Davinci Resolve 16

SR

6 hours ago, thephoenix said:

@thephoenix that is absolutely fantastic!

I retime things quite a bit, and optical flow is great, but it doesn't do a good job when there is movement in the background, but this new SpeedWarp mode is really great.  The video the guy uses is actually a really good test and shows the weaknesses in both the approaches.

DR just keeps getting better and better!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Big fan of the new Cut page, I'm all about the fast edit and this makes it easy to quickly splice something together, then go to Edit for further refinements or just color and finish. I have to cut 9:16 and sometimes 1:1 social videos for IG and FB, anything that speeds up my workflow is a godsend. I absolutely love the triple timeline. The method of scrolling through the big timeline with a fixed play head will take awhile to get the muscle memory, I keep trying to move it instead of dragging the timeline. So I'm not saving much time just yet, haha.

Fingers crossed the Cut page will also find its way to a Resolve Mobile iPad app with color wheels, scopes and other grading tools. Haven't found an app better than Lumafusion, but I rely on the RGB parade to remove color casts and balance things out, I tend to push things a little too far if I just eyeball it. Its my #1 complaint with photo editors like Lightroom, I prefer scopes to a histogram. Alas.

So far 16 is a big winner, so glad I took the plunge and dumped FCP/Premiere.

Chris

3 hours ago, thephoenix said:

sorry but it doesn't in the free version. only full

H265 files for import are supported.

I believe you can not export in H265.

@BTM_Pix I had to do a very simple and small 5 sec/5MB video for use on a site, so I did the exact same on my gaming laptop (i7/16GB RAM/1060 6GB) and the 8GB RAM Surface Go.

I used 4K H265 footage from NX1 cameras.

I have no clue how the new CUT function works, so I did it in the traditional way.

The export took 8seconds on the laptop and around 30seconds on the Surface Go. 

It is not ideal, but honestly I was expecting much worst. Certain things are possible.

4 hours ago, thephoenix said:

well it is a strange thing since dvr 15 some people can import h265 in free version some people cannot

refering to this doc you shouldn't be able to do so in the free version

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/SupportNotes/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Feature_Comparison.pdf

personaly i couldn't open my xt3 h265 in dvr15

Works fine with the v16 free version. Here's a screenshot of h265 from my drone. My late 2015 iMac is starting to show its age with h265 in v16, my iPhone XS max is now much faster. Crazy. Gonna get one of the new 8-core iMacs with the Vega48 card to speed things up.

Chris

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 7.16.37 AM.png

My 2016 13in MBP gets absolutely smashed by the 5K 10-bit h265 footage from the GH5.  I haven't worked out what I'm going to do about it yet, because I don't want to have to render proxies for every time I shoot anything, but it's something like 1-2fps playback, so....  ?

21 hours ago, kye said:

My 2016 13in MBP gets absolutely smashed by the 5K 10-bit h265 footage from the GH5.  I haven't worked out what I'm going to do about it yet, because I don't want to have to render proxies for every time I shoot anything, but it's something like 1-2fps playback, so....  ?

Yikes! Mine chokes up a bit, lots of stuttering when scrubbing too quick, but its not that bad. It does take a second to think before playing every time I hit play as well. But I don't have anything with the bitrates the GH5 can produce. I can stack all the BM Raw sample clips on a timeline and mash through them much easier, it looks like the Vega and 8-cores will solve my h265 issues though. I'm still amazed at how easily I can edit footage on my phone in comparison. I chopped down 40 min of drone footage and 45 min of GoPro 4k60p footage into a 25 minute video in iMovie, complete with background music and it was fine. It also rendered out a 1080p final video in about 10 minutes, the 4k version took about 25 minutes. Unbelievable.

Chris

Silly question, but I just went to do something and it wasn't there in 16b1.  I went to the media pool, right-clicked on a Timeline, and was expecting to see Duplicate Timeline in that menu (or from one of the sub-menus) but I couldn't find it.

I went straight from v14 to 16b1 so maybe they moved it before and I didn't see it?

Or am I just crazy?  I haven't edited anything in a while.

I got around it by copying the timeline and pasting in a folder, but Duplicate Timeline would have been easier.

19 hours ago, kye said:

Silly question, but I just went to do something and it wasn't there in 16b1.  I went to the media pool, right-clicked on a Timeline, and was expecting to see Duplicate Timeline in that menu (or from one of the sub-menus) but I couldn't find it.

I went straight from v14 to 16b1 so maybe they moved it before and I didn't see it?

Or am I just crazy?  I haven't edited anything in a while.

I got around it by copying the timeline and pasting in a folder, but Duplicate Timeline would have been easier.

It's no longer there (since DR 15.2.2). But you can find Duplicata Current Timeline in the Edit page > click on timeline > Edit (in the menu). See link.

Are there any good transitions in Resolve? All I can find is star wipes and venitian blinds. Could someone advise how I can go about creating something a bit more glitchy? 

Are there plugin packs you can install? Or is it building everything from scratch everytime?

27 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Are there any good transitions in Resolve? All I can find is star wipes and venitian blinds. Could someone advise how I can go about creating something a bit more glitchy? 

Are there plugin packs you can install? Or is it building everything from scratch everytime?

There are some packs but compared to première packs it's nothing. Hope offre will raise with the attract of 16 and the rising price of adobe's products 

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

https://jayaretv.com/collections/davinci-resolve-transitions/products/glitch-transitions

I bought these just a few hours ago, work quite well. I would also subscribe to his YT channel as he is one of the few that make Resolve/Fusion tutorials.