Biggest European dealer CVP 'in the dark' over new Blackmagic cameras

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just playing devil's advocate here, but didn't USA orders of the BMCC ship first(by a few months or so) before European orders? Also the first BMCC had issues that either needed physical repair or a firmware fix , so I'm not holding my breath the early versions of the new cameras will be bug free.  Specs look amazing and so does the Brawley BMPCC footage though...

https://vimeo.com/68895788

Well, as late as mid-June* Black Magic representant says that they have not had any issues. Judging by what he says, it sounds like IF there would be any delay it's a matter of a few weeks - not months.

If they've kept to their roadmap as far as 1-1.5 months before launch, I doubt shipping would be too much delayed that late in the production process. Question is just in what volumes.

* The article posted 22nd of June says the interview was shot in the same week: http://www.newsshooter.com/2013/06/22/broadcast-asia-2013-blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-update-youll-see-them-in-july-for-sure/

A friend of mine got his Pocket Camera yesterday. He ordered it during NAB, shortly after the camrea was announced.
He also ordered the 4K Camera, but no sign of that one yet.

I very much doubt this information, either he hasn't received it yet or he preordered another camera MFT maybe?

Quote from Christine Peterson re. Pocket Cam (from BM forum):

"I'm sorry that there have been some misunderstandings about the ship date. To my knowledge, we have always simply stated "Shipping in July" without giving any specific date, whether it be the 1st or 25th. The engineering team still sounds confident that cameras will ship before the end of July."

This coupled with Firmware updates tweeted by JB, is something to keep the ants out of your pants!

Got to have some faith & I like the way she picks the 25th (instead of the 31st) in her timeline.

You've also got to think about how many people would have ordered the Pocket & wait your turn.

If i'd plumped for one of the other cameras, i would certainly loose enthusiasm after a few months & buy a 5D3...but this would only be for Raw as its H264 is still shit.

I very much doubt this information, either he hasn't received it yet or he preordered another camera MFT maybe?

He ordered the Pocket Camera and the 4K camera.
Apparently the rental company received the Pocket Cam this week. He'll pick it up next week.
I'll believe it, once I see it myself :D

That's one of the reasons I'm looking for the Digital Bolex D16 to ship!

A little early to judge the BM team yet, and it is funny that you are still waiting for the Digital Bolex. Looks like a great camera, but really, complain about BM's ability to deliver, when you have companies like Digital Bolex out there?

I find it unethical and a lack of respect to tell people "we'll deliver for sure at that date" and then leave customers in the void.

They're not late yet, they don't have to keep reminding people that they're still on schedule, do they?

A little early to judge the BM team yet, and it is funny that you are still waiting for the Digital Bolex. Looks like a great camera, but really, complain about BM's ability to deliver, when you have companies like Digital Bolex out there?

Look, the FUBAR situation with the BMCC was in some sense forgivable considering the enormity of what BMD was trying to do at the time: They were going into uncharted territories, competing with companies that are literally 100X if not 1000X their size.

But now that BMD has been through all this once before, significant delays with the new cameras, without reasonable forewarning,  will make it seem more like a corporate philosophy of deception, and less like a poor upstart learning the hard way.

You're right about judging the BM team too early. I must admit I'm a bit irritated that their website says that the Pocket will record raw where they say in interviews that this has not been tested yet and that it may come in a future firmware update, etc.

Now, this is fresh news from Digital Bolex : http://www.digitalbolex.com/getting_ready/

Basically, they're about to ship their first batch.

I don't want to start at BMPocket vs Digital Bolex D16 thread, as I think they are different tools anyway. But it's good to see the D16 being almost ready for assembling where some people have been talking of "vapourware".

They're not late yet, they don't have to keep reminding people that they're still on schedule, do they?

You're right.

Like I said, I'm a bit irritated by BM bold marketing and communication, but maybe that's just me. They show picture of someone shooting in the desert under bright sunlight where I'm not sure how feasible it would be to focus from this camera's screen in such a real life situation.

I find it great that they try their best to bring raw and overall good quality picture to the masses, though.