Panasonic GH3 or GF6 video (which is better?)

amadeus67

Hello,

I have been reading a lot about these two cameras (GH3 and GF6), but I have not seen a discussing about a comparison of these two camera.

I red a thread about the GF6 vs. the GH2 and it seems to me, that the GF6 is as good as the GH2 (with hack) or perhaps a little better.

Because I am new to video and would like to invest within the next few days - I would really appricate some advise.

Is the GH3 video output really worth another 500 Euros or do you mostly pay that amount for the more rugged camera body and the better still photography output?

The GF6 seems to be nice, because of the high res screen and the manual focus peeking feature (not available in the GH3) and the price.

The GH3 has a much higher recording throughput, but I don't know, if you can really see the difference.

What do I want to do with the camera?

I want to film animals in Kenya in August. So I will go for the 100-30mm lens as well.

Any advise is really welcome!

Thanks in advance

Amadeus67

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

G6 not GF6 ! ;) 
The Gh3 is miles better. Picture is very clean and much sharper.
The picking mode ans the high resolution screen are cool but the codec isn't good at all on the G6.

I owned the G6 and I was too disapointed by because I tried the Gh3 in first.
I 'm was just missing the picking mode but the evf of the GH3 is good enough fot focusing.

Hope it coul help...
And sorry for my poor English. :rolleyes: 

Hi Le Pouyf,

thanks for your quick reply. Of course you are right I meant the G6 vs. the GH3.

I have done some more reading and I am pretty convinced that the GH3 is the right choice, but..

the pro's of the G6 for me  are:

- the much better EVF  (higher resolution)

- better crop factor 1,86 to 2,0 (means everything is a little wider)

- higher resolution back screen

- half the price

Is the codec of the G6 really so bad?

Thanks

amadeus67

Yes, the G6 is very atractive with all thoses features but I prefer a best picture out of the box even if the picking mode and the HD back screen are so cool. The GH3 is the good choice because of the codec.
Let's wait a hack for the G6.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with shooting video on the GF6? From the specifications unlike the GH3 & G6 it doesn't do 50p 1920x1080 but otherwise looks OK on paper at least. The price is really cheap. Here in the UK it's under £400 with the 14-42mm kit lens & I see that in the US it's under $500. It's got no EVF but it can be remote controlled by a smartphone over WiFi. It could be a good locked off camera for a wide safety shot.