Biggest European dealer CVP 'in the dark' over new Blackmagic cameras

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

It is mid-July and the new Blackmagic cameras - Pocket Cinema Camera and Production 4K Camera are due to ship imminently, which I am very much looking forward to. In anticipation I have been building up a collection of Super 16mm c-mount glass for my Pocket Cinema Camera.

However in my inbox today was a frustrated sounding email from London's CVP titled 'When will I get my Blackmagic Cinema Camera? As last July, Blackmagic are unable to tell them when they will receive camera shipments and in what quantities.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10792/biggest-european-dealer-cvp-in-the-dark-over-new-blackmagic-cameras]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I cancelled my Blackmagic Order for the 4K model. I spent the money I got back going to see the Adam Curtis and Massive Attack documentary in Manchester (whihc as you know was amazing) and pocketed the rest.

I couldn't deal with heaving no idea when they were going to ship, and thus whip the money out of my account.

I think I may sell all my S35 old cine lenses end up with a MKiii before the year is out, just for practicality's sake...

"I feel compelled to join the dots and it doesn’t paint a pretty picture. If Blackmagic don’t know how many cameras they are able to make and when, that points to not having a predictable and steady production chain going."

So I thought that the BMCC was supposed to be "Camera of the Year" for 2012
What Happened Andrew?

I'd hate to say that BlackMagic is following in the footsteps of RED Scarlet. A disasterous roll out.

Worse still, they may end up shipping but will not be able to sustain after-market support or timely product refresh's.

Is this the second most hyped up roll out in HD camera history to date?

Perhaps BlackMagic ought to sell out to a real camera maker and stick to recorders and drives.

If ever somebody had good intentions, it's Blackmagic. 

B&H has an arrival date in bold red:  "Expected availability July 25, 2013"...  <_<
Though I'm sure that number could be anything from 1 to whatever...  Blackmagic is doing an event that day as well however, where they'll have all the cameras, actual "footage"  (4k footage anyone?), various cinematographers, etc.  on display... 

Sounds like CVP are nipping negativity in the bud now and who can blame them.

I guess no one would be surprised if the cameras were ridiculously late, but less than a month ago someone from BMD said things were looking good for a July release, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. A 2-4 weeks delay in a product like this would be nothing really.

old bolex made 40 years ago crap tired arri 2 you can use it now and in der future.
the film look is kind of natural yes no
no time,iphone looki loop ground hog late days.
no black magic here just clockwork swiss or german speckle finish 1950s metal and kodak analogue love.
old reality not fat bloke cock fighting future fantasy

https://vimeo.com/20324795

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iun_OQfh8

I still think it's worth the wait.  $4000 for 4k raw/prores or $1000 for raw/prores video?  I can wait another 6 months for those things.  I don't know of anything else that is out there that comes close in terms of price/features.  If there is, let me know and I'll put my order in for those cameras.  The ML mark iii raw workflow is still in Alpha, so I don't really count that yet.  

Was anyone really expecting Black Magic to deliver in mass quantities on July 25, 2013?

I know we all hoped they would.  I bet Black Magic thought they would too, but really I thought, at best, it would go to a few ambassadors and we would get ours a few months down the line.  At worst, we all wait another 6-12 months and we just keep shooting how we are shooting now.  We still have great cameras to work with.

Andrew is probably one of those few ambassadors to get theirs early.  But I don't mind.  He does a ton of work getting information out to the community.  I appreciate his findings before I get mine so I don't have to go through so much trial and error.

Black Magic might consider learning the phrase, "under-promise and over-deliver."  It will add to their goodwill/brand.  Imagine if they said they would deliver in 2014 but actually delivered in July 2013?  We would be blown away.

Got this e-mail today as well & it does read as a kinda "Stop asking, we don't have anymore info than you!" type thing.

They probably will start shipping some units by the end of July (don't think they can afford not to), but to whom & how many is anyone's guess!

I'd be prepared to wait a few months, maybe six, but not a year - the 5D3 would be too tempting!

Or i'd spend the money & rent something better...

But i suppose its always been a waiting game & that's how it goes...

• Administrators

Andrew is probably one of those few ambassadors to get theirs early.  But I don't mind.  He does a ton of work getting information out to the community.  I appreciate his findings before I get mine so I don't have to go through so much trial and error.

Nope. Just like last time I have put down a wad of cash like everyone else, will wait in the queue like everyone else, and be disappointed like everyone else when it fails to arrive on time.

I definitely recommend anyone who doesn't think the BMCC would be for them, on the grounds of the lack of production on their newest products to go with Canon or any other cam on the grounds of availability. I on the other hand did get my orders this year, two BMCC2.5's and have a confirmation on the pocket cam to be received this year. I ordered my cameras last year and knew enough how the industry works that i wouldn't get them til this year. My order on the 4k, i wouldn't anticipate to get it this year also, and thats ok. I will never go back to Canon for any professional work and will stick with Blackmagic just based on the workflow and quality. In this industry you have to be patience enough to know that new products are never going to be on time, just like RED ONE wasn't.

That event in LA on July 25 will give answers for good or bad. Could be really awkward if they dont have good news. Though its likely it will be a media event big on hype that will leave us still guessing for the most part.

The firmware updates I linked to earlier...can't tell if this reveals anything about them being on schedule or not. I'm still optimistic in general as the company still is offering value, unlike Apple which at this stage mainly teases you.

I saw a quote about the event in LA from Grant. It said something to the effect of wanting to give people more exposure with the camera. It's interesting that he wasn't quoted as saying the camera will be ready. If the camera isn't ready, then yeah, giving people more exposure will be helpful because they won't be getting the camera. If that indeed is the case, then I find it to be a bad idea from a marketing standpoint, not to mention the fact that customer appreciation is potentially about to wane. It's not like they have a foundation of confidence to stand upon.

What a great forum here, such a wonderful and timely article. In researching what lens are best suited for the pocket cam (I always check here first, ha) i came across this and I like to say thanks...with that said I ordered the pocket cam today (us) and my dealer said there's no info when they're shipping. He's calling this week so I'll keep you all posted on what he comes back with. Not that I'm in a rush and I agree it'll be worth the wait. Am I correct to think with some lenses we'll be able to use image stabilization? Heard some good news about auto focus, any insight on future firmware updates? At 10 bits it must have a pretty powerful processor, that could leave some room for even more improvements down the road. Thanks

It will be a real shame if they don't manage to ship in time, specially since they said the cameras were shipping for sure in July. hopefully it will only be a month or 2 of delay. The amount of people that had canceled 2.5k pre-orders, or even forgot about them is quite bad. A lot of people stopped caring a long time ago.

On a positive note, I've been collecting bmcc footage for quite some time now and the footage that comes out of this camera is truly amazing and can be very cinematic.

So this is what keeps me going, and makes me think the wait will be worth it. I am getting a pocket camera by the way, 1st in the queue ;)

The CVP message is very sad news. Personally, I'm still waiting for the BMCC with MFT mount. And waiting, and waiting.
Sometimes a thought crosses my mind that would fit into a possible second "trickle-to-the-dealers" scenario:
What if some parts of BMCC cameras were supposed to be manufactured in the infamous special economic area of North Korea?
The whole period of BM's supply problems coincides with the shutdown of Korean political relations.

Sounds somewhat absurd, but still...
Maybe it's just a silly guess to entertain myself in the BMCC waiting lounge.