Organic looking Panasonic S1 footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't do video, but I took this camera out at night shooting at ISO 3200 and it has nicest 4K I've seen and the IBIS is really impressive.

I'm traveling more this year and this camera definitely make me want to shoot more video than my 5D IV ever did.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:55 AM, ade towell said:

Camera seems to tick all of my boxes and I really like this fellas style. It does look huge in his tiny hands but it sounds like they haven't compromised on ergonomics, build quality or the IBIS and from all accounts it is a great camera to hold and use. Really need to get my hands on one to try, local photo stores don't hold it in stock here, have to order it which is a bit of a pain and isn't going to help them sell any

Don't personally see what the problem is with its size, with full frame lenses you want a camera  with a bit of heft - the Sony A7 is way too small, lenses seem to dangle off it (and the IBIS is rubbish) - to me the Canon 5d is a great ergonomic camera for taking photos with (not so much for video cause of the lack of EVF - I like to look through the viewfinder), and no one complains about its weight - the Panasonic S1 and 24-105 lens is lighter than Canon 5d with 24-105

I did one paid photo shoot, one afternoon and took it to Disneyland all day and it did not feel heavy at all.

I was nervous because of so much people on the internet complain about the weight but after trying at Panasonic event and using it for extended period of time, it feel so good and balance with a heavy lenses like Canon 24-70 2.8 II & Sigma 105 1.4 Art with hand strap and neck strap.

I don't have an issue with Canon 5D IV weight either. You should give it a try before listening to fanboys on the internet. I really like the ergonomic, features, and some thoughtful Panasonic has. The dynamic range & ISO on this thing is amazing compared to my Canon 5D IV/EOS R.

2 hours ago, omega1978 said:

i have used the individual af setting with + 3 , + 2 .the tracking is not perfect, but i hope with next firmware they improve 

Looks solid! The latest firmware on the GH5 improved the tracking tremendously and this looks solid as well. Maybe not Canon good,  but definitely usable. Saw it lose focus on the last hot there at the end for a second. 

I'm curious if anyone has tried or seen footage of someone using the 6k/4k photo mode in 4:3 on the S1 for some full frame anamorphic. I played around with the photo mode this morning but I don't have any anamorphic glass or adapters.

2 hours ago, Jordan Drake said:

The S1/S1R 6K Photo is actually 3:2 instead of 4:3 like the GH5/G9. Choose your anamorphic glass accordingly.

Hmm. I just changed the aspect ratio in the photo menu to 4:3 and it's working for me, unless i'm really confused, which is possible. Check it out. File is downloadable on vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/335510081/bb0fdb4099

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 4.12.47 PM.png

5 hours ago, ade towell said:

I think it has the best image of all the mirrorless cameras I've ever seen, can't wait to see what full v-log brings.

AF for video is its only real weakness but for me that's not a big deal - it is more important that it has great IBIS, handheld with my Canon fd lenses will be lovely

Totally. AF would be nice.. but id use this as a handheld camera with my vintage glass. Just pure cinematic goodness 

I picked one up, only using it with manual Voigtlander glass, and having owned the a7rIII and the Nikon Z6, I really agree that it’s got the beat looking video of the bunch. The cine v profile with contrast dialed down is simply beautiful, especially skin tones ?

Really pissed though that they still don’t let you punch in to focus while filming and that the wave forms from the GH-series are gone.

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Totally. AF would be nice.. but id use this as a handheld camera with my vintage glass. Just pure cinematic goodness 

the guy says he really liked the af, always used manual but only used af during his trip to scotland.

sounds weired to me from a guy that says he always uses manual focus. he has a gh5 so he is supposed to be familiar with panasonic af so why never use the gh5 af and love the s1 af ?

anyway he really loves the camera and says it is almost too good for his skills. he was complaining about 10bit long gop and ends up saying i just have to get better at grading since the camera's image is really good

just complains a bit about rolling shutter and loved the stab

well it is tempting. bmpcc4k, pana s1 competition is getting tough

4 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

the AF actually looks good enough for my occasional needs but some people seem to completely rely on it. The colour, IBIS and dynamic range take this camera way above the rest for me, would be nice to see footage with some old glass, anyone come across any?