Hands-on with the Canon 5D Mark III video mode

Andrew Reid

[quote author=sandro link=topic=368.msg2318#msg2318 date=1331143169]
[quote author=Shawn_Lights link=topic=368.msg2317#msg2317 date=1331142493]
The $4,000 - $10,000 range will be where the mid-range pro cameras will be. The C-DSLR will most likely fall between there. We want so much for such a low price. I don't think, at least not now, we will get a camera with all the features we want for under $4,000. Just doesn't make sense to me.

We deal with the short comings of DSLRs because they produce great images and are cheap. However, if you want the amazing video features, expect to pay more. The 5D2 was over $2,000. I expect the C-DSLR to at least double that.

The C300 and F3 is on the same level. Hopefully Canon creates the C-DSLR to be on the same level as the FS100. $5,000 is reasonable if they add the features we see in cameras like the FS100 and keep a body like a DSLR. I think Canon is going to try and put the C-DSLR in the FS100 price point. That's my guess based on wishful thinking  ::)
[/quote]

Then they can keep it :)
What will sell more a $700-800 DSRL with a GH2 video (apparently easy to do and not pricey, the hacked GH1 is still better than the Canons!!) with same things the 600D has or an expensive $10k video camera???
[/quote]

I don't like the GH2 when it comes to low light. Cheap cameras will sell more but that doesn't make it better. GH2 is awesome when hacked but I'll take a F3 over it.

I understand people love the GH2 on this site, but if Canon adds the things we really want in a DSLR camera, I don't expect it to be that cheap.

The GH2 is the best deal by far, but It's not the end all be all. If you're expecting a film/cinema camera to be under $3,000 you'll be using the GH2 for the rest of your life, which isn't a problem at all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote]

I don't like the GH2 when it comes to low light. Cheap cameras will sell more but that doesn't make it better. GH2 is awesome when hacked but I'll take a F3 over it.

I understand people love the GH2 on this site, but if Canon adds the things we really want in a DSLR camera, I don't expect it to be that cheap.

The GH2 is the best deal by far, but It's not the end all be all. If you're expecting a film/cinema camera to be under $3,000 you'll be using the GH2 for the rest of your life, which isn't a problem at all.
[/quote]

I love the F3 also but getting 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 out of it isn't cheap.  $14,000 for the camera (s-log now free) plus external recorders makes it a $15,000 camera.

Anyway have you seen what the GH2 can do in low light with Orion?

[url=http://youtu.be/OKTmb8opPEI]http://youtu.be/OKTmb8opPEI[/url]

And was with a soft lens (SLRmagic 12mm) no AF and ISO 3200!

[quote author=Sara link=topic=368.msg2397#msg2397 date=1331353067]
[quote]

[/quote]

I love the F3 also but getting 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 out of it isn't cheap.  $14,000 for the camera (s-log now free) plus external recorders makes it a $15,000 camera.

Anyway have you seen what the GH2 can do in low light with Orion?

[url=http://youtu.be/OKTmb8opPEI]http://youtu.be/OKTmb8opPEI[/url]

And was with a soft lens (SLRmagic 12mm) no AF and ISO 3200!
[/quote]

Yea I saw that and I'll still take a F3 over it. Generally, the GH2 isn't great at low light. I agree with you that Sony price is deceiving. They are however, now adding S-log for free.

Look, you can get great images out of cheap cameras. I agree 100%, I use cheap cameras. However, I find this "GH2 = All I need" and "Canon needs their cinema DSLR to be under $3,000" attitude ridiculous.

How can you ask for all the features and expect it to be cheap. Yes the GH2 and Canon DSLR cameras create awesome images for cheap but don't tell me you don't have to compromise. We need rigs, audio recorders, special cables to make up for the flimsy connectors, etc.

Mid-Level to Pro-level is all about eliminating most of those compromises. What we want is features like the FS100 etc, but still in a DSLR body because we love the way you can get into areas with them. If that is made, paying for it at a similar price as the FS100 isn't unreasonable to me.

