Zeiss Ikon Anamorphot 22/1.5x

QuickHitRecord

http://vimeo.com/70264199

I had all but given up on ever finding the perfect 8mm anamorphic lens, but I recently got my hands on what I think is the most rare anamorphic lens that I have ever owned -- the Zeiss Ikon Anamorphot 22/1.5x. It is almost impossible to find any information on this lens. I could not find any pictures of the lens, nor any test footage. In fact, the only reason that I knew that it existed was a tip from anamorphic Godfather Kostas Petsas, who also has one. He compares his Ikon to the Iscomorphot 8/1.5x.

Like the Iscomorphot 8/1.5x, it's an 8mm "baby" lens that is fully rack-focusable. The helicoid is smooth and has a very manageable throw, so focusing is no problem at all as you will see in the test video above. The slightly wider diameter actually makes the lens easier to focus the baby Isco, and of course it is much more focus-friendly than the strenuous focus throw of the Iscorama.

gallery_18451_14_173351.jpg

It's a little bigger than the Iscomorphot 1.5x (front filter thread is about 43mm, and rear diameter is about 32mm) but still much smaller and lighter than the Iscomorphot 2x or the Iscorama. It's nice not to have to add in a support system to hold the weight of the additional lens. Coupled with a DSLR, a taking lens with a silver finish and a silver clamp from Redstan, this could be a great stealth anamorphic setup.

I think that perhaps the most substantial difference between the Ikon and the Iscomorphot is that the Ikon is usable when the taking lens is wide open (at least at f/1.8). Though it is not razor sharp like the Iscorama, I don't see a limitation here. 

The minimum focus distance is impressive. I've been able to focus as close as 22" wide open without any diopters.

I haven't really put it through the paces yet, but from what I've seen, the lens has some nice, understated character. It's a lot less smeary than some of the 8mm anamorphics that I have used. The flares are thinly stretched blue ovals, similar to my Moller 32/2x (but I think that I may like the Zeiss flares even more).

gallery_18451_14_69733.jpg

I have been able to use it with my FS100 with a 50mm lens, which is usually my go-to lens when I first get an anamorphic lens. I'll have to test it to see if I can get away with using a wider taking lens.

I am excited about this lens. It is the easiest, simplest anamorphic lens that I have ever used and the image is very pleasing. I think that this is a winner. If anyone else has one, I'd love to compare notes.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thank you for your test Nick.
I currently happen to have an Iscomorphot 8/1.5x and this inspires me to do a side by side comparison of the two lenses...
I suspect that only the lens coatings were made by Zeiss on the Ikon, and the lens itself was manufactured by Isco Gottingen using the well kept secret Isco focusing recipe.
Hence, I expect the lenses to perform similarly.
Both are great lenses for pocket CinemaScope.
K.

Nice lens QHR!

I've seen this before & always wondered...but i've now made myself a promise not to buy anymore Anamorphics for a while.

I'm assuming its dual focus?

Not that i care, as complaining about such a small thing like that can normally mean that you disregard excellent lenses.

I've seen this before & always wondered...but i've now made myself a promise not to buy anymore Anamorphics for a while.

I'm assuming its dual focus?

It's single focus!

I had made myself the same promise, but when this became available at this price, I had to go for it. Had you seen one of these on eBay before? I know that there was one listed a little over a year ago. I believe that it may be the same one that Kostas picked up (and then had polished and recoated).

Thank you for your test Nick.
I currently happen to have an Iscomorphot 8/1.5x and this inspires me to do a side by side comparison of the two lenses...
I suspect that only the lens coatings were made by Zeiss on the Ikon, and the lens itself was manufactured by Isco Gottingen using the well kept secret Isco focusing recipe.
Hence, I expect the lenses to perform similarly.
Both are great lenses for pocket CinemaScope.
K.

Great to see you here. I'd love to see a side-by-side test of these lenses.

It's single focus!

I had made myself the same promise, but when this became available at this price, I had to go for it. Had you seen one of these on eBay before? I know that there was one listed a little over a year ago. I believe that it may be the same one that Kostas picked up (and then had polished and recoated).

Yes, timewise, that sounds about right, but as you said there's no info on this lens & i'd just bought a 54.

Single focus too - bonus!

I suppose now everyone will be wondering how many are knocking about & i bet we'll see some over inflated prices popping up on ebay!

that was a good price these are very rare.

baby iscorama  only input from zeiss was the coatings.

suffers a little from smearing as the back element was very small.

stupid rare because the few that where made most would of been dumped in the 60s or separated from the weird zeiss camera it was made for.

the missing link this may have been made available slightly before the exakta iscorama which was the first iscorama

zeiiss where a joke in anamorphics in the past most made by moller this baby thing is made by  isco

• 2 months later...

To revive this old thread.
I did a small test yesterday. Tested the Iscomorphot 8/1.5x vs the Zeiss Ikon 22 1.5x vs the Bolex Moller 8/19/1.5x.

