Organic looking Panasonic S1 footage

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, ade towell said:

the AF actually looks good enough for my occasional needs but some people seem to completely rely on it. The colour, IBIS and dynamic range take this camera way above the rest for me, would be nice to see footage with some old glass, anyone come across any?

to use old glasses you need adapter, not so sure there are many out there at this time

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Stop showing that stuff lol. Eye Candy for sure. Show us a good B&W photo using it. I would think that might be it's sweat spot for output. A "somewhat" cheaper Leica maybe?

I am sort of torn from buying it, a S1 or an Canon 1DC. If I save for a few months might make one of them happen. Kind of worried about lens cost on the Panasonic though.

1 hour ago, Jordan Drake said:

Gordon Laing has done a really fantastic video-specific look at the S1/S1R. Worth a watch:

There's a lot to like about the Panasonic S1. Still it's a hard sell. I feel like we are on the threshold of some major announcements from Canon and Sony, with new sensors and bodies likely coming before years end.

Yeah but they will be their top end stuff. Close to 4000 bucks.  They will probably be worth it, but out of my range, and I would imagine a lot of others also. I would have to win the Lotto to buy even the S1R. I would look into a used Sony FS7 for that kind of money.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, pryde said:

I'm curious if anyone has tried or seen footage of someone using the 6k/4k photo mode in 4:3 on the S1 for some full frame anamorphic. I played around with the photo mode this morning but I don't have any anamorphic glass or adapters.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, Jordan Drake said:

The S1/S1R 6K Photo is actually 3:2 instead of 4:3 like the GH5/G9. Choose your anamorphic glass accordingly.

You can choose 4:3 in 4K or 6K photo mode. Here's a short vid using 4k Photo mode with 4:3 aspect ratio, Mamiya 105mm and Möller 32/2x Anamorphot. There's no colour correction just very slight exposure adjustments on a few different picture profiles.  It would be nice to get 25fps (or 24) atm it's 30 or 60p in 4K and 30 in 6K. It would also be nice to have HLG for this mode. Also, I wonder what bit rate and colour space the file records at in photo mode, anyone know?

https://youtu.be/jbZ1AFM2kA8

6 hours ago, liamlumiere said:

You can choose 4:3 in 4K or 6K photo mode. Here's a short vid using 4k Photo mode with 4:3 aspect ratio, Mamiya 105mm and Möller 32/2x Anamorphot. There's no colour correction just very slight exposure adjustments on a few different picture profiles.  It would be nice to get 25fps (or 24) atm it's 30 or 60p in 4K and 30 in 6K. It would also be nice to have HLG for this mode. Also, I wonder what bit rate and colour space the file records at in photo mode, anyone know?

https://youtu.be/jbZ1AFM2kA8

Quick question on 6k mode; I've read that it's still cropped (as 4k60 is) but how can it be 6k if it's using a 4k portion of the sensor?

1 hour ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

Quick question on 6k mode; I've read that it's still cropped (as 4k60 is) but how can it be 6k if it's using a 4k portion of the sensor?

The S1 User Manual states that the 6K PHOTO crops are as follows...

3:2 6K Photo = 5184 x 3456

4:3 6K Photo = 4992 x 3744

...the 4K 60P is an approximately 1.5x crop at 3840 x 2160.

FWIW an actual 1.5x crop of the 6000 x 4000 sensor would equal 4000 x 2666.67 but I've not seen where Panasonic ever states that they use this aspect ratio. Interestingly, that 1.5x crop would equal 10.67MP in APS-C size, coincidentally very close to the 10.2MP count of the GH5S albeit, the latter, in MFT size and with smaller 4.51 micron pixels.

More interesting, to me, was that the (larger) 5.93 micron pixels in the S1 yield a 22.77mm-wide physical frame when shooting 3840 x 2160 4K/60P which falls neatly in between the 24.89 mm-wide size of Super 35 and the 21.95 mm-wide size of Academy 35mm, basically giving one a "Super35, low-light, GH5S" built/hidden inside the S1.

:)

1 hour ago, Jak234 said:

can you tell me what hand strap this is?

thanks!

Its the

CIESTA DSLR SLR Camera Leather Hand Grip Strap (Brown) w/ Dovetail Plate

has an Arca swiss mounting plate

I can recommend it

I think you can find it on ebay 

CIESTA D-SLR RF Mirrorless Camera Genuine Leather Hand Grip Strap (GIANO BROWN) with Dovetail Plate 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SFHKAQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GPC5CbWF491NR

• Administrators

Impressive indeed. 200Mbit 10bit!

There is a very small crop in the 6K mode. Let's call it 5K actually, because that's what it is. I still don't know where Panasonic get their 6K from!? With K you only measure horizontally.

The 30p is a shame... I wish it were 25p at least, to avoid flickering in PAL countries and get it closer to the cinema look of 24p.

I think it's worth waiting for the V-LOG update, which should bring a similarly high bitrate to the 4K mode... As well as 10bit 4:2:2 not just 4:2:0.

Hopefully they will also add an anamorphic mode... if the Cinema Lumix camera doesn't get there first, that is!