EOSHD 50D Raw Shooter's Guide now available

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love Magic Lantern and what they do . 

But,  i think they could be much better if they became more professional and charged for something for it.

It's great, but its kind of a mess. If they don't someone will...

I  bought the Andy's guide and am glad to support his efforts.

50D camera test after installing http://vimeo.com/70507862

Thanks,

Tim

I'm interested in what this magic lantern hack is going to mean for the future of film production . Whats going to happen when anyone can go out and buy a super 35mm raw cinema camera off craigslist for 400.00 , download a free copy of Davinci Resolve and make a movie?

Not saying my little test is anything special, but when i first saw it in person on my cinema display, my jaw hit the floor. 

What does this mean for Red?

• Administrators

I'm interested in what this magic lantern hack is going to mean for the future of film production . Whats going to happen when anyone can go out and buy a super 35mm raw cinema camera off craigslist for 400.00 , download a free copy of Davinci Resolve and make a movie?

Not saying my little test is anything special, but when i first saw it in person on my cinema display, my jaw hit the floor. 

What does this mean for Red?

Well we already can do that pretty much, and it won't affect Red because they are catering to a much higher end market.

Talent, ideas and creativity is still the dividing factor. It always was. That doesn't mean to say gear doesn't matter. It does, and it is a fantastic opportunity we've all got as filmmakers to make use of these $400 or $1000 cinema cameras.

However you must take into account marketing and promotions into account, and the online world. Your film can be as good as you like but if you can't make money from it and nobody sees it, that's a problem.

Thanks for your custom Andy.

I know there's a new internet generation of people who love to give for free and (especially) receive for free but let's see how long quality and livelihoods survive for if that becomes the norm :)

I will always buy your books I find them very interesting and well written.

anything that is creative costs time and money to make -

Someone has to have the talent to make it so you have to pay for it - I'm just not into this 'I expect everything for free culture' 

it drags the industry down to a race to the bottom......

and then there will be no creative people left .

so buy Andrew's guide - he has done more for DSLR shooters than anyone else I know....period!

Thanks Andrew, installing on my iPad now to read on tomorrow's flight. 

Oh and if anyone wants to know a good way to get Andrew's book in to iBooks, you email yourself the book, open it on your iPad, then click the arrow at the top right corner of the pdf reader and choose "Open in iBooks".  It will then be a permanent part of your library, under iBooks/Collections/PDF's.

Cheers

When I had enought money to buy a camera one year and a half ago, I choose de Sony Nex 5N, not only becouse it was a little cheaper but because It have one more usable iso stop and more Dinamic Range out of the box, then ML came, and I stil prefer this camera over t2i, t3i t4i, but now RAW on 50D. And is just amazing.  I have two Questions, and this is becouse In my country México a used 50D is around 900 us dolars, not as cheap as in the US

Is the h.264 stable enough to try change my 5N for a 50d?

How do this camera performs on low light because the 5N is not a low light monster but beat lots of entry level DSLR and even 7D in the Dark.

Oh one more, Is there a Work around for a slow computer?

Thanks and sorry for my poor English.

Te lo digo mejor en Español, la 50d esta muy bien para grabar tomas con un toque muy especial, con el modo zoom puedes hacer unas tomas de una nitidez y resolución increíbles, sin embargo todo es muy coñazo y ortopédico. Aparte, a esos 900$ le tienes que sumar las tarjetas 1000x y probablemente tengas que comprarte un disco duro nuevo porque 10 segundos son fácilmente 800mb, 20 minutos son 96gigabytes (fullhd). No olvides tampoco el moiré que es bastante pronunciado. 

Preguntas por el modo h264, no tiene sonido, es un poco coñazo sincronizar el sonido así y por lo que necesitarás una grabadora externa (si es que no la tienes ya). En ambos modos la batería se gasta rápidamente, necesitarás varias baterías y por lo menos un cargador doble (si grabas mucho).

Si grabas poco y muy intenso con tomas cortas, ve a por la 50D. Para todo lo demás quédate donde estás porque la 50D no es un sustituto real. 

Por cierto, la 50D no es un monstruo low light, anda bastante justita.

Sorry for the Spanish :p