Organic looking Panasonic S1 footage

Andrew Reid

That 4K60p is looking good. CS seems on par with EVA1. I like what I'm seeing. But hearing dude say "missed focus" 20 times in that wedding vid puts a big cringe on my face. What good is having superb "organic" imagery only to miss the shot? That said, stick some manual/cine glass on this cam and you maybe got yourself a mini EVA1..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/16/2019 at 6:59 PM, currensheldon said:

I have used a variety of mirrorless cameras, starting with Sony A7s and A7rII and then the GH5 and most recently the Canon EOS R. The only camera that Ive held on to long-term is the GH5, so I was very excited when I heard Panasonic was releasing a full-frame mirrorless camera. Now that it has arrived, it is truly the most professional, robust, and beautiful mirrorless camera Ive used. I bought and tested out the Canon EOS R, but found it frustrating ergonomically and with hindered video specs (big crops, no stabilization, etc), it required a lot of compromises. It took beautiful images, but for video (which is what I mostly do), the GH5 outperformed it in every way.

Next to the EOS R (and definitely all the Sonys), the Panasonic S1 feels like a true professional camera. It's a bit heavier than the other mirrorless cameras, but since I mainly use Sigmas 24-70, 18-35, or 50-100mm, once you have the lenses on there, it's not a huge difference. Its actually more comfortable because the grip is so nicely designed.

After the firmware update the tracking Eye-AF on the EOS R works very well now, not much to complain about (they've also improved the banding, although I've never noticed it).

I can't see this camera beating the R for stills(apart from the IBIS), just does not have the lenses (either new or old) or the AF system (in AF-C) to compete with it, it is much stronger for video (and for tougher conditions or manual focusing). And the price is much higher here, 2000$ seems like a more reasonable deal. After re-selling the kit lens(which is also very good just like the Panasonic), the EOS R cost me only 1450$ grey market, and the EF adapter is cheap, too. Can be considered as a "weak" camera body to start with, but as a system it is still looking strong.

I expected more "true native" (not re-modeled) lenses from the L-mount alliance. Canon (or Nikon) as a single company will have more RF (Z) glass as a single company within a year, even with EF-mount not taken into consideration.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I would think the size and weight of it would be more of a plus than a negative for hand held work. You have to have some decent bulk, and something to really hold on to to get stabilized footage walking.

It depends on what kind of handheld work. Carrying that around for a 3-4 hour sporting event, no thanks! Gimme my GH5! For shorter events or narrative work, I think it'd be great. 

58 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

It depends on what kind of handheld work. Carrying that around for a 3-4 hour sporting event, no thanks! Gimme my GH5! For shorter events or narrative work, I think it'd be great. 

I done work using gimbal for 3-4hr straight which is more than 2kg load.  Not as long as my friend who steadicam Red One for whole day though he got support vest. 

6 hours ago, Django said:

That 4K60p is looking good. CS seems on par with EVA1. I like what I'm seeing. But hearing dude say "missed focus" 20 times in that wedding vid puts a big cringe on my face. What good is having superb "organic" imagery only to miss the shot? That said, stick some manual/cine glass on this cam and you maybe got yourself a mini EVA1..

I got my fair share of miss focus and focus hunting with C200 and A7iii, they are not totally bullet proof! I guess it more about knowing the limit of the system and work smart around it.

Btw there is also APSC lens if u want lighter weight and shoot 4k60p most, I can use Leica 23mm from my Leica T if I want lighter and better lowlight than f4 (only apsc but for 4k60p it fits)

E96DFDA8-CDBE-42DA-BAFE-7E00525F98F4.jpeg

CF6033B7-D4E5-4B95-8959-D02D16E501AC.jpeg

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Btw there is also APSC lens if u want lighter weight and shoot 4k60p most, I can use Leica 23mm from my Leica T if I want lighter and better lowlight than f4 (only apsc but for 4k60p it fits)

Is the T able to control that Panasonic 24-105mm by any chance?

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

I got my fair share of miss focus and focus hunting with C200 and A7iii, they are not totally bullet proof! I guess it more about knowing the limit of the system and work smart around it.

Cmon now,  continuous AF for video is clearly not the cameras strong point and isn't close to being in Canon league or even Sony I'm afraid.. 

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

I done work using gimbal for 3-4hr straight which is more than 2kg load.  Not as long as my friend who steadicam Red One for whole day though he got support vest. 

There will always be heavier cam rigs to compare with but fact does remain S1 is by far the heaviest FF MILC.. it's even a few grams heavier than a D850!

With the grip and extra batteries we're probably talking 1DX2/D5 territory. It's a valid factor to take under consideration imo. Lotta people go mirrorless to gain on weight.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Is the T able to control that Panasonic 24-105mm by any chance?

Yes, image stabiliser works too!

