iPhone Photography sort of on Sterioids.

webrunner5

Pretty interesting video about the newer iPhones, and Smartphones in general. They may actually be better, and in a lot of situations they are better than a high end camera. And not mentioned, video in them also applies a lot of the same mindset. Is the hassle worth it for what small gain at times you achieve over just pure convenience, and arguably a Whole lot more advanced tool to use on paper.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like it was shot on Iphone. 

I'd agree, content above all else, but better and more equiped cameras have their time and place. Choose the right tool for the job/budget. Also an IphoneX isn't exactly what I'd regard as cheap.

Nobody is Just going to go buy a iPhone for Photos. Hey it works as a phone also. I think you can even Text on one. ☺️ What I took from this more than anything is what I have said on here all along. Piss on good or even better equipment. Just get Damn good at Editing, Grading. Doesn't cost a freaking dime to do that, and your media, whether Photo or Video footage will look 5 times better than 99% of the people in the world even if they have a Arri or a Leica. It is that simple. That guy in the video is a Wiz at Photoshop. He can, and probably does make money out the ass on his Photos, and he is just using something he has in his pocket all the time. Basically a free camera and lens setup, easy to carry.

I don't think the latest and greatest Smartphones are that much money to be honest. I buy a brand new model every year. In that time frame I have paid off half of it so it cost me say 40 to 50 bucks a month, granted forever, to have the latest and greatest iPhone. New phones now are making Amazing gains every new model. New Smartphones make camera tech look like Stone Age shit.

And I don't buy the  "but better and more equiped cameras have their time and place" statement either. On my way to Florida I had my Nikon D2Xs and y 80-400mm, 150-500mm, 18-105mm lens and my iPhone XS. The Only time I used the Nikon, which I did, was when I was staying someplace for a reasonable amount of time. I was not going to drag it out of the bag, maybe switch lenses, hell maybe even set it up on a tripod unless I was out for some damn serious shooting. I probably took 100 shots with it on the way down. I took probably 500 shots with the iPhone. Some are wonky, not level, my finger in the way of the lens, but guess what, unless I print the ones from the Nikon or walk around with a laptop it was a Hell of a lot easier to show people the pictures I took on my iPhone on the phone. I could even pass it around. And I took some of the same shots side by side and other than having the ability to zoom out like hell with a telephoto lens I preferred the iPhone shots more to be honest. Sure for Birding I am not going to be able to use the iPhone, but that would be 5% of what I ever shoot.  I think MY definition of what is a better shot is even having the F ing shot at all. I sure as hell am not walking around with a D2Xs and a Sigma 150-500mm lens all day. Not counting I would not even be Allowed to shoot a lot of stuff in public or private using it, especially at my age, the Dirty old Man syndrome. So it is what it is. Any shot is better than No shot.

Of all the pictures I took, this one, which was a total mistake was hands down most peoples favorite. And it was shot on my iPhone by accident picking it up to Try to shoot a Beach scene. Everyone really liked the detail and colors. The fact that it probably represented what the inside of my truck really looked like in real life. Is it a good picture, hell no in reality, but lots of people paused at it, and commented more on it than any other I took. Go figure.

IMG_0130 (3).JPG

The first one is the wrong picture lol. I can't delete it. It is like it but not blurry. I guess a lot of people liked my Hula Dancer! This picture came in second. Taken on my iPhone.

IMG_0121 (3).JPG

25 minutes ago, no_connection said:

Why can't someone put a good phone camera into a gopro like form factor. Or even a phone with bigger battery a screen and useful amount of storage.

Well I have the 512 GB version of my iPhone. I have no storage problems. And Apple sells a pretty nice battery case  for iPhones that is not really that big.

23 minutes ago, no_connection said:

Sure but that costs way to much. I just want the camera part of it ?

Hell I am retired on a fixed income and I don't find something I Need to carry all the time that expensive. Main reason I have a iPhone is Facetime with my kids, grandchildren and to use my Apple Watch. Sure the watch is expensive but I don't have to worry about being killed trying to pull my phone out driving. And I am old school, used to having a watch on my wrist all the time.

How much money do most people on here have tied up in cameras and lenses they hardly ever use on a daily basis. I got tied up in having a bunch of lenses I never used just to say I had one. Crazy shit in the long run. Most, including me would be lucky to use that stuff once a week. Hardly a bargain for what a person has tied up in it. Does it have better output, ehh on some stuff I am not sure anymore. I find setting up all the crap you have to do to use a great camera is more of a pain in the ass than it is worth it most of the time. And like I have said, at my age I just can't even use Any of that stuff around kids in public. So what the hell good is it? Maybe overseas you can do that but you sure as hell in America at any age, going to be shooting kids and get away with it without some parent getting in your face. With a Phone you can get by with it in public a heck of a lot more than not.

To me, the latest phones are now as good or even a little better than DSLRs from around 2006 or so but only in their natural range.   Being poor now, I am reduced to using older stuff for my main cameras though still with some wonderful lenses.    I never use a phone for photos or video (geez, being antisocial, I hardly ever use my phone).   I keep getting cheap cameras from an op shop I work at, mostly little rubbish point and shoots.   SOME of them are OK to use now (some get donated because they don't work but sometimes that is because the battery is in the wrong way or they have a corrupt card only).  I have now got two that I like, an underwater Panasonic and a super zoom Canon.   I am on a trip to my family now and have only taken the Canon superzoom and it is the first P&S I have really been happy with.  A phone MIGHT be better than these two in a limited range but it will be a while before one I van afford will go underwater of be able to do 960mm equivalent.   The canon is not very big either (SX410IS) Only 720p but is OK for my needs.

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

50 minutes ago, noone said:

To me, the latest phones are now as good or even a little better than DSLRs from around 2006 or so but only in their natural range.   Being poor now, I am reduced to using older stuff for my main cameras though still with some wonderful lenses.    I never use a phone for photos or video (geez, being antisocial, I hardly ever use my phone).   I keep getting cheap cameras from an op shop I work at, mostly little rubbish point and shoots.   SOME of them are OK to use now (some get donated because they don't work but sometimes that is because the battery is in the wrong way or they have a corrupt card only).  I have now got two that I like, an underwater Panasonic and a super zoom Canon.   I am on a trip to my family now and have only taken the Canon superzoom and it is the first P&S I have really been happy with.  A phone MIGHT be better than these two in a limited range but it will be a while before one I van afford will go underwater of be able to do 960mm equivalent.   The canon is not very big either (SX410IS) Only 720p but is OK for my needs.

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

Looks like you are set for life now. Good job.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Looks likeOKou are set for life now. Good  job.

Almost. Not the greatest at low light (ok At the short end), Terrible battery life (around 200 shots) but great IS for such a long zoom. Limited control but enough. Very nice for the Reall cheap price I got it for.