Panasonic G6 Review - the GH2 Redux

Andrew Reid

I received a G6 today. So far I can't really see a discernible difference between it and the GH3 when looking at stills at 100%. There's slight differences but they're so minor to be irrelevant.

In video I'm seeing a tiny bit extra sharpness with the GH3. There's also a bit of difference in the white balances between the two cameras in both stills and video which is interesting.

Focus Peaking on the G6 seems to work really well for the most part and, given that the differences seem pretty minor between the camera, seems to weight in favour of the G6 atm.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No headphone output on the G6.

HDR, timelapse mode, stop motion animation - yes. All there.

Standard 3.5mm mic input - yes.

Stills quality not quite as good as GH3 but close.

Low light is pretty good, very decent noise reduction and it can be dialled down to -5 if you want to do it in post instead.

Thank you Andrew it's help me !

Now there is GX7 which said to have similar video quality as GH3..

I also forgot to mention, that the GH2 took the Micro 4/3th platform, to a new high. The entire idea of having far more compact lenses, mirror-less bodies (and thus the idea of absolutely silent, and, theoretically extremely faster shutter) was wasted, on the GH3. 

The G5 is crap, you may as well spend a bit extra and get a used GH2 if you consider the G6 not cheap enough

Thanks.  They seem to have almost identical specs, although the G6 has the GH2 sensor.  I'm just looking for something on the cheaper side to string together some vacation clips.  My G3 got water damage, so I thought the G5 would be a sensible replacement...but not if it's "crap"!

If the G6 HDMI out port isn't active during filming, is this something that can be worked around with a hack in the future? Or is it disabled because the hardware simply can't push a feed out while recording a feed simultaneously

p.s. I just ordered the G6, kind of nervous and wondering if I should've gone with the GH3 instead (it already shipped can't cancel). How big of an issue is the lower bitrate? I film artsy fartsy stuff, no broadcasting or any of that stuff. The external HDMI out isn't actually an issue with me I don't typically use a monitor anyways. Mostly lured in for the image quality and 60fps for under 700$, really just concerned about bitrate.

I may have pulled the trigger too soon ? 

Thanks for the review Andrew.  Been eyeing this cam for a little while.  I understand the benefits over the GH2 - but still feel the GH2 has a more cinematic feel overall.  But, in looking at new cameras - I'm debating between the G6 and GH3.  The lack of HDMI monitoring is probably aimed at getting those doing professional work to get the GH3.  And thus - I'm debating between the two.

In looking at the GH3 group on vimeo, it seems as though the colors tend to be richer out of that camera - although, admittedly there aren't too many G6 videos out yet.  

Also, owning a GH3 package may result in landing a few more jobs than owning a G6 package.

For personal use... I like the G6 and all it has to offer.  Currently in the states, ebay seems to be the only way to get a G6.  GH3's can be had readily at major retailers.   

Yes, you're right.. Hate to overpay though. 

The $749 price with kit lens doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.

As far as bit rate goes, that doesn't concern me very much.  Several very nice cams use similar bit rates, and they've been well proven.

A quick heads up about the lack of live hdmi.. I just found a video on youtube that shows that you can use the wifi remote application as an additional monitor via a cell phone, laptop, or tablet...

Unforunately i don't speak german but jump ahead to 07:17 to see it in action www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPalfTO8M_0