14 stops RAW Video on 5DIII!

ScreensPro

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139

Quoted from A1ex:

"Time for the first real image quality improvement in ML history smiley.gif

Here's a trick that samples half of the sensor at ISO 100 and the other half at ISO 1600, for example. If you mix these two, you can get almost the entire dynamic range the sensor is capable of (around 14 stops). 5D3/7D only.

There are no motion artifacts; not even a difference in motion blur for the two exposures. So, it works well for fast moving subjects."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For video it only works on the 5D3, and there is a resolution loss in the shadows and highlights (because half the pixels will be pure black/blown out).

I can't wait to see the results though. The Alexa does something similar (albeit in hardware i think) with their dual gain sensors.

5DIII has much better hardware, so we are gonna get some benefits that others wont.

Most images the midtones take up the majority of the image, so I don't think the resolution drop will be substantial..... Certainly not h264 level resolution, i'm sure.

Can't wait to test it.

It will probably introduce at least slight aliasing/moire and possibly quite significant. It is not going to be the same as a 14-stop full-res sensor with a modern downsampling technique. But it might be better than chopped liver (certainly will be better than any line-skipping implementation or native res sensor I would think).

Update...yes quite significant, look at the lamp in the upper left corner...awful aliasing in the dual RAW.

https://vimeo.com/70459941

The noise could probably have been swatted somewhat with Neat in the normal RAW. I personally have never seen noise like that out of a 5D3 FWIW...

As stated in the Vimeo description

"This test was designed to be a worst case scenario. Bright light in a dim room room including fabric textures to help reveal moire."

I think this beast can be tamed... and, let's remember, only about 5% of shots would ever need more than the base 12 stops of DR.... So it is a good little tool to have.... I'd rather deal with some moire/aliasing then have blown whites or very noisy shadows.

I think this beast can be tamed... and, let's remember, only about 5% of shots would ever need more than the base 12 stops of DR.... So it is a good little tool to have.... I'd rather deal with some moire/aliasing then have blown whites or very noisy shadows.

5%? If you are shooting in daylight, without secondary light sources, 12(11.7) stops is not optimal.  

• Administrators

I've been testing this today and indeed the dynamic range is insane, proper Alexa league stuff.

The problem is, I don't believe the image is usable yet.

http://www.eoshd.com/uploads/5d3-hdrx.jpg

Alex says he will optimise it but it needs very complex maths.

The problem is, some sites out there have jumped on this like it is a free pass to 14 stops of DR. It isn't. That's what happens when the people writing the hype-articles never shoot or test anything with their own two hands before blogging it.  :wacko: