iPad for actual work rollcall

kaylee

Funny how everyone dismisses Windows, but we have replaced all our previous Apple devices with Android/Windows. 

Last castle is falling tmrow that my Surface Go will replace the Air 2 (completely useless for almost everything, not even the slightest of multitasking) we have, but the war was won when I gave me lady an S9+ instead of her iPhone last year!

You can wait for whenever Apple will give you ports (or take the few you have!), or true file systems, or logical solutions to reasonable needs, or just spend less for more and go a different OS.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

As an experiment, I installed Resolve 16 on the cheap SurfaceGo to see if the new Cut page could be the LumaFusion with ProRes and better file handling option replacement.

It kind of almost sort of worked OK but obviously the UI is not designed for touch input so you are tied in to using the keyboard/trackpad.

If BM had a mind to re-skin it for a touch interface (and running it on the SurfacePro obviously) it would probably be the solution I'm after but I doubt they are in a hurry to ever do that. 

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

As an experiment, I installed Resolve 16 on the cheap SurfaceGo to see if the new Cut page could be the LumaFusion with ProRes and better file handling option replacement.

It kind of almost sort of worked OK but obviously the UI is not designed for touch input so you are tied in to using the keyboard/trackpad.

I am waiting the 8GB RAM one, do you think it is possible to run Resolve? 

Any other options for very light stuff?

I decided against the Surface 6 for price/portability/USB C, so I wasn't expecting anything out of it, but I am wondering..

I love keyboards! 

Seriously, maybe a pen/touch interface can be possible. Editing apps are too complicated to have only touch interface, or else it could be a tap marathon.

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am waiting the 8GB RAM one, do you think it is possible to run Resolve? 

Any other options for very light stuff?

I decided against the Surface 6 for price/portability/USB C, so I wasn't expecting anything out of it, but I am wondering..

I love keyboards! 

There is an 8GB version of the SurfaceGo but how good it would be for running Resolve in a meaningful way (ie for colour correction and the rest of it) as opposed to purely using it for the Cut page I would still be very cautious. 

On my 4GB one it loads, responds reasonably OK playing back HD media and exports at about 2-3x real time but the interface is way too small to do anything with, although learning the keyboard shortcuts would be a way for me to go ! 

I think a new generation of the SurfacePro is not far off so I would certainly be interested in trying that out as a PC definitely has more potential for other things such as running vMix to do live switching. 

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

There is an 8GB version of the SurfaceGo but how good it would be for running Resolve in a meaningful way (ie for colour correction and the rest of it) as opposed to purely using it for the Cut page I would still be very cautious. 

On my 4GB one it loads, responds reasonably OK playing back HD media and exports at about 2-3x real time but the interface is way too small to do anything with, although learning the keyboard shortcuts would be a way for me to go ! 

I think a new generation of the SurfacePro is not far off so I would certainly be interested in trying that out as a PC definitely has more potential for other things such as running vMix to do live switching. 

You can use a monitor or hotel TV for the interface, the important thing is if it can handle some editing.

You can not expect too much from a medium priced tablet replacement, making a few basic tasks on the field and maybe later in the hotel can be enough.

The Pro line has left behind a lot. 

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

You can use a monitor or hotel TV for the interface, the important thing is if it can handle some editing.

You can not expect too much from a medium priced tablet replacement, making a few basic tasks on the field and maybe later in the hotel can be enough.

The Pro line has left behind a lot. 

For it to replace the iPadPro/LumaFusion, for me at least, it has to be self contained as I use it there and then in the field to do quick pieces.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, LumaFusion is my favourite editor irrespective of platform as I don't have particularly sophisticated needs but it just lacks that ProRes import which is more important to me now and the file handling is, erm, less than optimum !

I'm now re-visiting my own integrated portable auto backup/transcoding/file serving device that could solve those issues and might be useful for other people as well.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, LumaFusion is my favourite editor irrespective of platform as I don't have particularly sophisticated needs but it just lacks that ProRes import which is more important to me now and the file handling is, erm, less than optimum !

I'm now re-visiting my own integrated portable auto backup/transcoding/file serving device that could solve those issues and might be useful for other people as well.

Make the e-ND first!

How do you import and where do you store the imported videos?

The Surface has a USB C port that you can do litteraly anything, and a micro SD expansion slot that one can use to store and export at will, or even transfer DJI footage. Also RAM is very important, and 8GB can be enough for a lot of basic tasks. A few years ago we were editing on 8GB RAMed desktops!

• Super Members
39 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Make the e-ND first!

I am actually getting on with that, despite appearances to the contrary!

39 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

How do you import and where do you store the imported videos?

The Surface has a USB C port that you can do litteraly anything, and a micro SD expansion slot that one can use to store and export at will, or even transfer DJI footage. Also RAM is very important, and 8GB can be enough for a lot of basic tasks. A few years ago we were editing on 8GB RAMed desktops!

Currently through the SD car/lightning adapter.

LumaFusion can save a project archive including the source clips to cloud services if you have the bandwidth but it can also do it to a wireless drive so I just use a WD NAS when I get home.

I got this dock for my SurfaceGo which clips on the side in the USB C port and adds a bunch of expansion ports and readers to it.

It was £12. I dread to think how much an Apple one would be if they ever offered such an option !

61JIeqWfsnL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.b060503087289d351b04258b80477ffe.jpg

Just to say - for those that dont know (like I didnt) - it is actually possible to send A7iii/A7riii videos to the ipad pro via usb-c (to usb-c) - you send directly from the camera.

1. Set the usb connection on the A7iii to MTP.

2. Turn off usb power supply.

Connect the ipad. If your card is relatively full it may well give a 'no photos to import' message but it is just taking its time to read the card. You import via the photos app. Import time are painfully slow - 8MB/sec - so I timed a 1.9gb file at 4 minutes to transfer