Organic looking Panasonic S1 footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Django said:

This whole “alliance” thing sounds shakier than a EU council about the UK.. rather confusing to say the least.

That said S1 sensor really seems top-notch. Low light clean as a bell. Is it a new towerjazz design? How is the RS?

I agree, no major faults with the image. Great low light. But bad AF. If usable AF is not an issue and you are buying into a new system it could be serviceable. But then it might make sense to just buy manual lenses.

Not wild about the old school lcd on the top, but that’s being nit-picky. It’s a bit annoying that Panasonic didn’t just add in the flip screen and good AF. On many fronts it comes close. 

7 hours ago, Django said:

That said S1 sensor really seems top-notch. Low light clean as a bell. Is it a new towerjazz design? How is the RS?

DXO published their S1 score and they suggest it has the same sensor as A7III and Z6.

14 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

By the law of averages it had to happen at some point. 

Hahaha. You jokes remind me of David Thorpe. 

Bear in mind though that at that point the L mount Panasonic lenses were also not working on the Leica cameras, which was even more ridiculous, but this was addressed later with firmware update for the SL and CL but not as yet the TL2/TL/T so it still could all change.

What I found surprisingly was the curious reason given by Sigma. It seemed to make absolutely no sense.

However, if you read that other thread, we were discussing something interesting on the official L mount alliance website (which is run by Leica) that basically alluded to that it is Panasonic that have the relationship with Sigma and so Leica appear to be involved with Sigma by association. 

I will read that thread. Sigma is Panasonic's secret lens designer and manufacturer. And I am guessing, that, therefore all Leica branded Panasonic lenses have Sigma collaborating with Leica, by default.

Bear in mind though that it might well be Sigma themselves holding back these zoom lenses as they will have a new L mount version of the SD Quattro in the not too distant future so may be holding them back until then.

The Quattro cameras weren't really doing too well. They probably lose money on that lineup, whereas their lenses seem to sell pretty well. So they may concentrate on the lens lineup, since thay would bring in the money. 

The story for Panasonic users is brighter in that as from Friday they will be able to use the Sigma fast zooms (albeit in EF or SA mount) though it remains to be seen how good the AF is.

Hahaha. Sigma may just increase the price of the EF/SA to-L mount converter and share a % with Leica. Hahaha. Or disable or weaken the autpgovus performance substantially. IF it releases with a converter at all, this year.

Whichever way this eventually shakes out, the presumption/expectation that this alliance would offer seamless and unrestricted interoperability between the three brands has not thus far materialised. 

Ah, all well that ends well. Hopefully. 

We may only be a couple of firmware updates away from that changing but its a bit of a mess at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

And a few agreements, whether oral or written. 

And more than anything else, users are dying to get the unrestricted VLog which pushes this camera head and shoulder above the competition for video. 

• Super Members
4 hours ago, sanveer said:

The Quattro cameras weren't really doing too well. They probably lose money on that lineup, whereas their lenses seem to sell pretty well. So they may concentrate on the lens lineup, since thay would bring in the money.

Sigma is very much still a family business that marches to their own beat so the continuance with the cameras is not really based on the cameras turning a profit in isolation.

They are committed to Foveon because they believe it to be the best way to go not only technically but also because as they own the technology they aren't reliant on another sensor manufacturer. They also claim that making cameras helps their lens development by giving them better insight into the whole end to end process.

Just as significantly though, Kazuto Yamaki, their CEO, also does it in large part as a continuing respectful tribute to his late father who started the company and who always dreamed of Sigma making its own cameras.

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/exclusive-interview-80154

It's been a bit rough on my end finding some early-adopter video test samples (Read: ISO sequences, rolling shutter, etc.). I'm guessing that most folks, like myself, who are interested in the video performance of the S-Series cameras are waiting until July for the full FW package before making a purchase decision? I'm not sure if the following sequence adds anything to the "organic-looking" dialog here but it does shed some light on the rolling shutter performance for a slow pan in the opening shot and for whip-pans at around the 0:28 mark...

[4K] Panasonic Lumix S1 + 24-105mm (HLG HEVC 4K TEST SHOT) - YouTube:

1 hour ago, Jimmy G said:

It's been a bit rough on my end finding some early-adopter video test samples (Read: ISO sequences, rolling shutter, etc.). I'm guessing that most folks, like myself, who are interested in the video performance of the S-Series cameras are waiting until July for the full FW package before making a purchase decision? I'm not sure if the following sequence adds anything to the "organic-looking" dialog here but it does shed some light on the rolling shutter performance for a slow pan in the opening shot and for whip-pans at around the 0:28 mark...

