$60 Pentax that's actually a $800 Zeiss with optics by designer of Stanley Kubrick's NASA glass

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

its rare - no one in their right mind will sell theirs!!

But there are very good alternatavies like the Sigma 30mm f1.4  ( newer aspheric elements , faster and dare I say sharper too ) which I personally think is a very cinematic looking lens and cheap

if the Sigma was nicknamed 'Hollywood ' everone would buy one.......

it was designed as an APSC lens so its entire making was for approx super 35mm size sensors - hence its cinematic looking feel to it.  this lens is no use on your full frame 5D - but great on aspc and micro 4/3

I use mine with a Lens Turbo speedbooster on my G6 - its getting on for f1.2 - now thats fast and sharp

it is far from 60$ right?

it is far from 60$ right?

you are not going to get  Pentax 28mm f2 for $60 , thats just never going to happen as its a very rare desired lens . its more like a $500+ lens in the real world now.

my alternatives I've listed are alot cheaper

I also forgot to add the Vivitar 28mm f2 which sells on ebay for around $160 and is very good too.

its only related in that it is made by Pentax to one of their lens formulas - it is not made to the Zeiss formula

I always found the Pentax 28mm f2.8 a bit softer than the Canon FD 28mm f2.8 -

I prefer the Canon version you used on the video you just posted

Thank you very much for your advices! :)

p.s. (a little "OT"): I just bought 2 old M42 lenses, a Carl Zeiss Jena (from DDR) 50 f/1.8 and a Pentacon 29 f/2.8, but I'm still waiting for the adapter (the package is arrived in 2 days from USA, but you know how it works in Italy... postmen are so sloooow, so I have to wait...).
Do you think they could be as good (or better) as my beloved FD lenses? 

the Zeiss 50mm f1.8 Pancolar is a great lens classic Zeiss and almost as sharp as the 50mm f1.7 Planar - there is not much in it

The Pentacon is a older Meyer-Optik Görlitz lens design carried over into the Pentacon range

its regarded as not quite as good as the 28mm version of this lens by Pentacon (which is a Zeiss Jena DDR Design)

this version is the Zeiss DDR design

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentacon-28mm-f2-8-Praktica-bayonet-PB-mount-lens-c-w-caps-pouch-/161398035922?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item25941295d2

the 29mm is abit of an odd ball

all the above are inferior to the Canon FD 28mm f2,8 - which beats them all in my book and is very good and cheap on ebay ....

all the above are inferior to the Canon FD 28mm f2,8 - which beats them all in my book and is very good and cheap on ebay ....

Thank you very much! I'll try to catch a 28 Zeiss DDR :)

Do you think also my FD 50 f/1.4 is better then the Zeiss Jena 50 Pancolar? (I'm still waitin' for the adapter!!!)

• 7 years later...

Oh beautiful thread! Tasty treat, yummy read!

The Hollywood Pentax now rather goes for 600 to 800 EUR, some for even more, a very few ones for around 500, if lucky. More about that some other time.:)

I think Andrews article put me on to this lens, because how else would I have been on the track for that lens back then! So Besides spectacular optical qualities, we know from reading and some of us from testing, that the Hollywoods field curvature gives it some of its additional 3D pop compared to other 28mm lenses.

Still, there is an elephant in the room, from what I read many years ago. It is the 28mm Pentax M or A F2.0. I had found a site back then, which compared optical goodness, mainly resolution in favor of the Pentax M/A.

The Pentax forum states the opposite. Unfortunately I cannot find that testchart anymore. Maybe someone can put some light into this.

@TomTheDP gives me an idea. We all could do a 28mm at F2.8 challenge. Btw, I will reread this tasty thread now, with some scrambled eggs with grilled tomatoes on German Brötchen and a big fat coffee with milk.

Glimpsing at our friend @andy lee mentioning the beautiful and cheap Canon FD 28mm 2.8 gives me chills. One of my all time favorite and for sure dearest lenses. Filming with it wide open in S35 format is a thrill to me. It has almost as much resolution as the Panny 20mm pancake and can still be bought for 20 to 30EUR if lucky.

So for a great image it does not take a Pentax Hollywood, but many other 28mm lenses can do a great job. The tiny Canon FD delivered most spectacular images to me. So how about that 28mm F2.8 challenge?

By the way, I couldnt resist and grabbed a Hollywood for 450EUR with postage and fee. A lot of money for me but I am so happy, after seven or so years of drooling. Not only that, but I got the Pentax M F2 as well a couple months ago.

Still, the challenge 28 at 2.8. Let´s do it, cool cats! 🙂