Rode Shrinks its Wireless Mic System

sanveer

3 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I currently have the Sony UWP D11s which have big annoying aerials/antennas that make traveling a hassle.

Huh???

3 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Also my frequency band will be illegal next year

Get a Deity Connect

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

UWPs are borderline professional. I use them as a professional system. The other 2 systems are amateurish/hardly prosumer ones.

Definitely they can be enough for most people, I may buy a couple of channels just in case, but UWPs are proved and battle rested true diversity hybrid Tx-Rxs.

Exactly, Sony UWP-D11 are solid semi pro wireless. 

Everything else discussed in this thread is not. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Huh???

Get a Deity Connect

Exactly, Sony UWP-D11 are solid semi pro wireless. 

Everything else discussed in this thread is not. 

Deity Connect isn't out yet and the Receiver looks huge (DUO RX) 

I was saying its easy for the aerials on the receiver and transmitter to get bent while traveling. 

9 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Deity Connect isn't out yet and the Receiver looks huge (DUO RX) 

It isn't very big at all when you consider it is a dual receiver 

10 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I was saying its easy for the aerials on the receiver and transmitter to get bent while traveling. 

Then don't be so very careless???? Seems like an easy "problem" to solve ?

Or just have the antennas be removable and take them off while in transport. (this is what I often do with my RXs, so I can leave them wired into my bag)

On 4/4/2019 at 11:09 AM, KnightsFan said:

These look really cool! I love the tiny size and the builtin cold shoe mount. I hope you can adjust the RX gain from the TX side like you can with the RODELink. With tiny size and builtin mic on the TX, these seem great as plant mics for wide shots where you can't hide an XLR as well.

Same! Do you have any experience with ultra cheap wireless systems?

I use this one a lot for quick and dirty stuff like Facebook live interviews through my iPhone, works great, you get a clean signal and the built in batteries last for hours. I keep it in my bag as a backup to my Sennheiser system in case something goes kaput as well, but I've never needed it in that capacity. Still for $50 its served my needs well.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Microphone-System-KIMAFUN-Transmitter/dp/B074MBD643/ref=zg_bs_11974761_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W4ZTF1WC1WVA49MC2H8H

On 4/5/2019 at 8:14 AM, Anaconda_ said:

Their promo makes it pretty clear this isn't a 'professional' tool - it's for bloggers and basically people shooting on their own, with minimal setups. 

https://youtu.be/Yjxbq9FDAuE

Is there any hints out about how this will pair with the P4K? The 3.5mm input on the camera is notoriously quiet, but if this can deliver a pretty warm/hot signal then it could be a good pairing.

Loved the 2nd part of your post! : ) Looks to me definitely a no-brainer : -)

Back to a decade ago when 5D2 popped up, people were used to call the VDSLRs a non-professional solution route as well, look where we are today ; -)

Speaking of devil even though a bit OT now, watched yesterday night on a fake 4K : D TK800 projector from a 1080p source though, Shane Hurlbut DoPed this piece in Italy shot on some other tool (2018 RED aka Weapon) also for amateurs (once) written by the keyboard of some other online forum posters outside:

Ah last but not least, to those complaining for half power life, the little money of the investment lets you buy twice for double-decker your daily battery and as ultimate backup ; ) as Rode's man says in the end of that video up there, happy shooting! : -P

On the lack of locking connection, that picture made a good laugh a year ago:

image.png.07e7568351372b269c4d2285bbbe10c8.png

What about now?

The most funny is I have used it holding the media exactly in the palm of my hand for casual shooting with 100% success. So far so good... : P

Happy shooting mates from your PRO standardsssssssss! Yellow would be too boring without other colors around ; -)

35 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Well, now you can put that drive in a cage, secure both ends of the connection with knobs so that it's literally impossible to disconnect on accident. This is not the same as not having locking jack connections on a wireless lav pack 

Especially when the non-locking part of the system is in someone's pocket... And they're likely not as technically minded as the camera/audio crew.... and they don't know/care about the weaknesses of the gear... or how the equipment is set up... and they're mid conversation in an interview.

