Panasonic G6 Review - the GH2 Redux

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

The G6 achieves a certain yin-and-yang. With the GH3 now occupying a higher position in the line, the G6 has moved up to occupy the position once taken by our much loved GH2. It shares the same sensor which of course was always pretty special for video, yet adds a lot of significant new features like 1080/60p, a faster processor, high resolution LCD and something the GH3 doesn't even have - focus peaking.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice review Andrew. Like the GH2, the G6 will be one of the most underestimated camera's ever probably :)

Outstanding camera for the money. Probably we wouldn't even complain about the price if we had this quality/features in a $1.5K aps-c-camera from the big brands...

Thanks Andrew. I have a GH3.. I probably would have went for the G6 had I waited. Not much difference between them it looks like, and to me the G6 has a slightly nicer image than the GH3. Oh well, GH3 is still great even for the price considering the competition. Hopefully Vitaliy will give it a bit more magic too.

Very impressive!
Panasonic does it again. I love the way they don't hold back with their technology and put the things they've developed for their flagship models into the cheaper cameras as well.
Did you shoot part of the above video with one of the c-mount lenses you bought for the BM Pocket Camera?
I thought the vignetting was actually quite a nice touch.

Ive had my G6 for 2 weeks now and it kills my hacked  gh2 for detail

G6 video is simply stunning - I highly recomend it

yes body is abit plasticy - but the camera is packed full and good features

It is the best non RAW camera on the market right now

BTW the crop factor is x2 for the g6 - gh2 is x1.86

that means all those c mount lenses that just vignetted a bit on the gh2 on the edges of the frame - now do not vignette at all on the g6!!

Pentax 25mm f1.4 c mount lens is stunning on the g6 as a main FF 50mm equivilent

Ps I bought mine from Vitaliy on Personal View .com and he said there will only be a hack for the G6 if Panasonic release a software update

I think the G6 rocks straight out the box as it is!

the g6 to my eyes has a more detailed image - it is simply stunning

I dont know how Panasonic have done it but they have done some very clever tweeking with the codec to make superb images at a standard file size - my gh2 is running 1 gig per minuite with the hack - huge files compared to the g6

The g6 straight out the box on a lower bit rate is producing a better image ! simply stunning work by Panasonic !

@xenogears

I was wondering the same thing. I came across this from user "woolhats" over on Personal-View:

No live view via hdmi...only playback..you can get live view via wifi..but is not like a real monitor...you can rec and even control the zoom if you have the powerzoom lens via wifi..but as I said it´s not like viewing thru a hdmi monitor

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6788/panasonic-g6-topic-gh2-replacement-camera/p18

As someone who rarely shoots without an HDMI monitor, this is a dealbreaker for me. It does seem like a nice camera otherwise.

Thinking of leaving my 5dmkiii for this. The raw stuff magic lantern is putting out is awesome but I don't think it's quite for me (I'm having a hard time grasping all of the confusing information out there). Someone tell me this is the right thing to do.

I shoot comfortably with one prime and one wide currently and am able to get just about every shot I want.

Sigma 50mm f1.4

and

Canon 16-35mm II F2.8L

For whatever reason these are the only two focal lengths I need when I film. I seem to be able to accomplish just about everything I want with them. Will I be able to achieve similar focal lengths on the g6 with say,

the panny 7-14mm

and

some 24 or 25mm ? Voigtlander maybe?

I love 60fps and want to utilize it more in my films. 720p actually doesn't look too bad with sharpening on the 5dmkiii, but this g6 is telling me I can get more for my money.

Hi folks,

First I really love this website, lot of informations and really good reviews and tests. Congratulations !

I've reading this preview with lots of attention because I currently want to buy a new camera, especially for filming. I love stills too and I don't want a bad one for that kind of purpose.

I shoot a lot of snowboarding (need slowmo) and some iterviews.

Things I've seen with the GH3 I love :

- all the different codecs (1080p@50 50mb/s)

- possibilities to configure fn buttons (a lot !)

- timelapse feature

- great dynamic range

- good low light possibilities

- headphone output

- standard jack input mic

- very good stills capabilities

So my question is : do I really need a GH3 or the G6 is the new good camera ?

I've got bucks for the gh3 but the price of the G6 could give possibilities to buy more lenses or battery... Excuse for my bad english I'm just french ;-)

Thanks for your reply 

PS: example of what I shot with my 5DmkII (office camera )

for me its the work flow .....the G6 is producing stunning highly detailed images without all the ML RAW massive work flow to make it work

OR the GH2 massive hacked file sizes that are huge - 1GB per minuite on mine

G6 is massive detail with small file sizes - its a no brainer

no fancy expensive card needed

Im using a regular 32gb san disk extreme card this gives me 2 1/2 hrs of AVCHD 24p recording on a £25 card!!

The quality 1080/60p is tempting, although I'm still holding my breath for getting the Canon 50D & BMPCC combo.

[Also for a long time now I'm planning to publish a video oriented review about the good old Pentax K-5.

That cam is great, and no one knows about it. You can bring out a lot from that MJPEG 4:2:2. With a few tricks you can get a really decent dynamic range and all the manual controls you need. Not to mention the stabilized sensor.]

Hmm very tempted

Only thing keeping me with the RX100 is the small size and 1080p60
If I could get that with better quality in the same package, then I no longer need both a RX100 and my GH2... :)

Plus I get 24p, 30p and 60p on one cam...

Plus shooting at 60p during a sunny day, helps keep the aperture open a lot more

---

question
does the G6 mic compare to the GH2's? GH2 has a nice internal mic which I do rely on a fair bit