Davinci Resolve 16

SR

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Still trying to get my handle on resolve. Recently had to download the free trial of premiere again (PP user for 5+ years) as the workflow in resolve I’m still not quite used to. Glad its free though! (For what I need it for). Mostly this was due to workflow differences, I’m more used to adobe’s motion titles as opposed to fusion. I can’t wrap my head around fusion at all...

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Still trying to get my handle on resolve. Recently had to download the free trial of premiere again (PP user for 5+ years) as the workflow in resolve I’m still not quite used to. Glad its free though! (For what I need it for). Mostly this was due to workflow differences, I’m more used to adobe’s motion titles as opposed to fusion. I can’t wrap my head around fusion at all...

PP/FCPX is like driving a car, Resolve is like flying the space shuttle.  In terms of Editing they are more closely matched in power and complexity, but in the Colour and Fusion stuff it's a whole different beast.

Workflow is an interesting topic though, and you're likely experiencing a combination of these two factors:

• You have a workflow that you've optimised over time for yourself and it suits the way you work and the projects you do and PP supports that
  • PP is designed in a certain way and you've learned to fit into that workflow, adapting how you shoot, edit, colour, mix, and export to fit into the way that PP wants you to operate

Every package offers a combination of these two factors and Resolve is no different.

The biggest challenge with changing (between any two NLEs) is that at first you will try to do things the way you're used to doing them and you will find that there are barriers / limitations / annoyances to doing things that way, and it's frustrating.  It's only over time that you may come to learn that the new NLE doesn't have the barriers / limitations / annoyances that your previous one used to, and you can start including these additional freedoms into your workflow.  Understanding the opportunities that these represent, re-interpreting your workflow to understand which things you decided to do vs which things your previous NLE forced you to do, and then adapting your workflow to take advantage of the new things that you've chosen to adopt all takes a long time.

I have no idea about how editing compares between FCPX/PP/Resolve, but I know that the colour and image post-processing in Resolve is absolutely no comparison and it's so powerful that you couldn't learn everything about it even in a whole lifetime.

The key to learning and adapting quickly is to read about other peoples workflows, think deeply about how you work and why, what end result you want to achieve, and do a bunch of test films in Resolve where you try shooting / editing / colouring / mixing / delivering in a different way.  Not only will you learn Resolve much faster, but you'll also expand your skillset and get a deeper understanding on how you work and why.

17 hours ago, Dustin said:

I've found Blackmagic's tutorial videos on youtube to be an excellent way to get a grip on Resolve. I went cold turkey since I didn't have anything critical looming and just worked my way through them, ignoring what I normally do in PP and FCP. After a few small projects I'm starting to feel really comfortable with it. I have an 8-day travel shoot starting next week, that will be a series of 2-3 min pieces and a longer wrap, all will be done in the new Cut tab. So far R16 has been really stable for me. Love it.

And its free. Amazing.

Chris

23 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I've found Blackmagic's tutorial videos on youtube to be an excellent way to get a grip on Resolve. I went cold turkey since I didn't have anything critical looming and just worked my way through them, ignoring what I normally do in PP and FCP. After a few small projects I'm starting to feel really comfortable with it. I have an 8-day travel shoot starting next week, that will be a series of 2-3 min pieces and a longer wrap, all will be done in the new Cut tab. So far R16 has been really stable for me. Love it.

And its free. Amazing.

Chris

Nice Chris! For me its mainly just familiarity with simple things like adding a white matte with text etc. I’m fairly used to editing in resolve and do enjoy it overall over premiere pro. I’ll get there eventually!

9 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

And its free. Amazing.

Chris

What's the best video you've found on the Cut page?  I've been using it for a few days now and I really like it, but I suspect there's more to it than I'm aware of.

16b1 has crashed a couple of times for me, and there are some strange little quirks, but it's mostly good for me too.

12 hours ago, kye said:

What's the best video you've found on the Cut page?  I've been using it for a few days now and I really like it, but I suspect there's more to it than I'm aware of.

The one you posted before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5U00UYhXDk

It shows how something was done before and how to approach it now. For me, it's the best way of learning and improving my skills.