All of that is also the reason why I use wires and a boom mic as much as I possibly can. I want to keep any potential errors, technical or otherwise away from people with no idea, and in the hands of people who can quickly solve them.

Having you USB drive dangling out of your camera while you're filming is silly, but at least as the operator who's set everything up, you're aware of what the consequences could be and know how to best manage things to avoid those consequences. The talent wearing a wireless mic has no idea.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Having you USB drive dangling out of your camera while you're filming is silly, but at least as the operator who's set everything up, you're aware of what the consequences could be and know how to best manage things to avoid those consequences. The talent wearing a wireless mic has no idea.

This times a billion.

2 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Well, now you can put that drive in a cage, secure both ends of the connection with knobs so that it's literally impossible to disconnect on accident. This is not the same as not having locking jack connections on a wireless lav pack 

Rhetorical question there. Just a slight form of sarcasm : -)

20 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Especially when the non-locking part of the system is in someone's pocket... And they're likely not as technically minded as the camera/audio crew.... and they don't know/care about the weaknesses of the gear... or how the equipment is set up... and they're mid conversation in an interview.

^THIS

x100,000,000

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, IronFilm said:

^THIS

x100,000,000

I picked up one yesterday to test and the non-locking doesn't really bother me. The mic jack fit is snug, plus you can run it without a lav. It sounds best running it at it's lowest gain setting into a mixpre-d, it would be the opposite running into noisy DSLR mic inputs of course. It sounds even better with a Sennheiser lav as tested in this vid, but in a noisier or live room I don't think non audiophiles would notice any difference. I just bought 4 or them, and I'm thinking of getting 2 or 3 more. People have had issues with the dead cats falling off, but mine fit well. Rode said they were working on a fix, I may have picked up one of the new ones, Rode HQ is about 20min drive from my house. No sponsorship deal as yet, but I've been using Rode mics for 10 years and these babies should complement my NTG-3 well. I do prefer the sound and the XLR receivers on the Sennheiser XSW system, but the 4 things that swayed me to the wireless go were: 8 unit operation vs 5, 3 gain settings vs 1, optional lav vs lav, and $250 vs $600.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, Emanuel said:

On the lack of locking connection, that picture made a good laugh a year ago:

image.png.07e7568351372b269c4d2285bbbe10c8.png

What about now?

The most funny is I have used it holding the media exactly in the palm of my hand for casual shooting with 100% success. So far so good... : P

Happy shooting mates from your PRO standardsssssssss! Yellow would be too boring without other colors around ; -)

You like living on the edge. 

Ok after seeing a lot of reviews and comparisons I went with the sennheiser g4. (I know everybody prefers the sony, but this deal popped up and went for it)

On 6/1/2019 at 9:20 PM, The ghost of squig said:

I picked up one yesterday to test and the non-locking doesn't really bother me.

Try doing a 10hr day on set with half a dozen of these and all kinds of unpredictable actions by actors. 
You'll be wishing for the less hassle of a locking connector pretty soon. 

44 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Try doing a 10hr day on set with half a dozen of these and all kinds of unpredictable actions by actors. 
You'll be wishing for the less hassle of a locking connector pretty soon. 

Sure, if that's what you shoot, it's the wrong tool. But if you're filming live music and use this to send the signal from the recorder/mixing desk, which don't move at all,  to your camera for better audio on the source clip, it's an almost perfect tool.

Or if you just want to clip the built in mic onto a family member during a vacation. Or clip it on the seatbelt while someone is driving. Slip it in the Groom's top pocket at a wedding.

This doesn't fill any holes in the market, and may well introduce issues in some types of productions, but for many others it's great for a low budget entry into wireless audio. I've been using it for a week or so, and while I did plug a lav into it sometimes, it's just very easy to give someone the builtin mic and clip it in a way that it's hidden from view. For my uses, this is much more versatile than many other systems.