NAB 2019 predictions and major talking points - BMPCC 4K Pro anyone?!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

davinci-resolve-16.jpg

NAB 2019 begins this weekend and exhibits open to the public on Monday 8th. One of the big talking points this year I think will be DaVinci Resolve 16 and hopefully we will see a big swing away from Adobe Premiere for editing as a result. Adobe will also unveil updates at NAB but I am uninterested, as I really do think their reliability isn't fit for pro work any more, or any kind of work for that matter.

On the camera side it looks a bit quiet so far. Canon confused us all with the EOS R external RAW recording tweet, but it's entirely possible their reps don't know the difference between external HDMI recording and RAW any way.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
10 minutes ago, norliss said:

Not camera-related but I'm predicting (hoping) that Zoom unveil either an F4n or perhaps another model in-between the F4 & F8n....

I think you may be in luck with that one

D3OijynUcAAFuvN.jpg.a05ec68156b0530b4c849b7b8df03820.jpg

More information here

https://www.miroc.co.jp/report/prolightsound2019-zoom/

I'm actually quite excited about Resolve 16, it's a great editing suite that is absolutely packed full of features. It's a program you definitely grow with over time. I'm crossing fingers and toes for something of substance from Panasonic. I want a release date and pricing for the 10-25 f1.7 at the very least. ProRes RAW via HDMI would be a smart move and any firmware improvements are always nice to have.

RAW on the EOS R would be absolutely game changing but I don't think Canon would do it. They would rather have you pay $7500 for a C200 for that pleasure.

Adobe has added their Content Aware Spot removal tool from photoshop to After Effects for video. It looks incredible powerful.

Love the Blackmagic image but for me, their models come with serious negatives:

BMP4k - no tilt screen, crap battery and the unnecessary need to rig for longer shoots. 

Ursa Mini G2 - just too big and heavy. Wish it was more MAVO or ZCam. 

I think there will be quite a wait for the ultimate BM camera designs. 

In terms of NAB, I’d love to see a Ninja Star size recorder to unlock ProRes RAW in all available frame rates.

@BTM_Pix aha! the illusive F6 @IronFilm mentioned which I failed to find on google!

I'd be all over a p4k with the form factor of the Micro. Form factor is one of the main things I like about the E2, but I don't need 4k120 as much as I'd like to save $700 and get another copy of Resolve.

It'll be really interesting to see how Resolve 16 changes things up. What could they possibly revolutionize at this point? That wording implies it'll be more than bug fixes and incremental upgrades to performance/compatibility.

Not terribly excited about anything else at this point, unless something comes out of left field (which it totally could!) As cool as Raw on the EOS R would be from a "Canon is improving finally!" standpoint, I have no interest in shooting Raw video now that high quality 10 bit HEVC in HLG is readily available, and I don't want to be tied to an external recorder.

39 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

BMP4k - no tilt screen, crap battery and the unnecessary need to rig for longer shoots. 

(...)

Not really.

There are also power solutions out there beyond extra units from your shooting vest or pocket for extending your shot if so. And no tilt screen is not much of a problem (have you ever used one for a long time BTW?) in any way other than as vlogging or external monitoring. If this is effectively necessary as long as rig it, really, not strictly mandatory at all, mere FUD of non-users mantra or from a tiny minority : ) Nothing against tilt screens I've always become used as Panasonic shooter but to take it as a deal breaker is a nonsense and pure BS to this user here : -)

25 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

A canon LP-E6n lasts an hour - hardly crap. External battery options are cheap and easy to implement. What cameras don't you need to rig for longer and more complex shoots.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SR said:

If there's a Pocket 4K Pro, I probably wouldn't hesitate to get it, too. Nothing to think about. 

It would probably just be easier to add ProResRAW internal recording to E-M1X or future GH6 :)

57 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

A canon LP-E6n lasts an hour - hardly crap.

40 minutes at best and sometimes camera turns off at 50% so hardly reliable

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

In terms of NAB, I’d love to see a Ninja Star size recorder to unlock ProRes RAW in all available frame rates.

YES to that. Where is a new Ninja Star?! If they can power it via USB C with no need for Canon LP, even better. Modern chips very efficient and at same time powerful.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It would probably just be easier to add ProResRAW internal recording to E-M1X or future GH6 :)

40 minutes at best and sometimes camera turns off at 50% so hardly reliable

YES to that. Where is a new Ninja Star?! If they can power it via USB C with no need for Canon LP, even better. Modern chips very efficient and at same time powerful.

I get 40 mins with 10 year old LP-E6 batteries.  New LP-E6n on the latest firmware will run an hour by all accounts. Even 40 mins isn't that bad if you have a stash of batteries. 

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Both of you are right.

Battery issue is used to be overstated by a few detractors non-users anyway : ) For a simple reason: people have too little to blame this top capture device of nowadays : -)

I’ve just about coped with the battery life with the original Pocket and the A7SII on shoots before. However since using Panasonic’s and not having to worry is a huge boost. 

Also I do a lot of low angle shots and can’t always lie on the floor. That screen should tilt. Maybe next time. 

3 hours ago, Shirozina said:

A canon LP-E6n lasts an hour - hardly crap. External battery options are cheap and easy to implement. What cameras don't you need to rig for longer and more complex shoots.

Panasonic. Never rigged a GH camera. Don’t need to. I feel it really negates the “Pocket” premise if you have to add on another brick for decent power. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Think this is just a dream. I’m sure Atomos wants us all on those fancy HDR screens. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Also I do a lot of low angle shots and can’t always lie on the floor. That screen should tilt. Maybe next time.

Again: have you ever used this camera for more than once in anything longer of a trivial hands-on without prejudice of any kind?

Such great generous monitor unique of a kind has a clever angle design where low shots are much beyond you could expect from the lack of a dedicated articulating screen.

• Administrators

What's the point of the big bad screen on the back of the Pocket then?

They may as well have left it off.

It sucks up power and doesn't point in the direction you need it to, and you can barely see it in sun light.

Of course, nobody in Blackmagic pointed this out to the design team!