Davinci Resolve 16

SR

7 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Hey, thanks for your reply. Yep, I generated optimised media, but like I wrote, I had no issues yesterday while exporting the Raw footage. I tried to grade them today and also messed with the settings and this is what I've got.

I also went through the topic you linked but that did not help as well :( I tried to nest the timeline, change the projects settings, but the 4K RAW is coming out of the resolve like it's 480p.

Then, I'm afraid, I won't be able to help you.

) :

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Resolve guys, please help me resolve this issue :) I'm new to the SW so there might be some options I overlooked.

For days, I had no issues with exporting footage from resolve. Today something happened :( No matter what kind of output I choose, the quality is rubbish like at the photo attached :( Any guess what went wrong? This is a Ursa Mini G2 raw footage, graded from BMD film. Even if I export this from raw, it's still pixilated, banding, etc. The screen was made from an uncompressed export.

I'm runing on Resolve 16 Studio, PC, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1060, i7. 

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I'd suggest:

• Setup a short section on the timeline so you can export quickly to test IQ
  • Disabling all grading then export
  • Check timeline resolution (IIRC output resolution doesn't override timeline resolution, but could be wrong)
  • Create new timeline, add test clip, export that
  • Create new project, new timeline, add test clip, export that
  • Not sure what to do after that point...  Re-installing resolve is the likely common recommendation
2 hours ago, Shell64 said:

How do they manage to offer this software for free?  Aren’t they losing a lot of money?

It's called a Freemium business model.  They've (mostly) written the free version already by writing the paid version, so it costs little to give away.  They create a big name for themselves and it works as marketing.  People go onto the free version of Resolve rather than pay for FCPX or PP, learn it, get used to it, then when it's time to upgrade and spend money their habits and workflow is all optimised around Resolve, so they've essentially 'converted' a customer before the customer has decided to buy. 

8 hours ago, kye said:

I'd suggest:

• Setup a short section on the timeline so you can export quickly to test IQ
  • Disabling all grading then export
  • Check timeline resolution (IIRC output resolution doesn't override timeline resolution, but could be wrong)
  • Create new timeline, add test clip, export that
  • Create new project, new timeline, add test clip, export that
  • Not sure what to do after that point...  Re-installing resolve is the likely common recommendation

Thanks for your input.

• Does not matter if the footage is graded or not, it looks bad
  • TImeline resolution seems okay, resulution is not overriden
  • Even If i create new timelines, the issue is still there
  • If I import the clips separately to a new project, the export seems okay. But I don't wish to transfer everything to a new project via XML because than I loose all my grades, etc.
  • Reinstalled resolve to 16.1 - that did not help either

Here's a sample clip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g2dNhZDSR2YoyDDCdJAW2u5WBCzdIVJV

I also posted to BMD forums, but seems like no one had the time since early morning to aproove my post...

11 hours ago, Shell64 said:

Do you guys find the cut page to be useful?

Absolutely.  I used to hate doing a first cut because of all the keyboard and touchpad/mouse work required just to go to the next clip, but that all changed with the Cut page.  Now it's like gradually floating down a river watching things go past and just sticking your hand out to grab the good bits as they glide by.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to Resolve 16 from Resolve 15. When doing multi cam with 1080i footage it drops frames like crazy, whereas with 15 it was as smooth as butter. :(

I am using a laptop with Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz, 16 GB of RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. 

Any ideas / suggestions outside of using proxies? 

27 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Updated to Resolve 16 from Resolve 15. When doing multi cam with 1080i footage it drops frames like crazy, whereas with 15 it was as smooth as butter. :(

I am using a laptop with Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz, 16 GB of RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. 

Any ideas / suggestions outside of using proxies? 

No ideas, but have you looked at your CPU/GPU/HDD usage and seen where the bottlenecks are?  I can't find it, but I swear I read somewhere that DR16 moved a lot of processing from CPU to GPU so maybe that's what's causing your issues?

23 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm not sure how to do that. I'm not the most computer savvy ?

I used to be able to do multi cam with effects with no trouble though! And I think my system is pretty good. 

If you're a Mac user, there's a tool called Activity Monitor and in it you want to enable the CPU History and GPU History from the Windows menu.  That will bring up graphs that show how much each of them is doing.  Then you try and use Resolve and see what the graphs are doing.  Typically you'll either see the CPU graphs (one graph per core) all at maximum while the video card isn't maxed out, or it will be the other way around.  

On PC I'm not sure what the tool is, but I think Windows will have something equivalent?  Maybe someone else with a PC can help out here..

However, all of this is to work out what the bottleneck is, which will just tell you what hardware you have to upgrade.

Back in Resolve, try reducing the timeline resolution, engaging Playback -> Proxy Mode, or disabling any colour grading you have done.  To test if it's your disk drive (and assuming you're not editing off an SSD already) try copying the clips to an SSD and editing them.  With multi-cam you're asking the computer to read and process multiple video clips at once, so if you have high-bitrate low-resolution clips (eg, 1080p clips) then reading the files off the HDD might be the bottleneck.