NAB 2019 predictions and major talking points - BMPCC 4K Pro anyone?!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I think the guy at Atomos called RED and/or BMD nazis - while also saying he’s open to trying to build Braw into Atomos recorders IF people want it. 

This was a strange interview. I lightly know the backstory here but it’s was unprofessional.

I was under the impression that BRAW needed in camera hardware as it was doing something special in camera before outputting it?

I also did some research and found out RED has a broad patent claim on compressed raw, WTF.

That would be like issuing a patent to Budweiser for fermentation.

For the major manufacturers of the most popular cameras (Canon, Panasonic, Sony), this has been a very quiet NAB. Really nothing of note except a variation on a cinema lens lineup (Canon Sumire). Bummer. I guess the rumored Canon C200 10-bit update and EOS R raw update was truly a typo...

Surprised Panasonic didn't announce more information about the 10-25mm f1.7 MFT lens. It's been 6-months since it was announced and I'd love to get my hands on that lens. Hopefully some more information soon. Same with pricing and official release date of S1 V-Log/10-bit update (they should really bump that up to May/June).

Perhaps CineGear will bring some more announcements.

Atomos and Black Magic have had a party though. 

I haven't seen anyone talk about the Acsoon CineEye HDMI transmitter yet. It looks like a good, very cheap way to get wireless video. For $219, you get a single device that wirelessly sends HD video directly to your phone. Currently, the only way I know of to do this on the same budget is with consumer wireless HDMI transmitters, which means two devices that need to be rigged and supplied power, and an external monitor at the receiving end (also requiring power!). With this, it's a single device with a builtin battery that can send video to a director, producer, or any 4 people in the area who have phones or tablets.

I really think that sending video over Wifi should be a standard feature in all decent cameras these days, although Z Cam is the only one doing it.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

I haven't seen anyone talk about the Acsoon CineEye HDMI transmitter yet. It looks like a good, very cheap way to get wireless video. For $219, you get a single device that wirelessly sends HD video directly to your phone. Currently, the only way I know of to do this on the same budget is with consumer wireless HDMI transmitters, which means two devices that need to be rigged and supplied power, and an external monitor at the receiving end (also requiring power!). With this, it's a single device with a builtin battery that can send video to a director, producer, or any 4 people in the area who have phones or tablets.

I really think that sending video over Wifi should be a standard feature in all decent cameras these days, although Z Cam is the only one doing it.

I have got my eye on that.

There is this one which I have that does the same thing and is a bit cheaper but the latency is the issue.

I see that 60 ms is quoted for the CineEye, which is a very respectable result if they can make that happen.

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

There is this one which I have that does the same thing and is a bit cheaper but the latency is the issue.

Ah yes! I totally forgot about that, but now I remember reading it before. Hmm, I actually might really look into that URayTech one now that I have some time. Ideally I'd like to integrate the video stream into a custom app, and I have a feeling the AccSoon has some closed source pieces since it seems to do intelligent switching and stuff, whereas the URayTech one actually mentions having an open SDK.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, KnightsFan said:

Ah yes! I totally forgot about that, but now I remember reading it before. Hmm, I actually might really look into that URayTech one now that I have some time. Ideally I'd like to integrate the video stream into a custom app, and I have a feeling the AccSoon has some closed source pieces since it seems to do intelligent switching and stuff, whereas the URayTech one actually mentions having an open SDK.

The Uray one is very easy to integrate as you just need to use a streaming component as it does all the heavy lifting for you with serving the streams in common formats.

I haven't actually asked them about the SDK but I think I might as I've got a use for it if there is anything worthwhile in there regarding reducing latency.

I think the CineEye might be worth a punt though to sniff what they are up to with their protocol to get it down to those latencies. I suspect its the same way as Panasonic/Sony do it from their cameras so will be adoptable to be used in a different app.

2 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Surprised Panasonic didn't announce more information about the 10-25mm f1.7 MFT lens.