All 8mm anamorphots with a 1.5x anamorphic ratio.
It appears to me that the Zeiss and the Iscomorphot are very very similar in quality and both have a characteristic smearing at wide apertures (which is what I expected).

Interestingly, the Iscomorphot is not very good when the taking lens is focused at infinity, but gets somehow better when the taking lens is focused around the 5m mark. At least it gets almost as good as the Zeiss, and it focuses even closer than the Zeiss Ikon.

I guess you wouldn't be able to achieve infinity like this, but if you need to shoot in an interior space at wide apertures it should be ok like that.

That way, both anamorphots may be considered as useable at f=4 (f=2.8 hmmmmm...), but nowhere as near as the Bolex. The Bolex crashes them both from wide open. The image with the Bolex appears to be even sharper than with the taking lens alone... Imagewise, it is definitely the best available anamorphot in 1.5x, even if you have to pay 3k for it :P.

Of course the rack focus ability on the Zeiss and Iscomorphot are very handy and a unique recipe from Isco. And I must say that the smearing may be an artistic choice to achieve a mor "organic" look on tack sharp digital cameras...

I will try to post all this on YouTube when I get the time someday...

[font='lucida grande']
To revive this old thread.
I did a small test yesterday. Tested the Iscomorphot 8/1.5x vs the Zeiss Ikon 22 1.5x vs the Bolex Moller 8/19/1.5x.
[/font]
[font='lucida grande']
All 8mm anamorphots with a 1.5x anamorphic ratio.
It appears to me that the Zeiss and the Iscomorphot are very very similar in quality and both have a characteristic smearing at wide apertures (which is what I expected).
[/font]
[font='lucida grande']
Interestingly, the Iscomorphot is not very good when the taking lens is focused at infinity, but gets somehow better when the taking lens is focused around the 5m mark. At least it gets almost as good as the Zeiss, and it focuses even closer than the Zeiss Ikon.
[/font]
[font='lucida grande']
I guess you wouldn't be able to achieve infinity like this, but if you need to shoot in an interior space at wide apertures it should be ok like that.
[/font]
[font='lucida grande']
That way, both anamorphots may be considered as useable at f=4 (f=2.8 hmmmmm...), but nowhere as near as the Bolex. The Bolex crashes them both from wide open. The image with the Bolex appears to be even sharper than with the taking lens alone... Imagewise, it is definitely the best available anamorphot in 1.5x, even if you have to pay 3k for it :P.
[/font]
[font='lucida grande']
Of course the rack focus ability on the Zeiss and Iscomorphot are very handy and a unique recipe from Isco. And I must say that the smearing may be an artistic choice to achieve a mor "organic" look on tack sharp digital cameras...
[/font]
[font='lucida grande']
I will try to post all this on YouTube when I get the time someday...
[/font]

i would love to see some tests you do good tests : )
my baby zeiss is with bernie o at 16.9 in pieces as it is missing a part lost by a repair guy got to get it sorted as i think it is better than the iscomorphot.
moller puts them all in the shade.
nobody canna beata a moller nobody not even isco

QuickHit:

Super nice flares there.  I've got a Sankor 16D that flares in a similar way.

Can you do a test at an outdoor mall or something similar that shows foreground, midground, background with medium DOF and people walking in and out of the space as well as walking torwards and away from camera?  That's my favorite test for anamorphics for some reason.

eris

I really haven't had much of a chance to play with this lens, unfortunately. But if our Government remains closed next week, I may have a few days off and perhaps I will get around to it.

It really does seem to be the full package, at least for my purposes. I think that mine looks pretty great at f/2.8. In my opinion, it has more character than many of the more popular and sought-after anamorphics out there.

(And by answering this, I am losing my '666 posts' status that I have been hanging on to for a while. Rock and roll.)

Sorry for loosing your 666 post status but good for the forum you post again.

Interestring that you were searching the perfect 8mm anamorphic. Perfection is hard to find. For sure many of us are addicted to anamorphics. Searching, collecting, selling. It is not so easy to be happy with what you have. You own or have owned many anamorphics I think (Iscorama, Lomos...) Great that you found the full package now!  :)

I like the tiny Bolex Möller so much: Lightweight and very easy to use instead of double focussing. After one day of practice you can do some rack focussing as well.  :wub:

I like the tiny Bolex Möller so much: Lightweight and very easy to use instead of double focussing. After one day of practice you can do some rack focussing as well.  :wub:

don't say that i have been accused of being a no nothing racist for droning on about the baby moller.

and yet it is unique 1958 technology that is state of the art today.

but what do i nose A.

Rudolf, on 12 Oct 2013 - 6:59 PM, said:

Tony i am not doing less than accusing you of making me buy two möllers!

schhh get rid quick the moller is tired history the future is bright it is 1.33.

we sorry few lunatics have hit an iceberg.
gentlemen we are going down.
no band to play for us.
no buxum breasted irish girl for a last romantic dance.
just the ice winter cold of the deep sea drink.