Speedbooster effect on Anamorphics.

Paulio

Has anyone used the speedbooster with an anamorphic rig?

The m43 metabones speedbooster is due out later this year and i'm wondering if there are any "gotchas"

using it with older russian lenses (helios etc) and anamorphic adapters. I assume since it bumps up the width of the lens we can expect vignetting earlier....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes. It will be like using a camera with a larger sensor. As a theoretical example: if you'd be able to go as wide as 35mm on an anamorphic with 4/3 without vignetting - you will need to use around a 50mm lens to avoid vignetting with the speedbooster. 

I believe the M43 speedbooster is supposed to bring the sensor up to the equivalent of asp-c.

I know I'm kind of late to the party with on this, but it seems pretty ground breaking to be able to turn a 2.8 lens into a 1.8, you pay ALOT of money for that distinction in a lens. Not to mention bumping up your sensor size. I guess it does cost as much as a GH2 camera though.

Will the increased aperture range work with old manual lenses like helios etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I'm curious also about the aperture. Obviously many anamorphics are not sharp wide open, so having an extra stop will be redundant unless the point at which the adaptor becomes sharp is also shifted back a stop.

I will probably pick one up when they release an m42 version and do some tests.

Obviously many anamorphics are not sharp wide open, so having an extra stop will be redundant unless the point at which the adaptor becomes sharp is also shifted back a stop.

Not redundant. Say you would have to stop down your f/2.8 lens to f/5.6 to get sharp, on the speed booster you could stick with f/4 for the same results (in theory - it becomes f/2 so it's stopped down 2 stops at f/4).

Speed booster improves overall sharpness on the iscorama and zeiss planar 50mm f1.8 (at f1.8).  Bokeh is a lot more pronounced.  Edges suffer marginally on landscape shots, bit in most situations the edge softness only adds to the perceived shallow dof.

I have also tried quickly on a mates little cinevision 8mm 1.5x which is great at f2 on a helios 44 on aps-c.  but on speed booster it vignettes a lot.  but sharpness seemed unaffected.  dof was shallower, but since the little 8mm doesnt gain any light at apertures bigger than f5.6 the speed booster didnt add any more light - just shallow dof.

the requirement to use a longer lens than normal (to avoid vignette), as well as the shallower dof naturally pronounces the ovals making 1.5x ovals look more pleasingly like the more authentic cinematic look you get from 2x ovals.  

I suppose the best way to get an idea of the results will be to watch videos shot with a 5dmk2 or 5dmk3.  andrews recent raw 5dmk3 video where he used a iscorama shows very much how the full frame look can boost the anamorphic aesthetic.  however, as stated, in order to gain anything 'speed wise', you'll need to be using anamorphics that dont apply any light loss.  

i've seen the same vignetting issues (maybe marginally less) from the speed booster on aps-c when compared to what you'd expect from a full frame.  So if the widest you can go at the moment (on aps-c) is 50mm, you'll need to use an 85mm with a speed booster.  if the widest you are currently using is a 35mm, you'll need to switch to a 50mm with the speed booster.  in doing this, your angle of view will remain the same but your dof will be shallower and your exposure will be +1 stop at the same aperture setting as you are used to using at the moment,