Rode Shrinks its Wireless Mic System

sanveer

Interesting size and the fact that they claim it has a built in broadcast quality mic built in (Built-in omnidirectional condenser microphone delivers broadcast-quality sound) that can record in challenging and less than ideal conditions. 

Main features: 

• All-new Series III 2.4GHz digital wireless transmission with 128-bit encryption designed to deliver crystal clear audio under any conditions, even in locations with dense Wi-Fi and Bluetooth activity like shopping malls, conventions, hotels etc

• Up to 70m range (line-of-sight), but optimised for shorter-range operation in congested radio-frequency environments

• TX and RX have built-in rechargeable batteries, charged via USB-C

•"Up to 7 hours on a full charge, including a battery-saver mode

• Super-lightweight and ultra-compact: TX is 31g and RX only 31g

• The transmitter and receiver pair in just 3 seconds

• 3-stage output pad: 0, -6dB and -12dB

• RØDE’s market-leading smartLav+ (with an SC3 adaptor), Lavalier microphone and HS2 headset microphone are perfect companions for the Wireless GO when used as a beltpack (and sold separately)

• Use up to 8 systems in one location.

http://www.rode.com/wireless/wirelessgo

1.jpg

2.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

These look really cool! I love the tiny size and the builtin cold shoe mount. I hope you can adjust the RX gain from the TX side like you can with the RODELink. With tiny size and builtin mic on the TX, these seem great as plant mics for wide shots where you can't hide an XLR as well.

1 hour ago, Ivko Pivko said:

199$ It looks like a no brainer for youtubers and streamers or a good, quality alternative to anybody who was looking for -very- cheap wireless system in Amazon... (like me)

Same! Do you have any experience with ultra cheap wireless systems?

Anyone know if it works with the other rode wireless products (filmmaker kit Transmitter or receiver or the Tx-m2 mic etc.).  I couldn’t find anything on interoperability on the website or in the press release.  Since it doesn’t come with a mic, would seem it would support them....

16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I am single handedly claiming the credit for the announcement of this product today as it was clearly triggered by me buying the Sennheiser version less than 24 hours ago !

I have those in a shopping list. I think they’re smaller than these. In your limited time with them, how are you liking them?

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I have those in a shopping list. I think they’re smaller than these. In your limited time with them, how are you liking them?

I can only comment on the size of them as I haven't actually used them as yet but yeah from that point of view they are great !

I'll let you know in a couple of days when I've tested them.

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I am single handedly claiming the credit for the announcement of this product today as it was clearly triggered by me buying the Sennheiser version less than 24 hours ago !

Return that one Immediately. It doesn't have a Screen/LCD. Instead it had some stupid blinking lights of different colours like a smartphone, though the colours and clinking patterns are already pre-programmed. Plus I don't believe it has a broadcast quality mic built-in. 

No locking connection and short battery life, just on those two points alone it is wildly inappropriate for a professional soundie. Massive dealbreakers.

However I expect Rode will still sell tonnes and tonnes of these to youtubers/hobbyists/students/etc

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Might be tempted to get it, rodelink just too big

They did at least address my #1 criticism (although not my only one) of the RodeLink: it is ridiculously BULKY!

I love the concept and the pricing. The battery life would be my main concern with these though. 7 hours isn't terrible, but I think I'd have been OK with them adding a little extra size to try and get it closer to 12. 7 hours is cutting it close for a lot of shoots I'd use these on, whereas 12, or even 10, would guarantee that I don't have any issue. I'm using the Azden PRO-XD wireless system, which I got on sale from B&H for $149 and they've exceeded my expectations and have good battery life. Though I don't have any real complaints about them I'd probably have sold them for this if the battery life was just a smidge better. 

Their promo makes it pretty clear this isn't a 'professional' tool - it's for bloggers and basically people shooting on their own, with minimal setups. 

https://youtu.be/Yjxbq9FDAuE

Is there any hints out about how this will pair with the P4K? The 3.5mm input on the camera is notoriously quiet, but if this can deliver a pretty warm/hot signal then it could be a good pairing.

16 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Same! Do you have any experience with ultra cheap wireless systems?

I tried the Saramonic SR-WM4C but got a buzzing noise. They're 150€ here, so not that cheap and I returned them to save for the Rodelink. This makes much more sense for my small needs and interviews and hopefully it will be good enough!

I've seen people hanging the nikon's wireless on their shirts and it was awful. The form factor and the idea that I can use a smartlav+ which I have lying around or rely on the on board mic for nervous people is great. Hopefully the on board will be isolated well enough against rubbing. 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, superporpoise said:

I am curious if there's any reason I shouldn't return my XSW-D and get this instead. Besides the locking connector it looks better in just about every way.

It depends on your needs but the XSW-D is a more comprehensive system as it also encompasses different transmitter input types such as the XLR one and even a jack one for instruments etc.

Again, there are also different type of matching output receivers so I bought the XLR version as its more appropriate for the cameras/recorders/consoles that I'll be using it with than the 3.5mm one.

I'll be adding the XLR transmitter as soon as I've tested the lav system as I have a different need for that option for different applications. Funnily enough, I also have a need for it as an instrument transmitter as well so that one will probably follow at some point as well.

From that point of view, it is a far better option for me as it enables me to build a very flexible little system.

If your needs are just for a wireless lav system with a 3.5mm output then it is less clear cut, although you do have to add in the cost of the SmartLav for the Rode and evaluate whether that is better than the supplied ME2-11 with the Sennheiser system.

At the end of the day though, the deciding factor should definitely be the quality of the box it comes in like it was for me ;)

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I love the concept and the pricing. The battery life would be my main concern with these though. 7 hours isn't terrible, but I think I'd have been OK with them adding a little extra size to try and get it closer to 12. 7 hours is cutting it close for a lot of shoots I'd use these on, whereas 12, or even 10, would guarantee that I don't have any issue.

At least ten hours would be "ok ish" with a top up at lunch if you feel the day may run long. 

However.... even that is not really enough! Because give it a few years of constant usage and that battery life will have worn down significantly to a shorter lifespan that wouldn't then be acceptable. 

The non locking 3.5mm mic jack sucks, but I still might switch to these. I currently have the Sony UWP D11s which have big annoying aerials/antennas that make traveling a hassle. Also my frequency band will be illegal next year so I could pick up 2 of these if I sell my UWP's, still have my DR10L as a backup also. 

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

The non locking 3.5mm mic jack sucks, but I still might switch to these. I currently have the Sony UWP D11s which have big annoying aerials/antennas that make traveling a hassle. Also my frequency band will be illegal next year so I could pick up 2 of these if I sell my UWP's, still have my DR10L as a backup also. 

UWPs are borderline professional. I use them as a professional system. The other 2 systems are amateurish/hardly prosumer ones.

Definitely they can be enough for most people, I may buy a couple of channels just in case, but UWPs are proved and battle rested true diversity hybrid Tx-Rxs.

Also, everything seems to be moving to those GhZ territory, I am not sure what the situation will be in 5 years time. I know people had issues with similar systems.