Where is PerfectCam® ?

zephyrnoid

5D3+RAW looks interesting but what are the downsides please?
What we now need is a more convergent camera:A D7100GH3BMCC as it were ;)
let's call it... the  PerfectCam®

Clean HDMI out for 4:2:2 uncompressed external recording and live view over a remote monitor - D7100
The nice 50MBS bitrate options and 60fps/1080p of the GH3
The lovely quiet mirrorless functionality of the GH3/ BMCC
The virtually moire free images of the D7100
The ideal DX crop of 1.5, again of the D7100 (smarter lens choices)
The better DR of the D7100 or best DR of the BMCC.
In camera IS of the Olympus
Constant aperture as in latest gen Lumix lenses
Not sure what real-word record times in one clip are these days. But I need 30 minutes at least and preferably longer.
for an extra $1000 give it all to us in something that is not a DSLR form factor.PLEASE!
Net cost body less lenses- how about $2000 even ?
Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Clean HDMI out for 4:2:2 uncompressed external recording and live view over a remote monitor - D7100

I'd question why you needed uncompressed HDMI for external recording when you get what else you ask for on the list.

Certainly with the image quality of raw on a 5D Mark III you don't need no stinky external box!

The nice 50MBS bitrate options and 60fps/1080p of the GH3

Again, kind of makes request for HDMI recording redundant. 60fps on the G6 and GH3 is nice but you can use Twixtor on 5D footage, or record at lower resolutions for raw 60fps.

The virtually moire free images of the D7100

The 5D Mark III is also virtually moire free, as was the GH2.

The ideal DX crop of 1.5, again of the D7100 (smarter lens choices)

I'd ask yourself why DX crop is ideal, or why Nikon have smarter lens choices. The Nikon mount is the most limiting of all mounts in terms of what you can put on it. DX crop = Super 35mm but I'd take full frame over that given the choice, to use all that glorious full frame glass to the max and get more control over depth of field.

In camera IS of the Olympus

Would be nice, but some of the newer lenses come close. Hybrid ultrasonic IS on the 100mm F2.8 is very good. The new Power OIS (supersedes older MEGA OIS) on the updated 14-140mm from Panasonic is also very effective, and will be nice with raw on the BMCC.

Constant aperture as in latest gen Lumix lenses

A few high end Canon zooms have F2.8 constant apertures. There's the new Sigma F1.8 zoom coming up too which will be very nice for APS-C / 50D raw.

Not sure what real-word record times in one clip are these days. But I need 30 minutes at least and preferably longer.

Why? For events?

for an extra $1000 give it all to us in something that is not a DSLR form factor.PLEASE!

DSLR form factor isn't the issue for me, I like it. It is more the lack of built in ND is, and the consumer connectivity.

Net cost body less lenses- how about $2000 even ?
Thanks

Now we are dreaming :)

I'd be very happy with compressed raw internally, at 4:2:2 10-bit or better.

(I THINK bmpcc will have this)

I have never been impressed with twixtor footage, granted I have seen mostly ultra-slomo with ugly artifacting. Also, it is not cheap... what is the point in not wanting 60p in camera???

I hit the back arrow and wipped 20 minutes of my responses out! Not going to redo it.
Oh well!

----

I'd question why you needed uncompressed HDMI for external recording when you get what else you ask for on the list.

Certainly with the image quality of raw on a 5D Mark III you don't need no stinky external box!

Again, kind of makes request for HDMI recording redundant. 60fps on the G6 and GH3 is nice but you can use Twixtor on 5D footage, or record at lower resolutions for raw 60fps.

The 5D Mark III is also virtually moire free, as was the GH2.

I'd ask yourself why DX crop is ideal, or why Nikon have smarter lens choices. The Nikon mount is the most limiting of all mounts in terms of what you can put on it. DX crop = Super 35mm but I'd take full frame over that given the choice, to use all that glorious full frame glass to the max and get more control over depth of field.

Would be nice, but some of the newer lenses come close. Hybrid ultrasonic IS on the 100mm F2.8 is very good. The new Power OIS (supersedes older MEGA OIS) on the updated 14-140mm from Panasonic is also very effective, and will be nice with raw on the BMCC.

A few high end Canon zooms have F2.8 constant apertures. There's the new Sigma F1.8 zoom coming up too which will be very nice for APS-C / 50D raw.

Why? For events?

DSLR form factor isn't the issue for me, I like it. It is more the lack of built in ND is, and the consumer connectivity.

Now we are dreaming :)

Can you share some samples. "Cinema" is a rather ambiguous term.

There are 1000s of samples out there.

969872_10151524808521915_1294161450_n.jp

I don't think there is anything ambiguous about the term cinema.... It just means an image that will stand up in any cinema and the viewer wouldn't really notice a difference in IQ from film or Alexa/RED

Actually you need a larger and more unwieldy external box: an entire computer to offload to (or if you trust one of those offloader devices be my guest) every 15 minutes. You need somewhere to put the computer, keep it powered, you need to stop the entire shoot or have an assistant for the offloads. With an external recorder like the Ninja 2, you can record all day long, direct to ProRes 422 HQ, without ever changing drives or batteries, four channel audio pre-aligned, with scene and shot and take written directly to the filenames, and you get a peaking monitor thrown into the bargain, for $695 retail with commodity drives (even rotational laptop drives) and cheap Sony-type batteries the only additional expenses. No assistant needed, no interruptions to workflow during capture or post, no transcodes, batteries are even hot-swappable if you do run out.

And they do not smell if kept clean.

As for the perfect camera, Sony F55 + R5 (also an odor-free external recorder, with a handy clip mount direct to the chassis) looks to be quite acceptable if you can't spring for the Alexa atm.