$60 Pentax that's actually a $800 Zeiss with optics by designer of Stanley Kubrick's NASA glass

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
DSC07044b

The Contax Zeiss Distagon 'Hollywood' 28mm F2.0 is a classic fast wide for full frame and is incredible on Super 35mm as well. Wide open it's one of the sharpest F2.0 wide angle lenses available and it has very little distortion.

The Contax Zeiss version fetches $800 on eBay but there's a $60 wolf in sheep's clothing called the Pentax PK 28mm F2.0 which has a fascinating story behind it.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10730/60-pentax-thats-actually-a-800-zeiss-with-optics-by-designer-of-stanley-kubricks-nasa-glass]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm definitely addicted to lenses... and this lens has had me fascinated for a while. I really don't think you're going to get one for 60 bucks though. This lens is a legend to Pentax users (they still exist). The last one I saw go on eBay went for nearly as much as a Hollywood.

The 'M' series ones go for less, but they are a completely different formula with no floating element. Like all the M series lenses, it was optimised for compactness and handling (and probably cheapness) rather than outright performance.

There's a K28/2 in a camera store in Berlin that I stop in and visit now and again. I put it on my 5D body once and it made me feel all gooey. Its got a €600 price tag so not such a secret what a good lens it is.

love eoshd because I never know what i'd find in the newest article, but it's always interesting and informative. personally I don't use 28mm very much, but it sounds like a superb lens.

I do have a pentax m 50mm 1.4 that has a lot of character, as well as a butter smooth focus ring. some of the old lenses soften up the gh2 / gh3 image a bit, which is nice, as lumix lenses tend to be too sharp and clinical

Anyone got any opinions on mixing glass? Doesn't it make sense to shoot with a set of something like Nikkor AI-S glass so that you get a matching aesthetic/color temperature between all your lenses?

Anyone got any videos I can watch that had several different types of lenses used? Thanks.

• Administrators

Can you think of any anamorphic friendly Pentax in 85mm for my 5d3?

There's a rare Pentax K mount 85mm F1.4 but it's pricey.

There's the older M42 Asahi Super-Takumar 85mm F1.9 but I have never tried it with anamorphic.

As it turns out I am looking for a compact 85mm prime for my anamorphic lenses too now I am using full frame so much. I can highly recommend the Jupiter 12 85mm F2.0 in M42 mount. I am considering also the Samyang 85mm F1.4 and the Super-Takumar.

I use a M42 Takumar SMC 85mm 1.8 with a Kowa for Bell & Howell on a 5D MarkII and they're working fine together. It flares less than the older non coated version 85mm 1.9 of course but enough for my taste.

The Takumar 85mm 1.8 is a very sought-after version, a bit expensive and rare but the 1.9 version is cheaper and easier to find.

• Administrators

if you can go down to 80mm the Carl Zeiss 80mm f2.8 Biometar is a stunning very very sharp lens !

as used by Director Paul T Anderson

and its a great lens with anamorphics

That's an interesting one. Very nice bokeh from the samples online. Yet to use a medium format lens with my anamorphics. What film did PTA use it on?

That's an interesting one. Very nice bokeh from the samples online. Yet to use a medium format lens with my anamorphics. What film did PTA use it on?

Medium format lenses are superb ! The IQ is just that bit better than 35mm lenses and Zeiss make stunning glass great colours and contract from Schott Glass they use.

My copy is a 1963 made lens ...so its 50 year old lens - and it is one of the sharpest lenses I have owned!!

and its single coated so flares nicely for anamorphics!

just buy a Pentacon 6 adaptor to use it on your Canon or Panasonic

PTA used if for close up head shots on THE MASTER ....he shot 65mm