Organic looking Panasonic S1 footage

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Shot externally with an Atomos in HLG 10bit mode (higher bitrate than internal)

Looks pretty good to me, and a hint of what the internal codec upgrade will look like.

I also feel for a promo film it's above average, a very simple story but effective. A bit sentimental of course, and not perfect attention to detail in some shots, but it works.

I hope one day when I hear a piece of music it will remind me of the Panasonic S1, when I was young enough to shoot stuff and not too old and crippled to use a camera ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I hope one day when I hear a piece of music it will remind me of the Panasonic S1, when I was young enough to shoot stuff and not too old and crippled to use a camera ;)

Hmm lol. Your turn is coming. First thing is you Have to live that long. Not as easy as it seems. Eh maybe by then they will have a cure for just about everything and they will just have to start beating people to death.

I don't know if it comes from good lighting, good lens or good directing, but the video from S1 looks very good, with very nice colors, good shadows and highlights.

To me it looks like one of the less "videoish" videos coming from a photo camera, be it a dslr or a mirrorless.

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Shot externally with an Atomos in HLG 10bit mode (higher bitrate than internal)

Looks pretty good to me, and a hint of what the internal codec upgrade will look like.

I also feel for a promo film it's above average, a very simple story but effective. A bit sentimental of course, and not perfect attention to detail in some shots, but it works.

It’s an ok short, maybe a bit too “vanilla” for me but does the job. 

I did feel some of the skin tones were blown out and could have been handled better. 

The S1 looks clinically great - looking forward to seeing what Vlog brings (and whether I’ll add it to my current EVA1 and GH5 combo). 

Actually the S1 has superb noise reduction algorithms, and probably great sensor design (and calibration). They should probably have added very light grain, to the short film and made it more Filmic. 

I wonder how much they will change for the VLog, and what what the bitrate increase will be post VLog. The S1 already costs more and weights more than other Mirrorless full frame cameras in its class. 

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Actually the S1 has superb noise reduction algorithms, and probably great sensor design (and calibration). They should probably have added very light grain, to the short film and made it more Filmic. 

I wonder how much they will change for the VLog, and what what the bitrate increase will be post VLog. The S1 already costs more and weights more than other Mirrorless full frame cameras in its class. 

The S1 (GH5 and GH5s also) uses temporal NR which usually does a way better job than the spatial noise reduction used in the Pocket 4K shooting Braw and ProRes. The only disadvantage might be ghosting in certain situations - but even on the GH5 it's not really a problem. The biggest advantage is that there's way less texture loss and the image is cleaner.

The autofocus will be decent, not great. Someone on some forum shared a screenshot (from Imaging Resource or Dpreview.com?) between the S1 and the Canon, and the S1 didn't seem to that that strange noise that PDAF (and imperfect processing to cover the focus pixels) seemed to exhibit.

I would like to see a face off between Panasonic and the other Mirrorless Full Frame camera on:

1. Maximim usable ISO in photo and video.

2. Quality of photos zoomed in 200-400%

3. Dynamic range comparison (in both Photo and Video) 

4. How the video holds up in post (with and without VLog, when it comes out in June?). 

5. Weather and dust resistance. 

6. Photo and video stabilization, and many stops of stabilisation in photos and how stable for video the stabilisation actually is (the Sonys seem pretty bad for walking). 

7. Maybe a colour and quality comparison between the various JPEG (and RAW) photos.

8. Size and handling comparison.

9. Comparison of lens lineup including quality and prices for comparable lenses. 

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

They could have used older lenses to make it less clinically sharp, but apart from that I thought the image looked very cinematic.

I think this camera is more set for event/corporate work then actual fiction work. Yeah def, but its kinda a hassle to change your lens set every time you buy a new body. I always end up buying a new lens set with a new body m43/S35/FF, which is kind of a hassle. As I like sharp lenses on a 5D III, but I dont like sharp lenses on a blackmagic camera.