[4K] Panasonic Lumix S1 + 24-105mm (HLG HEVC 4K TEST SHOT) - YouTube:

Highlights seem to be blown out in every shot. Panasonic should pay this guy to Prevent this video from being seen by anyone. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

I'm not sure if the following sequence adds anything to the "organic-looking" dialog here 

Not for me... actually, reading one after another this one and topic about new Sharp 8k camera, given examples have very similar look to me.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:45 PM, Fairkid said:

Does anyone know if you can record video in all internally recorded resolutions and frame rates to SD card?

yes, i have used sandisk 95mb/s and up to 4k50p 150 mb all resolution work

Some shots i have made in rush( i was with my son and you must allways look him and not the cam)

standard profil with light correction in post. 1 shot i slowed down from 25p so is stuttering ;)

This camera ticks almost every box for me, great ergos, IBIS, 4k60p, 10-bit, weather sealing, etc. except possibly the most crucial one - AF - but it does give me hope the a7s3 or the next Nikon will get it all right. While its a step up from the a73/a7r3 in some respects, its not enough to push me out of Sony-land. Nikon came close with the Zed 6/7, but that single card thing and its battery life are not something I'm going back to, plus the Zed's AF is still way behind Sony's. The a73/a7r3 has served me well since I shoot tons of stills for paid work and I've moved from a mostly handheld video shooter to an everyday gimbal user. I don't think I'll ever own a Panasonic until they admit DFD-defeat and add PDAF, its just so much more efficient for run-and-gun shooters. The next gen Sony sensors Andriodlad keep posting spec sheets show the new Sony sensors will leapfrog everything currently available in a big way, combine that with a new processor and an updated version of the a9/a6400 AF and you'll have the ultimate hybrid.

But I'm happy to see this and the S1r - and the Nikons for that matter doing raw externally - this should push Sony to finally go 10-bit internal and up the bitrate. 

Chris

16 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

This camera ticks almost every box for me, great ergos, IBIS, 4k60p, 10-bit, weather sealing, etc. except possibly the most crucial one - AF - but it does give me hope the a7s3 or the next Nikon will get it all right. While its a step up from the a73/a7r3 in some respects, its not enough to push me out of Sony-land. Nikon came close with the Zed 6/7, but that single card thing and its battery life are not something I'm going back to, plus the Zed's AF is still way behind Sony's. The a73/a7r3 has served me well since I shoot tons of stills for paid work and I've moved from a mostly handheld video shooter to an everyday gimbal user. I don't think I'll ever own a Panasonic until they admit DFD-defeat and add PDAF, its just so much more efficient for run-and-gun shooters. The next gen Sony sensors Andriodlad keep posting spec sheets show the new Sony sensors will leapfrog everything currently available in a big way, combine that with a new processor and an updated version of the a9/a6400 AF and you'll have the ultimate hybrid.

But I'm happy to see this and the S1r - and the Nikons for that matter doing raw externally - this should push Sony to finally go 10-bit internal and up the bitrate. 

Chris

There excuse was that its a stills camera, even though that doesn't even completely convince me.

They should have no excuse with the GH line. I think the GH6 will have to be something really incredible. (6k 24 fps and 4k up to 120fps) with IBIS, and hopefully a new auto focus system, though I somehow doubt it. Maybe they'll put in a non handicapped Vlog as well.

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They should have no excuse with the GH line. I think the GH6 will have to be something really incredible. (6k 24 fps and 4k up to 120fps) with IBIS, and hopefully a new auto focus system, though I somehow doubt it. Maybe they'll put in a non handicapped Vlog as well.

Just VLog (No L Rubbish) with almost 13 stops, even better colour science, usable lowlight upto ISO12800, slightly larger screen (just 1/2-2/3 inch larger) and better photography capabilities (14Bit RAW?). The GH5 does almost everything else pretty well.

And release that f1.7 zoom, at Sigma Prices, since neither Panasonic nor Leica are probably designing nor making it. 

5 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Chris

I have the Z6 and the image quality and "look" is very close to the S1 in just about every way. I find the battery life to be great on the Z6. Are you going by the false reviews for it's battery life? As far as the single card slot it depends what and why you feel the way about it. Do you mean two XQD card slots? No way for me if that's the case. The Sony FS7 only uses one XQD card slot and no one says anything about that. I also want to say I love what the S1 brings to the game. 

The Sony sensors you mention will not make it into the A7 line up or A9 for that matter because Sony won't put better sensors in these line ups before the upgrade the Cine line up. And no way Sony makes everything under the A7SIII absolute with it's release. People are throwing out these claims of how great the A7SII will be and they're not thing about Sony's product line. The A7SIII will be at the same level as the Z6 and S1 and if you think about that quality with Sony's AF and glass line up it will be perfect. 

The GH5 and GH5s should have taught everyone that specs don't make skin tone or video quality great. Let Sony, Nikon and Panasonic perfect the full sensor 4K 10-12 bit raw first and then we can wish for 4K60p with no crop.