Davinci Resolve 16

SR

Indeed. Let's be fair. Apples to oranges. Price-wise included.

4 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Better than what RED promised. For just over £1000 I have a 4k raw cinema camera with 13 stops and a full post-production workflow that runs on my MacBook Pro. (obviously it requires some accessories but so does a RED)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Timeline level resolution, frame rate, scaling and monitoring settings within the same project"

FINALLY. It's one of those things that wasn't a dealbreaker, but was annoying for a few specific projects.

"Adjustment Clips to apply filters, effects and grades on top of a range of timeline clips"

Nice. One of the main things I miss from Premiere.

"Improved Fusion playback performance"

That's been my main complaint against Fusion's integration vs. Fusion standalone--glad to see improvements in performance.

"ResolveFX Object Removal in DaVinci Resolve Studio"

Really looking forward to trying this out.

"ResolveFX Vignette"

I could have used this on one or two projects in the past, glad to see it.

"Playback speed indicators in Resolve viewers"

Cool! This will help with creating speed ramps.

"Support for using DaVinci Resolve Studio dongles to enable Fusion Studio"

WHAT? This is AWESOME! I'm so glad I never bought a Fusion dongle now haha.

It doesn't look like they have added support for FLog in the color space transform. That would be a nice addition for Fuji users. Though, to be fair, I've found HLG to be better than FLog on the XT3 so I probably wouldn't use it that often.

1 hour ago, Secretlyminnesotan said:

I'm watching the videos they released talking about whats new in Resolve and theres a tremendous amount of detail they didn't go into in the presentation. My decision to move to Resolve  last year feels validated.

Same here, not missing Premiere or FCPX at all, v16 looks like a huge update.

Chris

Level of integration of AI and machine learning in today's high end softwares looks to me unbelievable and almost scary. Yet not in Fusion, but it seems just matter of time when F. will also incorporate possibility of AI software-driven 3d data from moving footage! So, all the knowledge and hours and hours of extremely tedious learning curve (also mine) needed for simulate-recreate 3D space from 2D footage very soon will be past. Or, even not soon, but now starting, as it seems from new Flame 2020 promo...

https://digitalmediaworld.tv/vfx/2340-autodesk-flame-2020-accelerates-vfx-workflows-with-machine-learning

(In its simplest application for, say, cinematography, just imagine what does it mean for simple background blur manipulation... )

31 minutes ago, anonim said:

(In its simplest application for, say, cinematography, just imagine what does it mean for simple background blur manipulation... )

Yes, who needs an expensive large sensor camera with gigantic telephotos when you can just shoot with a m4/3 camera with a compact 400mm telephoto at F4 and just click a button for that sweet f1.2 bokeh. Lol

Resolve 16 should scare Adobe a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if apple drops FCPX in the near future. 

37 minutes ago, anonim said:

Level of integration of AI and machine learning in today's high end softwares looks to me unbelievable and almost scary.

You know, I almost posted in that topic about Race to the Bottom about how the economic value of our work as filmmakers is falling because of advanced software, and will be completely obsoleted by machine learning within a few decades.

The truth is that once an algorithm is developed--whether by traditional coding, or machine learning--it costs $0 to duplicate it globally. (Patents and lawsuits make it cost money, but those are legal fees, not the actual cost of the algorithm the way that you must continue to pay a human worker because they will stop working if they aren't paid.)

Every single person who makes money rotoscoping, motion tracking, or really ANY job can be put out of work by an algorithm overnight. Those jobs will exist until the day it's lights out, and we really need to have the foresight to do something about changing the way we think about the value of labor, before the disaster point. The scary part is the vast majority of political leaders seem to have no concept of the massive change to our economic structure that machine learning will bring in the next few years.

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

Every single person who makes money rotoscoping, motion tracking, or really ANY job can be put out of work by an algorithm overnight. 

Yes, ironically, it seems that works that are involving highest level of man's knowledge will suffer the most. But, it would be simply great, if such liberation will be followed with more space for creativity... Alas, I see quite contrary - for example, just few days ago I spent a day with nice operative board stuff (DP, director, production manager etc) from most powerful movie/video producing house in my country, between lines trying to provide more interests for some artsy movie under mine conducting. Experience was pretty sad - they have, I quote from portfolio: "Cameras ( Phantom Flex, ARRI Alexa LF, Alexa SXT, Alexa Mini...), Lenses (Master Anamorphics, Signature Primes, Kowa Anamorphics, Cooke S4i, Super Baltars,ARRI UltraPrimes, ARRI Master Primes, ARRI CompactPrimes, ARRI Alura Zooms, ARRI Master Macro, Optimo zooms etc...)", but for ideas, vision, for any sort of metaphysics spark or goals they simply have no neither time, neither - it seems - any profound need. How bizarre moment in history: all superhuman instruments at disposal - around ultimate banality and emptiness in human mind...

2 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

What is the cost?

There is a Free version with a limited export resolution UHD and some features removed.

$300 gets you everything, and you can use it forever. Which is incredible.

This update is amazing, and cemented my decision to switch last year. The fact I keep getting these amazing free updates to software I already own is bonkers in this era of nickel and diming.