CA210219-D606-48CC-9B2F-FAB185B1570C.jpeg

014E0A50-2342-4D8E-A7BB-7C49FD8F0945.jpeg

1 hour ago, Django said:

Cmon now,  continuous AF for video is clearly not the cameras strong point and isn't close to being in Canon league or even Sony I'm afraid.. 

I use them a lot as I work full time in video production, that speaking from my experience since I have huge sample size not just shooting once in a blue moon.

1 hour ago, Django said:

There will always be heavier cam rigs to compare with but fact does remain S1 is by far the heaviest FF MILC.. it's even a few grams heavier than a D850!

With the grip and extra batteries we're probably talking 1DX2/D5 territory. It's a valid factor to take under consideration imo. Lotta people go mirrorless to gain on weight.

Obvious S1 is not targeted to you, there are many tools out there to suit your needs, I just buy whatever fits my need.

Compare to c200 it is much lighter, I’ve done c200 handleheld for half day, so S1 weight is totally fine for me.

2F027F2B-1B4F-4FE8-9295-5BB3EAE99077.jpeg

EEFB3FFA-50C1-41DE-B547-DFDBCAA25F4E.jpeg

5B68A35E-1319-427D-8A82-C86F9994C291.jpeg

12 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I use them a lot as I work full time in video production, that speaking from my experience since I have huge sample size not just shooting once in a blue moon.

So you are seriously claiming S1 continuous AF is on par with Canon/Sony?

Obvious S1 is not targeted to you, there are many tools out there to suit your needs, I just buy whatever fits my need

No need to feel so defensive. I own various cams of various size/weights myself (mirrorless, DSLR, cinema). I use the right tool for the right job.

S1 is on the heavy side though, it is a fact and worth mentioning imo.

8 minutes ago, Django said:

So you are seriously claiming S1 continuous AF is on par with Canon/Sony?

I didn’t say that, I only say Canon and Sony can get focus hunt/lost focus as well 

8 minutes ago, Django said:

No need to feel so defensive. I own various cams of various size/weights myself (mirrorless, DSLR, cinema). I use the right tool for the right job.

S1 is on the heavy side though, it is a fact and worth mentioning imo.

Not being defensive just sick of people thinking mirrorless have to be small and fragile, for pro work I want them to be tough and able to stand abuse for field work. I am looking at it as pure workhorse and nothing else. I use R/Leica T for casual photography and G1xiii for travel, though R is also used as bcam for c200.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yes, image stabiliser works too!

Well thats great news.

Weird as well considering they had to do firmware updates for the SL and the CL (and said they have to do one for the TL2) but great news none the less!

Makes me wonder whether the T just might be accidentally compatible with the MC-21 as well ;)

7 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I didn’t say that, I only say Canon and Sony can get focus hunt/lost focus as well 

Right.. kinda like you don't wanna say the S1 is heavy because your friend can carry a Red One all day.

Anyways enjoy your new kit! :) 

23 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well thats great news.

Weird as well considering they had to do firmware updates for the SL and the CL (and said they have to do one for the TL2) but great news none the less!

Makes me wonder whether the T just might be accidentally compatible with the MC-21 as well ;)

On dpreview it is confirmed T/CL doesn’t work from early Japanese user

20 minutes ago, Django said:

Right.. kinda like you don't wanna say the S1 is heavy because your friend can carry a Red One all day.

Anyways enjoy your new kit! :) 

Haha thanks! Yeah my friend is much stronger than me ?

Anyway that a7iii has gone to happy new owner, I do enjoy it while I own it but just the eco-system I have atm is better with Canon and Panasonic.

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I mean, that's cool, but I have no desire to run around a 18 foot by 18 foot pro wrestling ring for 4 hours with a heavy camera and lens when the GH5 exists. ?

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Not being defensive just sick of people thinking mirrorless have to be small and fragile, for pro work I want them to be tough and able to stand abuse for field work. I am looking at it as pure workhorse and nothing else. I use R/Leica T for casual photography and G1xiii for travel, though R is also used as bcam for c200.

I don't want them to be fragile, I just don't want a heavy camera to carry around all day. :)

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I mean, that's cool, but I have no desire to run around a 18 foot by 18 foot pro wrestling ring for 4 hours with a heavy camera and lens when the GH5 exists. ?

I don't want them to be fragile, I just don't want a heavy camera to carry around all day. :)

That is true, the size and weight do put off some people who want small n lighter load.  But I guess for the heat and mostly IBIS it does need space to be effective.

1 hour ago, Jordan Drake said:

Beat me to it, thanks!

No prob! 

Usually I'm not a big fan of video reviews and much more prefer the written word, but the videos you do with Chris are an exception - I watch them all, from soup to nuts and never regret it. 

Anyway, back to the point: the footage looks great. Pleasing colors, nice contrast and good looking motion. 

It's intriguing to see that Panasonic didn't ignore S1's video capabilites even though they initially stated that it's mainly a stills camera.