Some simple advices for youtubers

Novim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nothing against YT. Exactly the opposite. OP post added his contribution for the subject matter. When the most fav button is the fast-forward and rewind button today, I guess this tells a bit how ad rem this discussion is actual connected and well-timed.

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

C'mon, your mind is one of a youngster, nothing to worry about : ) Many of us would love to arrive there in the same good shape : -)

Well I am not saying I am going to die tomorrow, but I sure got a lot of ways to accomplish it I never knew, well might have guessed, that can happen. My sheet of what is wrong with me at my Doctor is getting pretty long as of late LoL. Lot of stuff I can't even pronounce, and don't dare to even want to look it up on Wiki! ?

14 hours ago, dbp said:

Youtubers are an interesting lot.

There's alot to be said about presentation, editing, etc.

But for me, the biggest variable is the intangible camera presence someone has. There are some how just have that natural charisma that make them pleasant to listen to. Others are a chore to get through, no matter how they present their videos.

It's definitely a talent. I could never be a popular youtuber, that's for sure.

You're right, but I think there is something to be said for content too, which the OP indirectly acknowledges.

I believe that charisma, beauty, video production skills, and content are all valuable and can be traded off against each other.  There are people that have charisma alone and are successful, there are those with video production skills alone (cinematic B-roll!!!), and content too.  If you don't believe me about content, then start a channel that gives out the winning lottery numbers but isn't nicely edited or with charisma and you'll still rocket to the top.  You could encode them and make the videos private and people would hack your account to get the opportunity to try and decode them and you'd still win.  In a realistic sense, it pays to have all three.

YouTube is good because it fosters experimentation and immediate feedback - it is the Petri dish of video production......  and like Petri dishes, they contain traces of huge evolution and adaptation, but are mostly filled with smelly rotting awfulness.  

On 4/14/2019 at 2:28 AM, Novim said:

1. What makes you(tuber) think that I'm interesting to look at your face most of the time? If your video is about Something, make it to be about that Something, not about your narcissistic persona.

2. "Do not saw the air too much with your hand thus, but use all gently, for in the very torrent, tempest, and (as I may say) whirlwind of passion, you must acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness." Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act III, Scene 2, 1603 AD. - So, tie your hands behind your back until you get used to not sawing the air.

3. If you must have some kind of opening, make it short. And do not let me wait for 30-60-90 seconds for actual start, go for It as soon as possible.

4. Also, do not put loud soundtrack that drums or screams into my ears. I'm not interested in your "musical" taste, nor I came to watch you video for that. Be polite. (And try not to use loud soundtrack in background that interferes with your voice and words.) Be articulate.

5. Do not bother me by asking to like or subscibe to your video)s). If they are interesting to me, then I'll do it.

6. Rehearse or make a plan beforehand, practice, that will make you more "pro" than any other gimmick.

7. Try to be economic with time. Do not waste yours, nor mine. Be short, precise and (and at least try to be) intelligent. Do not repeat yourself.

8. Find someone who would be critical but fair about your videos, and show them to him or to her, then listen. Four eyes could see more than two. Especially if you are trying to be innovative.

9. Don't just give to me your precious opinions. Give me the reasons why you think so-and-so, and then I'd accept your opinions (or I won't).

10. Go to the good museums, read clever books, watch classic movies. Your personal culture always needs improving.

If they have an audience, those are the people they are speaking to, not you. So why should they change their formula to suit you?

In many of those videos you hate so much, the audience is tuning in to listen to the presenter, not to what he/she is saying. The entertainment is not the content as such, but the presenter themselves. A subtle difference, one you possibly don't get.

37 minutes ago, Mokara said:

If they have an audience, those are the people they are speaking to, not you. So why should they change their formula to suit you?

In many of those videos you hate so much, the audience is tuning in to listen to the presenter, not to what he/she is saying. The entertainment is not the content as such, but the presenter themselves. A subtle difference, one you possibly don't get.

I don't "hate so much", I don't hate them at all. You simply attributed it to me. And I didn't talk about entertainment - let them amuse themselves to death, no problem with me - but about useful videos on Something (contents like gear, software or similar reviews) which become more and more boring, sometimes even annoying, just because the author or presenter put himself, his hands, his "sound", high above his content. I specifically have in mind people who aspire to be or to become video authors. A cliche is that it is not enough to have a dicent gear, and a skill to use it, but also to be elementary considerate of others eyes, ears, time, and intellect. But yor are right, they are not speaking to me.