NAB 2019 predictions and major talking points - BMPCC 4K Pro anyone?!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its the AF bit that goes awry but if that's not a factor then yes.

I don't really get why Sigma, who know both ends of the puzzle electronically, don't do a version of their MC11/21 AF adapters from Nikon to E or MFT.

EDIT>>>

I'd forgot about the Commlite ENF E1 adapter.

Has anyone got one of these?

I am not familiar with their products at all. Are they any good?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I am not familiar with their products at all. Are they any good?

I haven't got any of them so can't really help but looking at a few videos for that particular product it does seem to have improved a lot over time with firmware updates.

£348 at Amazon so a bit steep for me.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven't got any of them so can't really help but looking at a few videos for that particular product it does seem to have improved a lot over time with firmware updates.

£348 at Amazon so a bit steep for me.

yes, indeed, continuing the discussion about adapters and mounts (which has spread to a dozen topics in this forum!), E mount seems the most flexible to me at the moment, having the most native lenses, the turret, and things like that

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/eos-snye-p-fusion-ndthrtl

can't stress enough how important is ND in my workflow, and how expensive Metabones are (both XL and the normal cost 820euros here, insane expensive)!

Just hope the new specialized Metabones for P4K has ND built-in and do not cost more than the Pocket itself!

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

yes, indeed, continuing the discussion about adapters and mounts (which has spread to a dozen topics in this forum!), E mount seems the most flexible to me at the moment, having the most native lenses, the turret, and things like that

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/eos-snye-p-fusion-ndthrtl

can't stress enough how important is ND in my workflow, and how expensive Metabones are (both XL and the normal cost 820euros here, insane expensive)!

Just hope the new specialized Metabones for P4K has ND built-in and do not cost more than the Pocket itself!

At the body end, yes the E mount is the one to beat especially with the TechArt Pro adapter giving AF to MF lenses.

TechArt's upcoming adapter to go from E mount to Z mount will be pretty huge for the Z6 as it means the camera will have really good AF from F mount via its own adapter and then from EF through Sigma's MC11 via the additional E mount adapter.

That Fotodiox lens throttle is pretty good but doesn't have a clear option so will always be 2 stops at minimum, though that might be much of an issue outdoors in your part of the world !

I still think the most logical approach for flexibility is a lens mounted electronic ND rather than having it in the mount adapter as it means you are not having to buy multiple adapters for different combinations, particularly when it comes to speed boosters where it may not be possible to also incorporate the ND.

The one I have made actually works quite well with a smaller sensor camera like the Pocket4K. 

48 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I still think the most logical approach for flexibility is a lens mounted electronic ND rather than having it in the mount adapter as it means you are not having to buy multiple adapters for different combinations, particularly when it comes to speed boosters where it may not be possible to also incorporate the ND.

The one I have made actually works quite well with a smaller sensor camera like the Pocket4K. 

Good point about the Fotodiox, in my agonizing quest for an ND solution I didn't noticed that.

Sorry if that is mentioned elsewhere, but I missed that one, how exactly that works?!! Does it have to be ON the lens, or on a rail?

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Sorry if that is mentioned elsewhere, but I missed that one, how exactly that works?!! Does it have to be ON the lens, or on a rail?

It started off here

But I've started to look at it again recently as a standalone (its controlled be a fader here for example)

DSC02817.jpg.ed724471b0931a87744ed1407df669e3.thumb.jpg.a692c593196b652188206a8909fcb962.jpg

The idea being that it will be in a square filter holder type system like the Cokin (rather than the cardboard and insulation tape seen in it current incarnation !) with the electronics package in the side.

main_4.jpg.ea0e8841647f61344d2b5d4e5c4a5ae2.jpg

I have found a pretty small microcontroller and screen option that makes it viable to be in a compact standalone form factor but it still has Bluetooth LE/wifi to be remoted from one of my other 849 different controller prototypes that I'm currently also working on ;)

Being able to control it from one of my camera controllers offers up the option for interesting functionality such as automatic ND adjustment tracking so you can maintain consistent exposure when changing aperture/shutter/ISO.

1 hour ago, TrueIndigo said:

I am trying to connect to the multiturret.com and can't.

If this has a normal price, can put on a speedbooster (they say it will), has an ND solution (they say it will have a "filter" one) and be m43 it can be an incredible indie hit.

Very sensible m43 (p4k, Z, GH5/s, JVC, Sharp e.t.c) owners can not afford even the cheap semi-cine ones, and can put 3 S35 Samyangs there and have excellent results for a "normal" price.

Higher end  professionals won't be interested because have the money

a) for an assistant

b) great - very expensive - cine zooms

Because I am of a certain age, in my youth I had a 16mm Bolex which featured a turret containing three Switar primes. You pulled the hinged chrome central stick to one side to use as a leaver and: click-click-click -- you immediately had a different lens in place. I don't miss the dark and dingy view through the prism block, though.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Jesus you make 1080p sound dirty lol. Who Really needs 4k as of now? Are you doing shit for Netflix?

Apples to oranges. What 1080p? P4K? ; )

In a 2019 compact camera for almost one grand doesn't make sense to not include it. Without mention, it is specs-wise, not quality-wise, such mention. Last November, I bought a GX80 practically brand new without visible signs of wear for 150 euros. From then on, 4x Canon M units for less than that. It doesn't make sense to go 4x-6x the price for 4x resolution less for video. We are not half-dozen years ago. 4K is the standard for any home display to buy nowadays. You even struggle to find anything only 1080p if any... : -D

24 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Apples to oranges. What 1080p? P4K? ; )

In a 2019 compact camera for almost one grand doesn't make sense to not include it. Without mention, it is specs-wise, not quality-wise, such mention. Last November, I bought a GX80 practically brand new without visible signs of wear for 150 euros. From then on, 4x Canon M units for less than that. It doesn't make sense to go 4x-6x the price for 4x resolution less for video. We are not half-dozen years ago. 4K is the standard for any home display to buy nowadays. You even struggle to find anything only 1080p if any... : -D

You are not going to make @Mattias Burling happy saying that lol.

We've arrived to a certain point where the logic behind the bigger screen the higher resolution is pretty irrelevant when latitude/DR, higher ISOs performance and last but not least, to mainly add gamut, color depth and competent bit rate are the only things a serious shooter can focus on what's really important to a better outcome.

For this triviality resolution-wise, 4K has somehow contributed with.

Consumer world is a whole different market anyway... ; )

Horses for courses. This is what we're talking about. Not else.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 11:30 PM, Emanuel said:

I bought a GX80 practically brand new without visible signs of wear for 150 euros. From then on, 4x Canon M units for less than that. It doesn't make sense to go 4x-6x the price for 4x resolution less for video. We are not half-dozen years ago. 4K is the standard for any home display to buy nowadays. You even struggle to find anything only 1080p if any... : -D

what a great price !!!

I'm looking for a GX80, but here in Paris, nothing under 350€

where did you found yours?

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, Juank said:

I'm looking for a GX80, but here in Paris, nothing under 350€

Its nowhere near as cheap as @Emanuel got his for, but MPB have one for £209

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-compact-system-cameras/used-panasonic-compact-system-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx80/sku-821421/