Some simple advices for youtubers

Novim

1. What makes you(tuber) think that I'm interesting to look at your face most of the time? If your video is about Something, make it to be about that Something, not about your narcissistic persona.

2. "Do not saw the air too much with your hand thus, but use all gently, for in the very torrent, tempest, and (as I may say) whirlwind of passion, you must acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness." Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act III, Scene 2, 1603 AD. - So, tie your hands behind your back until you get used to not sawing the air.

3. If you must have some kind of opening, make it short. And do not let me wait for 30-60-90 seconds for actual start, go for It as soon as possible.

4. Also, do not put loud soundtrack that drums or screams into my ears. I'm not interested in your "musical" taste, nor I came to watch you video for that. Be polite. (And try not to use loud soundtrack in background that interferes with your voice and words.) Be articulate.

5. Do not bother me by asking to like or subscibe to your video)s). If they are interesting to me, then I'll do it.

6. Rehearse or make a plan beforehand, practice, that will make you more "pro" than any other gimmick.

7. Try to be economic with time. Do not waste yours, nor mine. Be short, precise and (and at least try to be) intelligent. Do not repeat yourself.

8. Find someone who would be critical but fair about your videos, and show them to him or to her, then listen. Four eyes could see more than two. Especially if you are trying to be innovative.

9. Don't just give to me your precious opinions. Give me the reasons why you think so-and-so, and then I'd accept your opinions (or I won't).

10. Go to the good museums, read clever books, watch classic movies. Your personal culture always needs improving.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mojo43 said:

Hahahaha.... what’s funny is that a lot of these points could be directly applied to your post ?

I was talking about Youtube(rs). What of your "hahaha" could be "directly applied" to my post?

I agree with Novim. I cut so many short very quickly as they are either rambling and never getting to the point...if they even have one in the first place and as for the skateboards and one wheels or doing all your vids from your car seat like you are always going somewhere....

Youtubers are an interesting lot.

There's alot to be said about presentation, editing, etc.

But for me, the biggest variable is the intangible camera presence someone has. There are some how just have that natural charisma that make them pleasant to listen to. Others are a chore to get through, no matter how they present their videos.

It's definitely a talent. I could never be a popular youtuber, that's for sure.

There is no one formula for a successful YouTube channel. There are thousands of different kinds on there, and an amazing amount I can't stand to watch for 5 seconds have a shitpot of followers. Casey Neistat would not exist if he listened to the above Rules.  Watch what you like and be happy. Ignore what you think is silly, maybe not silly to some people that are 16 years old. Those rules sound like it was written by some old Turd like me. It is a whole new world. Old rules no longer apply, good or bad. YouTube attracts people from all age groups, and all kind of people, good or evil. I think the main draw to YouTube is there is really Not any rules other than the big Moral no no's.

I sort of like it the way it is. It doesn't take anyone 10 seconds into a video to see if you can connect with that person or you will Never look at another one they do. It is not Rocket Science to figure it out. But yeah, super loud music in the beginning REALLY pisses me off lol. But some people Must like it or their Channel would be belly up. The take away is the Rule is there IS no rules like the old saying says. Different strokes for Different folks. YouTube is Not going away.

I think it is amazing what you can learn on there, or get help to fix a problem you have.  Interesting stuff for sure. It is hands down the most entertaining site on the Planet.

@webrunner5 You are right, YouTube videos could be both charming and tormeting, extremely helpful and totally purposeless. No rules, a net anarchy, which is better than any authoritarian space. What pains me is when I sometimes see some very useful stuff made in rush, by someone who is really nice, like today (when I was reminded of Hamlet not sawing the air). Btw, a very good explanation of usefullness of the new Cut page in DaVinci Resolve 16beta1 (if only he wasn't so "super-excited", to keep his hands still and ecape the too bright window behind):

16 minutes ago, Novim said:

@webrunner5 You are right, YouTube videos could be both charming and tormeting, extremely helpful and totally purposeless. No rules, a net anarchy, which is better than any authoritarian space. What pains me is when I sometimes see some very useful stuff made in rush, by someone who is really nice, like today (when I was reminded of Hamlet not sawing the air). Btw, a very good explanation of usefullness of the new Cut page in DaVinci Resolve 16beta1 (if only he wasn't so "super-excited", to keep his hands still and ecape the too bright window behind):

Oh I agree a lot with your original post, but not many are going to go by you suggestions. Yeah if a lot of people just polished it a bit it would be a huge plus. But some people don't fair well on live TV, I would not I think, so a lot of dumb mistakes are presented. But you also have to figure most people doing it are pretty young, and as we did at the same age, we thought we knew everything, when in reality we also were dumb as hell lol. Innocent little Lambs. Sad to say at my age I think I am regressing! I will become a Dumb Black Sheep, or tits up. Probably both at the end. ?

2 hours ago, dbp said:

the biggest variable is the intangible camera presence someone has.

