Jump to content
SR

Davinci Resolve 16

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Fusion continues to baffle me. I'm quite competent in After Effects in that I'm pretty advanced, don't rely on templates, etc. But I have trouble doing even the most basic things in Fusion that would take me 5 minutes in After Effects. :(

People tell me that Fusion is more powerful than AE, which is great, but that doesn't help me if the learning curve is too hard for me to wrap my head around!

Is it fusion specifically or node workflows in general that is baffling? I continue to find fusion's nodes unintuitive for very basic operations (compared to nodes in other software).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Is it fusion specifically or node workflows in general that is baffling? I continue to find fusion's nodes unintuitive for very basic operations (compared to nodes in other software).

From what I've learned/heard so far, nodes make more sense for more serious applications such as Hollywood blockbusters. Thats why programs like the Fusion Standalone and Autodesk flame are commonplace at the highest levels of productions compared to layer based programs like After Effects.

However the layer based programs tend to be better for light effects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

From what I've learned/heard so far, nodes make more sense for more serious applications such as Hollywood blockbusters. Thats why programs like the Fusion Standalone and Autodesk flame are commonplace at the highest levels of productions compared to layer based programs like After Effects.

However the layer based programs tend to be better for light effects. 

Nodes are certainly much better for composites and fine tuned control of effects that don't change much over time. Layers are generally easier for motion graphics, or effects that take place over time. Just for fun, I did a recent motion graphics bit in Fusion which I would normally do in AE. It wasn't too bad at first, but it was a nightmare to retime things. I think that with a few small changes, Fusion would be almost as good as AE for motion graphics though, while keeping all the benefits of a node based compositor. Some of these may be possible already, but I just haven't learned about them yet:

- Easily make collapsible node groups / nested node graphs. You could then sort your "layers" into collapsed node graphs. This would solve the problem of a massive, un-navigable node graph

- Merge node with unlimited inputs. PixaFlux has this awesome merge node with unlimited inputs. Each layer is just composited onto the next. It saves SO much space on the graph.

- Sensible, intuitive merge options. What does an apply mode of "Normal" with an Operator of "In" mean? I have no idea, so I have to memorize what different things do. It would be so much easier to just have "Add" "Subtract" and "Multiply."

- Nodes with multiple outputs. How about an RGBA split and combine? Or keyer nodes that output the image and the matte as separate outputs?

- I still haven't figured out how to manually adjust tracking markers, or how to redo a portion of a track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Is it fusion specifically or node workflows in general that is baffling? I continue to find fusion's nodes unintuitive for very basic operations (compared to nodes in other software).

I think both are confusing me. I've never really worked with nodes before. 

Nothing about it feels intuitive. It's frustrating for me and I get discouraged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I think both are confusing me. I've never really worked with nodes before. 

Nothing about it feels intuitive. It's frustrating for me and I get discouraged. 

If you're coming from layers, it might help to conceptualize nodes as being similar to analog audio systems. Say you have a mic going to the input on an EQ, out to a compressor, and then to a speaker, like:

Mic -> EQ -> Compressor -> Speaker

You can stick headphones in at any stage and you hear the audio signal at that point. You aren't applying EQ to the mic, you're placing an EQ on the signal between the mic and compressor.

That's how nodes work, too. With layers it's often like you are "applying color correction to an image," whereas with nodes you're "piping the image signal through a color correction operation." You can use the viewers in Fusion like you'd use headphones on that audio path, to see what the signal looks like at any given point in the chain.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I transcoded the files to prores, but I haven't managed to make Resolve work. It vanishes unexpectedly at some point before start working on the project.

I wasted 2 days for nothing. Going back to Premiere for this project and I will be waiting for the official 16.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having a problem. when exporting i only have 1 audio track that is exported out of 2. both work in dvr16 but only one is finaly on the export.

anyone having the same issue ?

i have set the audio export setting to "all timeline tracks"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snowfun said:

For future reference - how? 

Thanks. 

just by stopping being stupid 😀

all timeline tracks means getting as many audio tracks as there are on the timeline. just keep the default settings and everything is allright

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have this project i shot 4k dci with my xt3

in my timeline settings i cannot set it to 4096*2160, can only go to 2048*1080dci.

is it full version only ?

also when i export for vimeo i got the black bars, is there a tweak to get rid of them ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

i have this project i shot 4k dci with my xt3

in my timeline settings i cannot set it to 4096*2160, can only go to 2048*1080dci.

is it full version only ?

also when i export for vimeo i got the black bars, is there a tweak to get rid of them ?

You need the full version to export 4K DCI. You can go up to UHD in the free version.

You will get black bars if your delivery resolution is different from your timeline resolution. What is the resolution of your vimeo delivery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KnightsFan said:

You need the full version to export 4K DCI. You can go up to UHD in the free version.

You will get black bars if your delivery resolution is different from your timeline resolution. What is the resolution of your vimeo delivery?

was exporting with vimeo presets just to check grading but for final export i will have to go custom settings.

what are best settings for vimeo ? will export in 2k since i cannot get higher so it should be 2048*1080

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

was exporting with vimeo presets just to check grading but for final export i will have to go custom settings.

what are best settings for vimeo ? will export in 2k since i cannot get higher so it should be 2048*1080

For Vimeo, I usually export 2k H265 for projects shot in DCI 4k. That gives the most quality per MB, which is good because you get limited upload space on Vimeo. I'm not sure if you can export H265 in the free version, though.

If you wanted 4k, you could export UHD. You'll get small black bars on the top and bottom, but significantly higher resolution than 2k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KnightsFan said:

For Vimeo, I usually export 2k H265 for projects shot in DCI 4k. That gives the most quality per MB, which is good because you get limited upload space on Vimeo. I'm not sure if you can export H265 in the free version, though.

If you wanted 4k, you could export UHD. You'll get small black bars on the top and bottom, but significantly higher resolution than 2k.

2k is fine. thanks. if i cannot export h265 maybe i can export prores or dnxhd and convert using shutter encoder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

2k is fine. thanks. if i cannot export h265 maybe i can export prores or dnxhd and convert using shutter encoder

That's a good idea. A few versions ago, Resolve's H265 output seemed to be poor quality, so I would export DNxHD and then convert to H265 using ffmpeg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

That's a good idea. A few versions ago, Resolve's H265 output seemed to be poor quality, so I would export DNxHD and then convert to H265 using ffmpeg.

you should try shutter encoder if you are on pc.

it uses ffmpeg but the interface is just brillant.

convertir my resolve dnxhr to h265 with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I use Handbrake for h265 encodes. Seems quick and very customisable with how much you want to compress the footage. It's free with fairly regular updates.

i know handbrake, you are gonna be willing to change for shutter encoder ;)  it has updates too, just did one tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...