NAB 2019 predictions and major talking points - BMPCC 4K Pro anyone?!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"– 15 stops of dynamic range from new, cleaner S35 sensor"

What?.. The 4.6K sensor already does this pr spec. And cleaner?.. No. Its the same sensor. Its just clocked faster and with faster internal hardware. Its not a new sensor. The old sensor has always been able to do this. Thats why the Ursa (big one) was advertised with 120fps 4K all those years ago.

"a Black Magic BM Raw recorder would be great as well"....
Cannot be done. Blackmagic RAW (or .braw) is partly debayered in camera and they need to profile the sensor, so there needs to be knowledge about the camera.. You cant just record a raw signal in braw.

31 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

On the Sharp camera you mean ?

Surprisingly enough it uses SDXC UHS-I U3 cards and does 30mins on a 64gig card so the running costs are quite low on the capture side.

Its dealing with the transcode that will be the bugbear though Sharp are apparently going to release a proxy workflow.

So, its no larger than 90MB/s (720 Mb/s) H.265 for the bitrate. Well, it would be less than 90 in the real world.

Given the demand/supply issues with BMPC4k, seems unlikely an update or pro version would happen so soon.

I am definitely in the camp that the large but non-articulating screen is a hinderance. BM seems to have a bit of a blind spot (pun intended) with screens..tending to favor size over flexibility/sensibility. (Remember their cam with the wind-sail flip out?)That fixed angle might help low angle shots, but not high or side viewing. Grant Petty yapping about vlogging use with that along no continuous AF rubs it in. I thought they had come around on the screen issue after releasing the Ursa Mini pros

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

So, its no larger than 90MB/s (720 Mb/s) H.265 for the bitrate. Well, it would be less than 90 in the real world.

I just downloaded a clip from the Newsshooter site and it plays at about 1 frame a week on my battered old MacBook Air but you can have a look yourself here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20a45vswezo0ded/AAC4Y2g8mMkJQ4Liek46o4Voa?dl=0

37 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/08/we-take-sharps-upcoming-8k-micro-four-thirds-camera-for-a-spin/

It has an XLRmini and 5.5" moveable screen. Same Canon batteries, but more estimated time of use.

The design is a bit milder to the Pocket also.

13 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

So Sony announced some stuff at their press conference. Did Panasonic not announce anything at all?

I didn't particularly followed Panasonic's presentation (is it even on?) but I read somewhere about an 8K studio camera that will put even more cameramen to unemployment (different angles and zoom from 1 camera, auto-follow e.t.c)!

It seems like companies do not need the main events to present their products anymore. That is the case with motor companies also. Ford presented their new SUVs on their own event in Amsterdam while there was a whole motor show happening a few kilometers away (in Paris) a few weeks ago.

Too many announcements in one event is not good marketing anymore, especially now that they do not need traditional press.

Sony's new HDC-5500 camera has a 3-CMOS design with global shutter. Considering how good current cameras are with sensitivity and dynamic range, I'd love to see rolling shutter reduced/eliminated in the next generation of cameras. There have been a number of global shutter cameras announced in the past year, and I'm glad to see that technology becoming more common.

20 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Predictions/Hopes for Blackmagic 16:

Better stabilization options.
Prores support in Windows
Dolby Atmos support.
More options in the export menu for customization.

And #1: Ability to use external monitors without their hardware cards.

I'd be quite excited by an update to their stabilisation engine.

I shoot hand-held almost exclusively, and the combination of the GH5 IBIS and Resolve stabilisation does a great job already, but I suspect that the stabilisation engine has far more potential than the current interface allows.

I'd especially like the ability to control zoom/pan/tilt/roll independently, for example if I do a hand-held horizontal pan I want to eliminate rotation and tilt completely but smooth the pan motion only a little so it keeps a steadier pace.  Unfortunately you can't currently do this (or I haven't worked out how yet!) because you can't have stabilisation occurring in more than one node in series - at least the last time I checked each node you try and stabilise does its analysis on the unprocessed file, sort of ignoring the previous nodes that should already have been applied.

Using an external monitor without their cards would also be lovely, but considering they essentially have a captive audience I'm not sure how likely that is! :)

4 hours ago, kye said:

Unfortunately you can't currently do this (or I haven't worked out how yet!) because you can't have stabilisation occurring in more than one node in series - at least the last time I checked each node you try and stabilise does its analysis on the unprocessed file, sort of ignoring the previous nodes that should already have been applied.

I don't think the stabilisation is tied to any node in particular but rather just to the clip itself.

6 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Looks like Blackmagic skipped a few versions and is going to Fusion 16 now. I'm glad to see that they are keeping standalone Fusion alive, at least for now.

I am glad they'd rather have to take the word Fusion in a more literal way ; -)

• Super Members
On 4/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Lumafusion seem quite excited about something they are going to be announcing at NAB.

If its support for ProRes then I'll be joining in with their excitement.

Well it wasn't adding ProRes, which is a bit of a downer.

They have added an absolute ton of new features which are taking it in the direction of being an even more full blown NLE.

Ironic that they are adding complexity when Resolve is going the other way.

I absolutely love LumaFusion but the ProRes thing (on ingest, I don't need it for export) is beginning to bite and I'm curious to know whether the new Cut page of Resolve with a SurfacePro might now be a better route.