Sigma is probably working overtime to make it. Most likely Panasonic promised some imaginary lens, and then ran to Sigma to make good on its association. It's possible that the final lens will have different design elements. 

17 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I think the guy at Atomos called RED and/or BMD nazis - while also saying he’s open to trying to build Braw into Atomos recorders IF people want it. 

..hard to follow interview as dude appeared more nervous than usual (not exactly a good sign) but does he confirm at around 3:40 that 20 cameras across various companies will support ProRes raw by next year...?!

14 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I love this sort of stuff.

This is kind of brilliant! Having 3 primes there cuts the cost significantly, instead of a good cine/broadcast zoom!

Having a wide 14-16mm, an 28-35mm and an 85mm there should be enough for most uses, and could possibly undercut a similar zoom for maybe 10-15.000€ or even more!

Wish it was speedboosted for the P4K..

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Wish it was speedboosted for the P4K..

There is 1.25mm more distance to play with when you are going from EF to E versus EF to MFT.

I've no idea how much they have going on internally (though I can have a decent guess) but it could be possible.

In the meantime, if you have a camera that can be easily adapted to M mount like Sony E or Leica/Panasonic L and have some Leica screw mount lenses then you can already enjoy some turret fun if you can pick up a Leica ORLOF.

Its somewhat rare so a bit on the pricey side though...

18 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

There is 1.25mm more distance to play with when you are going from EF to E versus EF to MFT.

I've no idea how much they have going on internally (though I can have a decent guess) but it could be possible.

In the meantime, if you have a camera that can be easily adapted to M mount like Sony E or Leica/Panasonic L and have some Leica screw mount lenses then you can already enjoy some turret fun if you can pick up a Leica ORLOF.

Its somewhat rare so a bit on the pricey side though...

I am trying to determine what camera/system would be best for me, going on. I recently decided to go with the P4K and I see what the future brings next, in terms of the new mirrorless systems that announced almost every month!

I have a specific opinion about Sony products (always something is lacking, bad to terrible ergonomics and menu systems, color science a bit off e.t.c) but I have to admit that right now they have the most complete ecosystem for hybrid and video shooters.

I was dreaming something like an a7000/a7siii/fs5iii combo, but as none of those are available, I will go P4K, and wait for my hybrid system. NX1/NX500 with their lens3s still hold their own (and I have 4 of them!).

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am trying to determine what camera/system would be best for me, going on. I recently decided to go with the P4K and I see what the future brings next, in terms of the new mirrorless systems that announced almost every month!

I have a specific opinion about Sony products (always something is lacking, bad to terrible ergonomics and menu systems, color science a bit off e.t.c) but I have to admit that right now they have the most complete ecosystem for hybrid and video shooters.

I was dreaming something like an a7000/a7siii/fs5iii combo, but as none of those are available, I will go P4K, and wait for my hybrid system. NX1/NX500 with their lens3s still hold their own (and I have 4 of them!).

I think the only golden insurance rule is to make sure you only buy EF lenses as they can fit on everything !

19 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

This was a strange interview. I lightly know the backstory here but it’s was unprofessional.

I was under the impression that BRAW needed in camera hardware as it was doing something special in camera before outputting it?

I also did some research and found out RED has a broad patent claim on compressed raw, WTF.

That would be like issuing a patent to Budweiser for fermentation.

Yep, I was using compress raw on my Nikon camera before RD one was out. If it is oly for video, then there is a bunch of companies that have come out with their version of compressed raw. I think the Ninja V is the perfect companion to my Z6 for normal or Raw shooting, but as a PC and Davinci resolve user, Prores Raw is a no go for me.

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Or Nikon, which actually adapt to EF.

Its the AF bit that goes awry but if that's not a factor then yes.

I don't really get why Sigma, who know both ends of the puzzle electronically, don't do a version of their MC11/21 AF adapters from Nikon to E or MFT.

EDIT>>>

I'd forgot about the Commlite ENF E1 adapter.

Has anyone got one of these?