NAB 2019 predictions and major talking points - BMPCC 4K Pro anyone?!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
36 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think you might be calling me a liar?

Interesting.

Actually, a pretty good call because I was.

Probably.

I was genuinely interested in the internals. We could then see what design decisions BM made regarding things like bigger internal batteries, articulated screens and integrated EVF's. Did they not include these to deliberatley annoy people and deny them their perfect camera or were they inevitable design decisions based on internal space and cooling?

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

I was genuinely interested in the internals. We could then see what design decisions BM made regarding things like bigger internal batteries, articulated screens and integrated EVF's. Did they not include these to deliberatley annoy people and deny them their perfect camera or were they inevitable design decisions based on internal space and cooling?

I don't think they made decisions on those things to annoy people.

That's Canon gig, I believe.

The screen itself is a separate component that is ultimately on the end of a ribbon cable as with every other device's screen so its placement and whether it can tilt is more a choice than a restriction. Not having it tiltable reduces manufacturing complexity somewhat but the primary "win" for a manufacturer would be in terms of warranty and service. If you give someone a chance to manipulate something on a hinge then there are definitely those that will turn it too far and snap it. I include myself in that.

It the will is there to have it tiltable or even moved entirely then there is nothing to stop it happening as per this gentleman moving his entire BMCC screen and UI buttons to the side of the camera amongst other things.

The other aspect to this of course is that BM know a damn sight more about their potential customers than a clown like me so they could well and probably do have a stack of market research that suggests the majority of their customers don't want it.

I did preface what I said about it being from my own personal point of view of having used both and for my needs in my environment then it would have been far more preferable to have it included. 

The EVF and the internal battery are different issues as far as I'm concerned.

The former because it would have added substantially to the cost based on BM's current offering (even in a derivative form) and the latter because of a lesson learned with the BMCC line.

my extra predictions either for NAB or Cinegears or that Europe NABish event:

-DJI will make the Z7 to use on a gimbal

-slr magic will come out with 2x anamorphics in PL mount, not their 1.4x ones

-fs7 iii will have fs5 ii improved color science and pro res

Seems like it might be quiet, but still holding out hope for the predictions I made in the other thread I started. Namely, a C100 Mark III or some other small form factor camera from Canon or Panasonic (think FS5 sized or smaller) in their new mounts (RF or L). 

a Black Magic BM Raw recorder would be great as well since I'm looking to switch to Da Vinci soon (also looking forward to that update).

Some other updates that would be great:

- An attachment to stick the DJI X5s on the Ronin-S would be great.

- Pricing and availability of the Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 (or a GH6 tease).

- CFExpress official launch so we can update on XQD cameras and not be locked into Sony's cards. 

30 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Seems like it might be quiet, but still holding out hope for the predictions I made in the other thread I started. Namely, a C100 Mark III or some other small form factor camera from Canon or Panasonic (think FS5 sized or smaller) in their new mounts (RF or L). 

a Black Magic BM Raw recorder would be great as well since I'm looking to switch to Da Vinci soon (also looking forward to that update).

Some other updates that would be great:

- An attachment to stick the DJI X5s on the Ronin-S would be great.

- Pricing and availability of the Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 (or a GH6 tease).

- CFExpress official launch so we can update on XQD cameras and not be locked into Sony's cards. 

the hardest thing for the x7 or x5 is that the brains are inside the inspire - so you would have to make a seperate brains for the ronin - but I'm sure they could make an add on piece or a brand new ronin that has inspire brains

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The DJI Z7 thing I've seen rumoured for NAB looks entirely bonkers

That looks incredibly ugly. Looks like a small M43 camera/gimbal mounted to a camcorder style body thing. Interesting idea but would make more sense if it was a standard gimbal that you could attach any camera too. The design looks a bit impractical tho.

14 hours ago, kye said:

I've been following Resolves progress as an industry standard editor since v12.5 and my impression is that if you're a professional editor it has some ways to go still before it would fully replace FCPX or PP.

I’m not a professional either but I prefer Resolve more and more over FCPX. I don’t use Premiere after it crashed on my multiple times and the performance was crap.

Resolve is shaping up to have the performance of FCPX but with the seamless feature set and intergration of Premiere + After Effects.

BM also seems to be throwing a lot of resources at improving it.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The DJI Z7 thing I've seen rumoured for NAB looks entirely bonkers

Leaked-photo-and-drawing-of-new-gimbal-stabilized-DJI-camera-2.jpg

Leaked-photo-and-drawing-of-new-gimbal-stabilized-DJI-camera.jpg

Reminds me of an Alien bursting out of some poor shipmates cinema camera. 

• Super Members

Well, the Sharp 8K actually does make moving pictures !

Looks like there is a fair way to go before its ready for release but it certainly doesn't want for detail and I think there is definitely a place for this camera for more 'video' type of work.

Quite a comprehensive first hands on run through from Newsshooter here

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/08/we-take-sharps-upcoming-8k-micro-four-thirds-camera-for-a-spin/

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I would hate to deal with 8K H.265 files with CFast2 media. Shit would get expensive fast.

On the Sharp camera you mean ?

Surprisingly enough it uses SDXC UHS-I U3 cards and does 30mins on a 64gig card so the running costs are quite low on the capture side.

Its dealing with the transcode that will be the bugbear though Sharp are apparently going to release a proxy workflow.