GH5 footage mixed with FS700+odyssey 7q

ulrikjepsen

I was recently a part of making a short movie, and the camera combination used, i thought might interest someone here. Also there might be someone thinking if the FS700 still works today, as i myself did. The film can be seen here (there are no subtitles, but the story is about a woman that gets stopped in the street by the police, because of the hoodie she is wearing. It's at satire on laws currently being implemented i Denmark)

https://www.ekkofilm.dk/shortlist/film/trojen/

For the dialogue parts, we were cutting between a Gh5 and a sony FS700. It worked out great I think, all though it was difficult to get the colors to match. We were also filming outside, so that did not help, with the ever changing sun clouds. For lenses, we used a Canon 24-70 2.8 (with focal reducer) on the GH5, and a Tamron 17-50 2.8 on the FS700.

Can you tell which is which?

camera A

troejen3.thumb.jpg.acf25f799708d4822f257c183fecbdfd.jpg

camera B

troejen5.thumb.jpg.5e535a2c5f851e26d9c716eb90baef42.jpg

I would not use this camera combo for anything that should be matched quickly, but if you have the time, the FS700 files in 10 bit prores slog and the GH5 10 bit vlog files, were super great to work with. The result is not perfect, but we like it. I love both cameras, and I am amazed how great the FS700 and the odyssey 7q are! We were afraid we would have to change batteries all the time, but big NP-F batteries lastede around 2 hours each (1 in the cam that lasted longer and 1 in the odyssey 7q). Mounted on a shoulder rig, the FS700 is also pretty comfortable, in comparison with for instance, an URSA Mini and weighs about the same, with the odyssey. The buttons are a pain to reach though.

For those interested, the dialogue was recorded with at Røde NTG1 shotgun mic to a Tascam 60d.

Here are some other shots from the film.

(if there is banding in the footage where you see it, it is jpeg/web compression, it is not in the final video file.)

troejen4.thumb.jpg.f94b21f6238073b884ae6b584938a801.jpg

troejen2.thumb.jpg.22a5e16a557c2158de6e6c2e38262dd4.jpg

troejen1.thumb.jpg.9458b306c68b234a1ba89e74581661b3.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/23/2019 at 9:22 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Is camera A the GH5? The Sony cinema cameras are really interesting for the price some can be had at. Everyone always complains about Sony color so its a hard sell for me. 

Camera A is actually the FS700. I think the colors are not bad, but their cine-cams are a lot better with than the mirrorless sonys. I read someone saying, that the colors are more natural, and thats what we view as bad? I think the sony colors are great for products, landscapes and so on. But for people, canon and blackmagic are great. But then again, with the raw to prores on the sony, you can grade the colors to be awesome on the sony also :)

10 hours ago, ulrikjepsen said:

Camera A is actually the FS700. I think the colors are not bad, but their cine-cams are a lot better with than the mirrorless sonys. I read someone saying, that the colors are more natural, and thats what we view as bad? I think the sony colors are great for products, landscapes and so on. But for people, canon and blackmagic are great. But then again, with the raw to prores on the sony, you can grade the colors to be awesome on the sony also :)

Lots of people complain about the GH5 and GH5S colors as well though?

The FS5 is really tempting to me. With the atomos recorders it can do 12 bit prores RAW now up to 120fps. The FS700 is really nice too although I like the FS5 form factor. 

On 4/25/2019 at 8:05 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Lots of people complain about the GH5 and GH5S colors as well though?

The FS5 is really tempting to me. With the atomos recorders it can do 12 bit prores RAW now up to 120fps. The FS700 is really nice too although I like the FS5 form factor. 

I think people complain in general! ;) The GH5 is awesome, i only shoot log, and the image is always great, but do require a little work. I would also rather have the FS5 than the FS700, but got a great offer on the fs700, so went that way :)