me as i would use external sound. I have heard the g6 is less sharp in 60p, is this the same for the gx7? according to the specs, both cameras have a lower bitrate for 60p which could be the reason for that. finally gx7 has the tilt screen and the g6 has the articulated screen, would either be good for filming? thanks so much!!!! your responses will make a major difference in my purchase decision, thanks in advance!! it will be my very 1st camera!!!!

Hi.

I'd recommed to buy G6 body and for saved money choose some nice prime lens. The G6 is really good for filming - 

https://vimeo.com/groups/dmcg6/videos

Thanks for the help guys.  

I was able to unlock the other ISO choices by following the instructions on page 202 of the manual.  The camera lets you choose between two ISO selection modes:  1 EV or 1/3 EV.  You can also turn on an "extended" ISO feature.

I was able to assign the live preview mode for photos to one of the Fn keys (I chose Fn2).  Unfortunately, I have to press the Fn2 key after every photo I take.  I wish I could make it stay on all the time like my GH2.   Sometimes it's nice to boost the preview image so it's easier to focus and frame your shot (like when I do long exposure night/sky photographs  I accomplish a similar effect with my GH2 by popping up the flash.  While the flash is up the preview image brightens while I focus and frame.  Then I put the flash back down, set my exposure, and take photos.

*The G6 manual says the live preview mode can simulate shutter speeds between 8 seconds and 1/1000.

The possibility of using the wifi app for wildlife photos/videos is kind of cool.  It's one of the reason I decided to try this camera.

Also...I've never used an external monitor with my GH2, but often wished for one.  I thought this camera might be able to use an iPad as one to a certain extent.  While I think it may work with auto focus (I didn't try yet), it doesn't  work well with my Lumix 20mm in manual focus mode.  Every time I adjust focus the app freezes the video feed and says "camera busy". Video (and control) does resume after a couple seconds or so.  I'm going to experiment more with old manual lenses.

Photo and video quality seem nice so far. I look forward to trying it at shows this weekend.

EDIT:

I tried the G6 at a show last night.  The colors and shadow detail in videos look better than the GH2 to me.  However, taking photos with this camera is a terrible experience compared to the GH2...for one simple reason; accurate photo preview. I hate pushing a Fn button every time I want accurate preview. And the photo preview mode isn't smooth like video preview.  It stutters (to simulate shutter speed?) and is very distracting.  My budget only allows me to have one camera for video and photo. The G6 is not that camera.  I'll just stick with my GH2 until I can find a better fit for me.

I've been shooting with an unhacked GH2 for just over a year (50/50 photo/video).  I usually shoot either live music in small clubs or nature/wildlife.  I've struggled with getting images I want of live music.  Colors often don't seem appealing.  Bright areas blow out very easily while darker areas of the stage are too dark.  When lighting is good and even I love it.  I've hesitated to hack my GH2 because I didn't want to deal with instability and larger files.  I've been hearing great things about video and photo quality of the G6 and thought it might give me the extra edge I need.  The addition of time lapse functions with electronic shutter and the ability to control the camera with a tablet/smartphone with wifi made it seem like a smart move.  I was going to sell the GH2 while used prices are still good.

My new G6 arrived in the mail today, and although I haven't had much time to shoot yet, I already have some serious concerns. 

1) There are much fewer ISO choices compared to my GH2. 

2) The click wheel that I frequently use to change shutter speed and aperture is much more difficult to adjust than my GH2.

If I'm overlooking some settings regarding ISO and live view, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm afraid this camera will need to be returned. I suppose my next step will be trying to find a GH2 hack well suited for live music.

Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

The GX7 isn't appropriate for video really, it's a stills camera primarily. Get the G6, it's a true hybrid.

new user here - I was wondering what peoples opinions of the focussing on the Panasonic G series is please ?

I have a Sony NEX 5 - with kit and 30mm Sigma - but whilst it "can" take fantastic photos - it misses focus so many times when taking photos of my kids (it will often focus on background instead) that I hardly ever use it anymore.  Yes I can use manual focusing/focus peaking but when trying to look on the rear of a screen with a moving target (kids) its very frustrating indeed

I'm also after much better video quality - so with the current fantastic deals on the G6 (with cashback - the G6+14-140 is about same price as the lens on its own !) I've been tempted with a G6

one last question - would all G6 + 14-140 bundles these days come with the updated 14-140 ?

many thanks for any answers

Buckster