I couldn't find the SpeedWarp on either 16b1 or 16b2 and found out that from BM that that feature isn't available on the puny GPU in my MBP, which is quite disappointing.  I can understand if it worked at 0.01fps or something, which just means I'd wait a long time for exports, but not being able to use it at all is a little frustrating.

Fusion continues to baffle me. I'm quite competent in After Effects in that I'm pretty advanced, don't rely on templates, etc. But I have trouble doing even the most basic things in Fusion that would take me 5 minutes in After Effects. :(

People tell me that Fusion is more powerful than AE, which is great, but that doesn't help me if the learning curve is too hard for me to wrap my head around!

8 hours ago, kye said:

I couldn't find the SpeedWarp on either 16b1 or 16b2 and found out that from BM that that feature isn't available on the puny GPU in my MBP, which is quite disappointing.  I can understand if it worked at 0.01fps or something, which just means I'd wait a long time for exports, but not being able to use it at all is a little frustrating.

Have you first (right-click) Change Clip Speed... ad change it, and then in Inspector do Retime and Scaling > Optical Flow, and Speed Warp (all in Edit page)? My MacMini 2018 has Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, and it is also lousy GPU, not much better than yours on MBP, but it works (slowly, very slowly).

I can not import MOV files from JVC LS300 and GH5 cameras. Why is that? Everything is perfect with my NX cameras..I wanted to try my first major project on Resolve, but I have this stupid issue..

Also the recent beta seems more buggy than the previous one..not a good start..

Are you shooting 4K422 internal on the JVC? I've always had an issue with that codec, even in Premiere, Quicktime and I think VLC too. 

If you are, see if you can import a 4k420 file and see if that helps.

I remember reading somewhere that they don't have an interest in building JVC's codec into the software because not enough people need it.

15 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Are you shooting 4K422 internal on the JVC? I've always had an issue with that codec, even in Premiere, Quicktime and I think VLC too. 

If you are, see if you can import a 4k420 file and see if that helps.

I remember reading somewhere that they don't have an interest in building JVC's codec into the software because not enough people need it.

All the footage is 1080p/25frames, the whole 2 hours footage is only 12GB on the JVC (80GB on the GH5 and 50GB on each of the NX cameras . I will try Premiere and report back..

EDIT: everything's fine on Premiere! I haven't edited anything yet, at least it recognizes the files and sound and timelines and everything..

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I can not import MOV files from JVC LS300 and GH5 cameras. Why is that? Everything is perfect with my NX cameras..I wanted to try my first major project on Resolve, but I have this stupid issue..

Also the recent beta seems more buggy than the previous one..not a good start..

I thought this was something to do differing of the FREE vs STUDIO versions?

Don't know how that would relate to the beta versions...

1 hour ago, buggz said:

I thought this was something to do differing of the FREE vs STUDIO versions?

Don't know how that would relate to the beta versions...

The studio version handles 10-bit more efficiently. So this may be the issue if you using the free version

16 hours ago, Novim said:

Have you first (right-click) Change Clip Speed... ad change it, and then in Inspector do Retime and Scaling > Optical Flow, and Speed Warp (all in Edit page)? My MacMini 2018 has Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, and it is also lousy GPU, not much better than yours on MBP, but it works (slowly, very slowly).

Novim, you are a prince among men!  Thank you!!

For some reason, Speed Warp doesn't appear in the Project Settings, but does appear in the clip settings as you describe.  What a strange thing!

Thank you again!! ???

[Edit: it absolutely KILLS the machine while rendering.  I made a timeline with two clips - one Enhanced Better and one Speed Warp with no other differences.  The first clip rendered at 5.5fps, the second one killed the entire machine, doing an alt-tab back to this browser window might have taken 20s, scrolling took 30s to respond.  It did render it and the motion estimation is far superior, however there are oddly coloured frames in the output, so I'm thinking that it's probably not reliable.  Hmmm....  Now the question is do I raise it in the BM forum thread where they said it was because my video card wouldn't support it and have them remove the feature altogether, or potentially try and fix it.]