Short Film with 600D: Messiah

jgharding

Here's my film for this year's Virgin Media Shorts. I don't think it'll embed so if you want to see it you'll need to follow the link.

If you like it, please share on Twitter with #VMShortsVote as they count the shares,

Let me know what you think! Has anyone else entered?

http://www.virginmediashorts.co.uk/film/5002/messiah#ooid=sxZndkZDq3xJs2shDeKoCPKp_abn8Txh

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ha! It's odd I've had two people say "it's a funny punchline!" and many think it's very dark! Interesting...

Two possible reasons. One, I like black humour and tend to think that the most tragic things are the ones that have a element of laughter in it despite all the darkness. Second, I am quite happy these days so I might have approached it with a different feeling.

Hope you didn't consider this as a disrespectful attitude to your work.

May I ask you what your intention was in terms of perception that you expected it to create. 

Two possible reasons. One, I like black humour and tend to think that the most tragic things are the ones that have a element of laughter in it despite all the darkness. Second, I am quite happy these days so I might have approached it with a different feeling.

Hope you didn't consider this as a disrespectful attitude to your work.

May I ask you what your intention was in terms of perception that you expected it to create. 

No it isn't disrespectful, it's great to see how everyone interprets something differently!

I think it's supposed to quite dark, but with a dryly humorous edge. I mean, at the end of the day it's toast, and the big voice is kinda fun, but it's also an examination of mental illness, religion, willpower... is there a God or is God man? and so on... If things are far too serious they lose their punch, so I like to keep a little wink in everything i do...

• Administrators

The macro and the roof top shots, very tense when spliced together for some reason. Very subliminal touch. I think the close ups make the drop feel larger, the roof higher, it's a very powerful technique you've got there! Can I steal it!? :)

Here's my interpretation - God comes across as a malevolent observer, the dark humour works well.

I think it's supposed to quite dark, but with a dryly humorous edge. I mean, at the end of the day it's toast, and the big voice is kinda fun, but it's also an examination of mental illness, religion, willpower... is there a God or is God man? and so on... If things are far too serious they lose their punch, so I like to keep a little wink in everything i do...

I couldn't agree more. Also I am glad to see that you are not an elitist about your art like some as if there is only one way to see things.

The macro and the roof top shots, very tense when spliced together for some reason. Very subliminal touch. I think the close ups make the drop feel larger, the roof higher, it's a very powerful technique you've got there! Can I steal it!? :)

Here's my interpretation - God comes across as a malevolent observer, the dark humour works well.

There's no stealing, only influence ;) I doubt I'm the first to do it...

That's closest to the script I feel. As I don't write it, i also have interpreted in my own way. I talked to Chris but it was more of a arcing development process...

I feel he is someone at his wits end. He hears the voice but that's all I know, is it god or is he hearing his own collapse? Is God revealed making our man a true Messiah, or does he need to hear the voice to save himself? I preferred to pose a question rather than give a "truth"

Sounds a bit deep for two minutes.... But we didn't treat it lightly just because its short. It's not my favorite entry this year though...

Also yes I think it's pointless to be precious. It's a performance of sorts, once you put it out there people own it in their own way, it's not just mine, it's also every viewer's. the authorial intent is important to an academic, but not a viewer really... What's is important is that they have a reaction full stop. It's hard to move people at all these days.

Great work! There was only one thing I found out of place - I would have preferred having the water faucet mixed down far lower. Try mixing it lower, and I think you'll find your piece even better :)

Cheers!

(edit: for clarification, I'm on my macbook speakers now, and the faucet stood out on those speakers)

Great work! There was only one thing I found out of place - I would have preferred having the water faucet mixed down far lower. Try mixing it lower, and I think you'll find your piece even better :)

Cheers!

(edit: for clarification, I'm on my macbook speakers now, and the faucet stood out on those speakers)

Thanks for the tip, I'll give a try if I do another export after the competition, for Vimeo!