Davinci Resolve 16

SR

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

personaly i can't open resolve 16 it crashes right from the start...

anyone opened a project that you started on dvr 15 and wanted to continue on 16 ? does it work ?

Yes. I'm on DR 16b1 already a week. No issues whatsoever. (MacMini 2018)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Has anyone else experienced an influx of Adobe Creative Cloud ads on YouTube lately? Not sure if it's related, but it seemed to happen almost immediately after I started looking up Resolve tutorials. No exaggeration, it's like every other ad for me. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Adobe are advertising heavily to people searching for Resolve.  I'm not a PP user, but from what I've read here, they are in damage control territory.

17 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm not a PP user, but from what I've read here, they are in damage control territory.

We were hours away from finishing an edit in Premiere yesterday on a fairly big project, and randomly Premiere stopped working. Just crashes. Backup projects did the same thing. It was working one minute, and stopped the next. So we updated Premiere, only to find that the new version doesn't load any of our clips at all (simple H.264 files). So tonight I am batch converting all of our footage to a new format so we can finish the edit tomorrow, before Adobe decides to update Premiere again. This is eerily similar to another story we had here.

So yeah, I hope they are in damage control, controlling the damage it does to end users.

Needless to say, my longstanding suggestion of switching to Resolve has been accepted. I'm excited to use 16 for our next project!

3 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

We were hours away from finishing an edit in Premiere yesterday on a fairly big project, and randomly Premiere stopped working. Just crashes. Backup projects did the same thing. It was working one minute, and stopped the next. So we updated Premiere, only to find that the new version doesn't load any of our clips at all (simple H.264 files). So tonight I am batch converting all of our footage to a new format so we can finish the edit tomorrow, before Adobe decides to update Premiere again. This is eerily similar to another story we had here.

So yeah, I hope they are in damage control, controlling the damage it does to end users.

Needless to say, my longstanding suggestion of switching to Resolve has been accepted. I'm excited to use 16 for our next project!

OUCH!

Who knows what damage control really means, unfortunately for some large companies it just means marketing rather than actually fixing the problems.  Depending on how difficult it would be to fix various bugs, the Return On Investment (ROI) of just advertising more might be better than the ROI of working out what problems people have, diagnosing the problems, fixing the issues, then having to do the PR to make people aware that things are better.

I remember reading somewhere that those companies that used to advertise products on TV in the 80s (like those silver spray-on paint stuff that would stop leaks) basically didn't work and they made money because people couldn't be bothered to return the product.  Unfortunately economics sometimes works out in rather disheartening ways.

I'm waiting for 16 to come out of beta and then start using the new page to get some edits done.  Creating an assembly is the bottleneck of my whole workflow and is the part I dread and stops me from being productive.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/19/premiere-pro-version-13-1-1/

Hmm, i wonder if the editor updated to 13.1, which caused the crashes to start, and then today we went to 13.1.1 which fixed the crashing, but also made our footage incompatible.

Anyway, this is why it is great that blackmagic releases betas. I have seen people deride it as "releasing incomplete software", but having public betas is a great idea as long as people aren't stupid enough to assume a beta is for anything othet than testing. And it's infinitely better than having to patch a "non beta" release a week later because it crashes every 2 seconds.

20 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Has anyone else experienced an influx of Adobe Creative Cloud ads on YouTube lately? Not sure if it's related, but it seemed to happen almost immediately after I started looking up Resolve tutorials. No exaggeration, it's like every other ad for me. 

I certainly have. Also got an email from them about dropping the price for me if I renewed. I'm not going back. 

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I certainly have. Also got an email from them about dropping the price for me if I renewed. I'm not going back. 

The ads are very grating too! Very much targeted towards millennials, which I am one, but they feel like they're targeted for 20 year old "content creators" as opposed to someone like me. 

I'm sure they're not hurt by money but is nice to see the discount emails from Adobe. It satisfies so much to click the delete button.

I guess they're reaching market saturation and alternatives are getting finally viable. On1, Affinity, Resolve, Fusion covers most of what I do and I don't have to pay the price of a small new computer every year to have the privilege of using buggy software.

