Where should I sell camera gear online?

kaylee

heyyy guize ?

so, i live on a mountain now, and my usual method of using craigslist and meeting someone in person to sell camera gear is not an option unless i wanna drive a loooong way

i threw my perfect used condition 24-105 up on ebay for $480, thinking that was a no brainer, and there were no bids!

then i put it up again, and at the last minute someone bid on it and won. he contacted me and was like YOU MUST GET TO A UPS STORE TONIGHT. MY WIFE NEEDS THE LENS IN TEXAS TOMORROW and i was like holy s is this ebrahim??? so that was a scam lol

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haha, only on eBay... it probably wasn’t a scam... it’s just that there are a large majority of people on eBay that are ridiculous human beings.

Why are you selling the 24-105mm? I was thinking of buying the Sigma version.

Are you ditching your 5D3 and ML Raw as well?

13 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

fredmiranda.com has a great buy & sell forum.

+1

Most of the gear I've bought/sold through the years has been on FM. Its great for barely used stuff at bargain prices, lots of people take stuff for a test drive and then unload it cheap. If you're selling - post lots of detailed photos and be very honest about the condition. 

Chris

Been buying & selling on FM since 2005... I pretty much only buy and sell there, there's just too much noise and too little signal on Craigslist and eBay. I ALWAYS regret it when I bother listing photo/video stuff on Craigslist or eBay.

Stuff on FM moves quickly if you price it well... you just might get a bit more somewhere else, but in the long run it isn't worth it if you buy and sell much. I usually price about 10% below what the market value seems like because my time is worth more than a few bucks.

I pretty much only trade with established members with impeccable ratings and as Trek of Joy says, as a seller show lots of pictures and be clear and honest about the state of equipment and you'll maintain a good reputation there and have smooth transactions.

thank you everyone!! that was kinda what i thought lol. ill letcha kno how it goes

On 4/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, mercer said:

Haha, only on eBay... it probably wasn’t a scam... it’s just that there are a large majority of people on eBay that are ridiculous human beings.

??? tru tru, but this was a scam lol

Why are you selling the 24-105mm? I was thinking of buying the Sigma version.

its great for video, but i dont love it for stills at f/4. good lens, glad ive had it, was perfect for my short, but im not in love with it. ive come to accept that i just want faster lenses, im sure the sigma is killer tho

Are you ditching your 5D3 and ML Raw as well?

no way!!! ? its too useful to have... i mean hopefully im not ever gonna sell that camera! ?? its already become too sentimental to me... ? i could never do it! if im ever that desperate for $1k ill just sell some blood or something

I find that ebay generally works quite well for me.

I ignore virtually all questions as the folks that ask all the questions rarely purchase.

I also just set a buy it now price as I've burned myself on auctions with stuff going for a ridiculously low price.

Just make sure you set your restrictions which for me is anyone not in the UK or EU.

Generally, if it's a fairly mainstream item, it should sell quite quickly, - I find it's the stuff I found tricky to find to purchase that doesn't sell so well.

As an example, I bought a Ninja V but it didn't work out for me and as I was outside the 30 day return period, I stuck it on ebay with a BIN price very close to purchase and it sold within 24 hours. Which always makes me wish I'd asked a bit more, but there you go!

5 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I find that ebay generally works quite well for me.

I ignore virtually all questions as the folks that ask all the questions rarely purchase.

I also just set a buy it now price as I've burned myself on auctions with stuff going for a ridiculously low price.

Just make sure you set your restrictions which for me is anyone not in the UK or EU.

Generally, if it's a fairly mainstream item, it should sell quite quickly, - I find it's the stuff I found tricky to find to purchase that doesn't sell so well.

As an example, I bought a Ninja V but it didn't work out for me and as I was outside the 30 day return period, I stuck it on ebay with a BIN price very close to purchase and it sold within 24 hours. Which always makes me wish I'd asked a bit more, but there you go!

yeah, see, thats what i thought...! ?

BUT WAIT!!!! HELP GUYS!!! NOw ebay is charging me a fee for selling the lens, even tho i didnt sell it, they think i did and they want $~! ? dammit what do i do now smh

7 hours ago, kaylee said:

its great for video, but i dont love it for stills at f/4. good lens, glad ive had it, was perfect for my short, but im not in love with it. ive come to accept that i just want faster lenses, im sure the sigma is killer tho

Gotcha! I had the 24-70mm f/4 and had the same experience with it... just too slow when you need a few more stops of light. But then when I go back and look at some of my footage, some of my favorite shots were with that lens... but I also suffer from sentimentality. I was mostly looking at the Sigma because it is crazy sharp and for image stabilization... but so is my Canon 35mm f/2 and my feet work pretty good in place of a zoom... so IDK... lol. 

7 hours ago, kaylee said:

no way!!! ? its too useful to have... i mean hopefully im not ever gonna sell that camera! ?? its already become too sentimental to me... ? i could never do it! if im ever that desperate for $1k ill just sell some blood or something

Glad to hear it, there aren’t many of us left. Lol. I’ve owned about 3 4K cameras, all with IBIS, since I bought my 5D3 and the 5D3 is the only camera I still own...

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

BUT WAIT!!!! HELP GUYS!!! NOw ebay is charging me a fee for selling the lens, even tho i didnt sell it, they think i did and they want $~! ? dammit what do i do now smh

I just recently realized this myself... apparently there’s an option in the resolution center that you have to click. So if the buyer is a no pay, or a scam artist, then you have to open a case to get your fee returned. Good luck!