Canon 50D Magic Lantern raw review

Andrew Reid

The moire and aliasing on the 50D is nowhere near as bad as it is on standard Canon DSLR video modes.

Hmm, I dare to disagree although I do agree that the raw video quality of the 50D is in a completely different league than the h264 from standard Canon DSLRs. In the standard video modes, the codec simply is so mushy that it partly smoothes out the moiré. With the sharp pixels from raw video, you see the color artifacts overly clear. That means, moire and aliasing is effectively more pronounced.

Here's an image comparison between 50D raw video and 550D standard video:

50d-sample_raw_video_frame.png

550d-sample_video_frame.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

For me the H.264 moire looks more distracting.

The pattern is so fine on the raw footage it blends into the brick work. You can do more in post and in the debayer to reduce it too.

On the H.264 it is a rainbow! Broad stripes across the building at the back. It would be even more noticeable if you hadn't turned the saturation and contrast so far down BTW.

• Administrators

50d-moire-h264.jpg

Looking again some of the false colour on the raw shot are actually ACR debayer artefacts rather than moire, especially at the edges of the window frames.

The moire is there too of course, but for me the H.264 makes it look worse. Like a zebra.

BTW - here's some 60D moire (bottom shot). The top shot shows that a camera with moire has far more issues with wide angle shots than close up shots of people.

60d-moire.jpg

What about eng b4 lens with 1:1 crop mode? What resolution in wide angle we can expect?

Good luck trying to adapt a B4 lens to the 50D. The only way you 'might' do it is to remove the mirror completely and even then I doubt it will work.

Good luck trying to adapt a B4 lens to the 50D. The only way you 'might' do it is to remove the mirror completely and even then I doubt it will work.

I do not think so, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance , there says that the distance is 48.00 mm, so we can attach it freely. Here is http://www.ebay.com/itm/B4-2-3-mount-ENG-FUJINON-Canon-EOS-EF-7D-60D-T4i-Blackmagic-adapter-/251175669546

So it can work on APS-C cameras (certainly not full frame) but these adapters work by mounting the lens forward of the body on a kind of extension tube with glass to compensate (hmmm not good) and you can only use lenses with 2x extender mode engaged or it will vignette.

Pointless and costly if you ask me. Plus, how would you power the lens?

http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=110&category_id=2