As a note: I'm not talking about you specifically. The person who replied to me first felt like $4,000 - $6,000 is too much. I disagree with that and although I think the GH2 is amazing, I'm not the type to act like it's the only thing one needs. It's awesome for starting out, but eventually I would say it's time to move on to something that eliminates those compromises we make when using DSLRs.

"Look, you can get great images out of cheap cameras. I agree 100%, I use cheap cameras. However, I find this "GH2 = All I need" and "Canon needs their cinema DSLR to be under $3,000" attitude ridiculous."

Totally agree shawn.  :)

The one recent development that is great about video is the saturation of the market - rental prices have dropped considerably throughout the US (Europe too?).  Getting the right "tool" for the job is very easy now.

I know some people are not big on renting, but I find it quite valuable.

I think renting is very smart. Weigh the pros and cons, and if renting will save you money go with it. RED cameras are nice but aren't ideal for every situation. Rent it when you need it...simple as that.

Hell you can even rent lenses for dirt cheap now lol.

First off I'd like to say great site this is my first time here and I signed up just to say thank you on this post.

I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a Canon 5D Mark II for such a long time but as the camera is almost 4 years old I waited for the news of the Mark III.  I'm a Nikon Stills shooter but I do own Canon video products.. the D800 came out and my local dealer gave me a great deal, he sent me the dealer PDF for camera cost and told me If i would be willing to unbox in store he would give me the camera at dealer cost.  So of course I did a pre order.  But my heart was in love with the 5D mark II and then they announced the mark III and I got excited but was not blown away.

I feel as if the D800 might out preform the Mark III only for the simple fact that Nikon wanted to show Canon they are in this race and really took out all the stops.  I own a D7000 but would never shoot anything for a client on it. 

This post helped me but at the same time I'm still a little confused.  I have until the camera ships to change my pre order and they do have a 5D Mark III on order for me as well that I can scoop up.

My wife will only let me spend that much money on one camera and my mind is all over the place. On one hand you have the D800 with clean HDMI if i wanted to use the camera for a client I can fire up a ninja and record in my codec of choice or Mark III and have what I think may be better internal stock recording.  It's a hard choice for me.  I'd like the option of better bitrate and uncompressed HDMI recording but at the same time I'm not going to take my ninja with me all the time like I will my camera.

Something about the feel of the Mark II / III has me fall in love with it every time and I won't lie the kit lens that comes with the camera just feels so sexy that I almost bought the damn Mark II a few days ago just because of the lens.

Sorry for the rant , anyone have an opinion on any of this?

mniles - I understand (we all do) your frustration.  You made a great post, didn't seem like a rant.  Everyone is in a "wait and see" mode right now. 

Good news is that we have people like Andrew who run this website / forum who are tireless in their efforts to bring us news about tests done on these 2 cameras.  Keep visiting this website and check the forums because that is really the only way to learn what people think about the D800 or the MK3.

My fiance works with the Alexa on commercial sets and the still photographer guys that document productions - sending back dailies to producers and stills for advertising - are in EXACTLY the same dilemma as you (also with the D4 and 1DX).  They want to shoot video clips with their stills of cars, locations, actors, but the lack of decent sample videos is having them hold off on ordering anything.  And this is true of hundreds of production houses across America.

They have the money to buy / pre-order....but won't until they can test (or read a solid test of a production unit) each camera.

We are all playing the waiting game.

Cheers!

PS:  If these 2 cameras turn out to have very similar video - it will be a matter of the stills then for how important each camera will be to you.  If you do more commercial photography in a studio, stock photography or still life and landscape work, the D800 is most likely your best bet - D800e for $300 more an even better bet.  But if speed and low light, street shooting etc are your thing, pick up a MK3.

IMO lenses are a wash for both systems - both have excellent glass and renting lenses for Canon and Nikon is both cheap and easy.