Biggest European dealer CVP 'in the dark' over new Blackmagic cameras

Andrew Reid

2nd year running! Completely unacceptable.

Blackmagic are risking serious reputation damage with this.

I think they already have the bad reputation for meeting deadlines, so i'm not sure if it will change much. You can't count on them to deliver on time, but once the customers get the product in their hand, they seem satisfied. 

The only way i see this killing them is if they are so late that someone else beats them to the market. 

Speaking of which, if it's possible, can we convince Nokia to put a raw recording option on the Lumina 1020?  

Just kidding. Wait, am I?  :blink:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not sure if you noticed but Magic Lantern did 2 months ago.

The lower end Canons can't do full 1080p raw though, correct? The 5D mk3 is great but well over double the price of the bmpcc.

Lastly, I can adapt my minolta lenses to mft, don't think I can do that to canon ef mount.

Of course for canon lens owners it is a different matter.

Talking with my dealer, he said his Dist can't give a definitive date and there's a huge back log so he doesn't think he'll see one till late Aug or even September. As far as b&h is concerned I'm figuring BM gave them a tease to appease their customer base to buy some Time. Could be mistaken but Wooden camera had one to show off their new pocket camera rig but didn't include any footage, I found that pretty strange. Thanks

• Administrators

Of course you fell for this blatant ass covering by CVP.

B&H has all current variants in stock. 

Really? B&H has every variant of BM camera in stock including Pocket and 4K? Very strange comment, from a strange new user.

Really? B&H has every variant of BM camera in stock including Pocket and 4K? Very strange comment, from a strange new user.

I think he was just referring to the original BMCC in Canon and MFT mount.  Those are all the current variants as the Pocket Cinema Camera and the 4K camera have not started shipping.  The original camera is listed in stock at B+H.  I didn't read it as a strange comment at all.

"Every variant", and said in context of a discussion about the Pocket Camera.

If he didn't mean that he's free to correct me, but you can't exactly blame me for my interpretation of English.

I don't see any reason to think they have not received any pocket-cameras. He probably meant "in stock" as they have received few in the warehouse and will start shipping the first pre-orders soon. If Wooden camera has a model to start showing off, it seems quite likely that BH got a few too.

• Administrators

If B&H is overflowing with Pocket Cameras, then why aren't they telling people that? That would be a strange choice, considering their goal is to make money by selling cameras.

Indeed. The silence speaks volumes.

oops...I pressed report instead of quote, so if anyone got a report on them from me, disregard..... This is what I wrote;

It's pretty common to have a set release date (for instance July 25th). They (BH) would get stock ahead of that, and obviously with probably 1000s of pre-orders, they won't have any for sale in the store, and most likely only able to fulfill some of the pre-orders. Nobody is saying that they have loads of these. Mark only said "Pocket will start shipping VERY soon".

I'm sure he wasn't referring to unreleased cameras...

I'd like to think that BMD's silence means all is going according to plan.

It's not that uncommon to only see images once the cameras are out, they might be optimizing it till the very last day.

Most people see the 4k camera as a whole new product that will be a cumbersome task for they to overcome, but it's basically the BMCC with a different sensor, should be no big deal really.

Also, I learned that pre orders are for fools. From all the few things I've preordered lately, I got none before they were easily available everywhere else, what's the point? (on top of being a greater risk since you don't get to read all the reviews beforehand)

Sorry, but this is comparing apples to oranges. The only Canon/Magic Lantern camera shooting raw at acceptable resolutions and costing less than $1000 is the 50D. That's a hefty camera without sound recording and a 15 megapixel instead of a native 1080p sensor, thus causing scaling/moiree/aliasing artefacts (or forcing you into a zoom mode for which no adequate focal length lenses fit the Canon EF mount). What's more, raw video on it is currently highly experimental, unreliable and prone to glitches in daily operation. And it has no ProRes+log codec as a daily workhouse HQ video recording fallback.

For what is worth, my source in B&H send me this info 

“Both of them are suppose to start to ship the last week of July out of the mfg to the dist. 

We hope to get some of them early August”

mfg = manufacturing

dist = distribuitor

It could maybe explain why they changed status, or maybe not ;)

I made a joke when I heard the announcement in April. "It ships in July? That means it will ship July 31, 2013 at 11:59pm (so they can say it started shipping in July)."  Of course I didn't realize this joke would nearly become reality. Their silence is quite annoying. Even if they begin to ship next week and we see amazing footage, I still don't like how they keep people in the dark. They ship a great camera, then wait let's make an MFT, oh wait let's add a global shutter and 4k, oh wait let's do a pocket camera.  I had an order like Andrew for the MFT and as of today it STILL HAS NOT ARRIVED!!!! So I continue on with my GH2's and Broadcast ENG cams. I truly hope they will be victorious. (over Canon).  Canon's supremacy allows them to sell a C300 for $13,999 and call it a deal and sell a C100 for $5,999.00. If I had it my way a great camera manufacturer would come along and with their amazing sales in cameras would force the C300 to come down to C100 pricing and the C100 wouldn't exist. There I said it. So Blackmagic, I have high hopes for you to severely kick butt. So far, however, you're scaring us like last year again. I've cancelled my MFT and have my deposit on the 4k and pocket cam.

True, but not comparable, unless you're talking 5DmIII (which, when price is factored in, obviously isn't camparable); I bought a 50D last month, solely because of ML hack, I played around with it, exciting stuff, ended up selling it after a month. It will never have 1080p without using stupid crop mode which makes it unusable IMO, left with 1600something by 800something.
Awesome hack for sure, but not equal to dedicated RAW camera.

Also, I learned that pre orders are for fools. From all the few things I've preordered lately, I got none before they were easily available everywhere else, what's the point? (on top of being a greater risk since you don't get to read all the reviews beforehand)

That was true for me with the GH3. But as the pocket has limited sellers, a pre order might be more needed.