Z-CAM quietly announce 8k and 6k FULL FRAME cameras - no joke!

Oliver Daniel

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did somebody just say Anamorphic Mode? :)

Yeah, I think all E2-family cameras can do anamorphic.

5 minutes ago, tupp said:

Let's hope that the big tube structure on the front is removable and can be replaced with sane and much shallower mounts.

They are considering a micro four thirds mount option for the S6 and are doing tests to make sure it works properly. They seem interested, and posted that the 0.64x speed booster works on the S6 with minimal vignetting. The mounts will not be removable, you have to pick which one you want upfront.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

How much DR does the 6K and 8K have? also only 13 stops?

They said 14+ usable stops, and they've said its higher dr than the normal E2

39 minutes ago, mercer said:

Any word when the E2-C is being released and if there will be ProRes or Raw?

There will be prores, i don't know about raw. I think you can already preorder them.

17 minutes ago, bzpop said:

E2 was announced last year ,
and it doesn't shoot 4K 120 fps in prores,  but  H265 .

And the quality I fairly bad, that could have been the main selling point for me, but after downloading the sample footage, the quality is horrible ( and so much fixed noise pattern)

On 4/3/2019 at 3:25 AM, zerocool22 said:

Has anybody used a ZCAM product here before? How is it like? Is it stable(bugs like kinefinity)? How is the support(do they have a EU/US division)?  Have not seen any video's either though.

My only experience with them is the two E1 cameras that I purchased. The E1 cameras leave a ***LOT*** to be desired. They are barely functional in my opinion. Hopefully the E2 is much better. I have seen a couple of good reviews on the E2 cameras on YT.

However, I would personally only purchase the E2 from a place where I could return it if I didn't like it (like B&H, etc.) I certainly hope that they produce a great product. I would like to have a camera with the specs of these announcements. This looks to be an interesting year!

Pretty crazy you will soon be able to shoot full-frame 8K for $6-7k. Currently, the cheapest way to do that is the Monstro for $50k+. And the cheapest 8K is the Red Helium sensor at $25k (but actually closer to $35k to actually shoot something).

Seems as though the E2 is getting lots of great reviews and I actually like the idea of a modular brain (like Red) if you can get accessories that aren't $2-5k a pop. Snag a Shinobi monitor ($400) or Swit ($200) and some Sony NPF batteries ($100 for all-day power), and you're good to go. 

The full-frame with EF Mount + something like the Sigma Art 24-70 or 24-105 would cover a ton of use cases. Definitely intrigued. 

39 minutes ago, drm said:

My only experience with them is the two E1 cameras that I purchased. The E1 cameras leave a ***LOT*** to be desired. They are barely functional in my opinion. Hopefully the E2 is much better. I have seen a couple of good reviews on the E2 cameras on YT.

However, I would personally only purchase the E2 from a place where I could return it if I didn't like it (like B&H, etc.) I certainly hope that they produce a great product. I would like to have a camera with the specs of these announcements. This looks to be an interesting year!

I had the E1 (was in on the original kickstarter at full price) and really didn't like it.  I ended up selling it for almost nothing.

I gave them another chance with the E2 and I really love it.  It's a really huge leap ahead in usability and quality.  There's firmware coming in April that should be addressing some/all of the complaints with the camera - including improving the audio and increasing the bitrate in 120p (they already increased it once, but they are increasing it again after users requested it enough).

And FWIW, even though the firmware number is 0.xx, I wouldn't consider it a "beta."  Z-Cam considers it to be release firmware and after November, I haven't had any stability problems with the camera at all.  It's been absolutely rock solid for hours of shooting, including some stuff that I shot at -30F in Alaska in January.

2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

They said 14+ usable stops, and they've said its higher dr than the normal E2

There will be prores, i don't know about raw. I think you can already preorder them.

Wonder what mount the F6 will have. (Hoping for a FF speedbooster to medium format) Ah looks like they are all EF or PL mount, so no speedbooster I guess. 

Sorry to disappoint - Went for a test of the Zcam E2 with CVP in London: 16 stop - Not true, unless the C200 has 17 stops - Testing along side C200 and more DR on C200  - The camera is well made and has an interesting size, but for me the rolling shutter was the deal breaker... It is a good effort thought. Lovely little screen on the top, but it needs to be off centred a bit more. Solid construction. I did not buy it just because of the rolling shutter. The image coming out is very nice. Autofocus I did not try but talking to Philip Bloom at the BVE he clearly expressed that the AF was unusable....

19 minutes ago, AnthonyBert said:

Sorry to disappoint - Went for a test of the Zcam E2 with CVP in London: 16 stop - Not true, unless the C200 has 17 stops - Testing along side C200 and more DR on C200  - The camera is well made and has an interesting size, but for me the rolling shutter was the deal breaker... It is a good effort thought. Lovely little screen on the top, but it needs to be off centred a bit more. Solid construction. I did not buy it just because of the rolling shutter. The image coming out is very nice. Autofocus I did not try but talking to Philip Bloom at the BVE he clearly expressed that the AF was unusable....

You have any side by side footage?

1 hour ago, AnthonyBert said:

What are you shooting (and in what modes) that rolling shutter is such an issue? I moved from GH5 to E2 shooting sports and watching my footage back I can't see a difference in rolling shutter, they are almost identical and certainly not an issue unless I'm freezing frames on a whip pan.

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did somebody just say Anamorphic Mode? :)

All Zcams have anamorphic modes and de-squeeze pre-sets in camera for monitoring. It's really nice because you will use full screen realestate on monitors un-like GH5, where I get a smaller windowed de-squeeze on some monitors. Also it supports more de-squeeze options than GH5.

12 minutes ago, m0fe said:

Here is a 3 part look into the Zcam E2 which looks at colour science, rolling shutter and a lot of other things when compared to the poker 4K and the GH5

Keep in mind that E2 footage is using older firmware and I'm pretty sure also not using the Zcam OFX plugin (which is an amazing tool for accurate changes).

16 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Definitely. Going straight for the head of Kinefinity!! 

Indeed, I used to see Z Cam as a cheaper alternative to Panasonic, then they shifted to kinda be an alternative to BMD? And now they're looking to go head to head with Kinefinity??

9 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I find the F6 to look like the best value.

Kinda funny that two F6 got announced this week which are very good value! One from Zoom, and one from Z Cam (ha!!! They both start with "Z" as well)

8 hours ago, tupp said:

Let's hope that the big tube structure on the front is removable and can be replaced with sane (much shallower) mounts.

I hope so too! But it is looking unlikely..

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Kinda funny that two F6 got announced this week which are very good value! One from Zoom, and one from Z Cam (ha!!! They both start with "Z" as well)

What? There's a Zoom F6 now? I'd love to see what that's like, but Google is giving me nothing