To add to that, numerous people are attracted to dick-head personalities.  Just a fact of humanity. 

Adults should know better (yet don't), but kids are particularly susceptible to aggressive earnestness, regardless if it's healthy earnestness.  Any type of self-assuredness is viewed as a positive.

Thus, many personalities that reach broad levels of success are not uplifting and positive, but degrading.  This is not a YT specific issue.  This is an issue with what it means to struggle to be a good person in general.

To point out this theory in practice, I'll not post, but mention this:  That YT Paul asshole kid had the asshole crackpot adult from InfoWars on his channel recently.  A perfect storm of brash stupidity that makes life on this planet slightly worse for happening. 

Now, a few special people can transcend this "be a dick for attention"  scenario and have charisma that's compelling yet compassionate.  It's much harder to do.  The sad reality is evil is alluring.

Just now, webrunner5 said:

Ergo, why Tyrants rise to the top.

Yeah, not sure why people are amazed when these cruel ridiculous people "Fail Up."  There's not a time or culture in history where that doesn't consistently happen.  Something about how humans are wired, man. 

We just can't look away from a car crash, you know what I mean?

Hmm, I would say never worry about what other people are doing or not doing.

Replace all the "you" references, and put "I" in there if you want to give better advice imho.  -> for example, I think doing x,y,z would make a video better.

And lastly, feel free to make a video with above advice instead of text.  It's harder than it looks :)

Personally I just itch to make something even if it's not perfect.  Got use these awesome tools for something.  If some folks enjoy the content all the better.

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

To add to that, numerous people are attracted to dick-head personalities.  Just a fact of humanity. 

Adults should know better (yet don't), but kids are particularly susceptible to aggressive earnestness, regardless if it's healthy earnestness.  Any type of self-assuredness is viewed as a positive.

Thus, many personalities that reach broad levels of success are not uplifting and positive, but degrading.  This is not a YT specific issue.  This is an issue with what it means to struggle to be a good person in general.

To point out this theory in practice, I'll not post, but mention this:  That YT Paul asshole kid had the asshole crackpot adult from InfoWars on his channel recently.  A perfect storm of brash stupidity that makes life on this planet slightly worse for happening. 

Now, a few special people can transcend this "be a dick for attention"  scenario and have charisma that's compelling yet compassionate.  It's much harder to do.  The sad reality is evil is alluring.

True. And you're absolutely right in that it's not exclusive to video. One of my other hobbies is the diet/fitness industry, and it's absolutely ripe for overconfident charlatans. It's especially sad to have people preying on others' deep rooted insecurities and body image issues. 

I haven't explored a ton of the video based youtubers, but YCImaging seems to be one of the exceptions. Knowledgeable, great camera presence. Just solid, valuable content that isn't based on insane hyperbole. 

13 hours ago, mojo43 said:

Hahahaha.... what’s funny is that a lot of these points could be directly applied to your post ?

One is visual and sound communication, the other one merely written media. Much different to begin with. That's it.

Glad he wrote it. Some youtubbers are killing the medium. Never noticed? YT has become the most boring virtual place to follow FB news feed. Ignore list aka blocking feature along search button to each one of them is our savior.

I don't even remember to ever downvoted one, also because I found them pretty disgusting when lack of arguments applies. Except now with this one here from yours to anyhow end in another harmless funny post after all, no doubt, but quite unfair to the pertinent post and topic published by the OP BTW

Just my two cents anyways : -)

27 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

One is visual and sound communication, the other one merely written media. Much different to begin with. That's it.

Glad he wrote it. Some youtubbers are killing the medium. Never noticed? YT has become the most boring virtual place to follow FB news feed. Search button is our savior.

I don't even remember to ever downvoted one, also because I found them pretty disgusting when lack of arguments applies. Except now with this one here from yours. Funny post, no doubt, but quite unfair to the pertinent post published by the OP BTW (Just my two cents anyways : -)

Quit acting your age. God I am probably older than you are and you are coming off acting like some old geezer in a rest home. Good or bad YouTube is what it is. It is a reflection of society as a whole in this time on earth. If you don't like what you see go to ones you like. These channels would not be popular if everyone hated them. Apparently tons of people Do like them. Seems the crazier they are the more popular. Our parents probably thought the end was near when we were young. Life will go on whether we are a grumpy ass or not.

Downvoted, what a silly ass Girly act. That option should not even be available on here. Get real. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I have the same impression on downvotes as hinted from my disclaimer up there, so I will probably not forget it when granted one from yours... LOL ; ) This laugh made my late night over here now : -)

In any case, for same order of thinking or ideology (I tend to put my vote on this latter one), I have nothing against freedom of expression, on the contrary, for some reason my disclaimer includes the useful choice of search button there. As much as freely express my opinion over here. Son, you're not the only one to have strong opinions : -D

EDIT -- I see now you've edited your post and didn't forget to add that last line there to follow my post... haha ; -)