Great overview video about why the Cut page is so much faster than the Edit page:

I haven't downloaded v16 yet (I don't do beta versions) but this makes me really excited about cutting together an initial assembly.

An interesting point from the video is that he mentions you might be cutting together 1000 clips in a day (1000 clips at 2s each is 33 minutes of video so that seems reasonable).  I did some maths on this and it works out that if you spend 5 seconds zooming in and out to make and fine-tune the beginning and end clips, which seems about right from my editing experience in Resolve, then that's 83 minutes of zooming!  The Cut page shows three different zoom levels simultaneously and you don't need to zoom at all, so that's a huge time-saver just in zooming.  There are a bunch of other things that they've fixed too that I noticed are a bit of a PITA when doing this in the Edit page, so it looks like it will be so much easier.

I am really excited about this!

31 minutes ago, kye said:

Great overview video about why the Cut page is so much faster than the Edit page:

ive been scared to even watch a "NEW CUT PAGE" video cuz im dumb about technical stuff, but THIS is AWESOME, nice and simple, first one i clicked on, thanks @kye ?

dude. its dope. makes total sense. the multiple zoom levels that you see at once is smart af

38 minutes ago, kaylee said:

ive been scared to even watch a "NEW CUT PAGE" video cuz im dumb about technical stuff, but THIS is AWESOME, nice and simple, first one i clicked on, thanks @kye ?

dude. its dope. makes total sense. the multiple zoom levels that you see at once is smart af

Yeah.  Plus that insert edit which doesn't need the play head to be frame perfect.  I suspect there's dozens of little tweaks in here that will all save a lot of time (and probably frustration too!)

I have done a bunch of efficiency / process improvement projects in my day job and I suspect that they might have video'd a bunch of professional editors doing this and then analysed every keystroke and mouse movement to classify what they're doing and how long that particular thing adds up to be over an entire editing session.  Then you can see that they spend X% of the time zooming, Y% of the time doing whatever else, etc and then just work out how to reduce or eliminate those things completely.

If they have taken that approach (which seems logical) then the zooming and the insert edit will be in a long list of many many small improvements they could have made.  People that design user interfaces sometimes look at how far away the buttons are from each other (for example if you're moving the mouse from one side of the screen to the other and back a lot) and will rearrange the buttons so there's less mouse movement etc.  

When Toyota starts with a car assembly plant the assembly line moves slowly at first, and they work out which steps are taking the longest, then they improve them until they've got a bit of spare time, then when every step has a bit of spare time they speed it up a little, then do it all again.  Just making these little changes you can make an assembly line go twice or three times as fast as it was originally because all these little changes really add up.  Which is absolutely great stuff for us, because we're the ones who benefit :)

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

i hope a final version will come out soon

I was just thinking about how long this might take.

Some googling revealed that v15 was released April, had 8 beta versions, and was fully released in August. Version 14 beta 1 was released in April and came out of beta in September, so 4 or 5 months for the last two releases.  

Both these had entirely new products spliced into Resolve, whereas the Cut page is a different view on existing features, with some extra smarts in the background, so should be far less of a programming challenge.  I have no idea how many beta versions and how long it will take, but I'd suggest that although it's probably less than the 4-5 months of previous versions, BM aren't afraid to take their time and release lots of beta versions before considering it ready for 'real use'.  I say 'real use' because I think that there are lots of seriously high-end people using it for big budget projects who would wait for the final release and wouldn't even think about using a beta version.

Of course, PP seems to be buggy as hell and that's got its fair share of VIP users, so who knows.

I am wondering if I should just backup my database and install it :)  The Cut page is seriously tempting.

8 hours ago, thephoenix said:

you can install both ;)

my issue is that 16 crashes right from the start on my pc ?

I think I might.  After watching that video and working out it'll be months before we see the full release.

Plus I shot a short video yesterday and that was quite fun, so I have a bit more energy for editing again I think :)

2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

I watched that, and I also watched the one he referenced from the other channel (because I'm on Mac) and I noticed that they had different approaches to managing the database.

Process completed and 16b1 works for me..  MBP 2016 13inch running OSX 10.13.6 :)