Canon Eos R or Pana S1 for HD, No Log

Joowe

1 hour ago, Jrteh said:

The banding is caused by my the DPAF and is only visible under extreme conditions. That said, missed focus is visible under ALL conditions, so that’s a trade off I’m willing to make for my shooting. 

Speaking of ergonomics, the flip screen on the Canon is easily a better option than the   tilt screen of the Panasonic so there’s that also to consider. The aforementioned also extends to the convenience of being able to flip the screen inwards when carrying it.

For myself, I’m fine with heavy cameras, if the performance is there, as shown by the 1DXMK2 which is also great for fast action shots. But if I have to make a trade-off I want a lighter body.

As to the OP, I would buy the Canon. While he clearly stated he does not care about AF, he made mention of native EF glass. If he’s not inclined to purchase new glass the EOS R is a smarter choice. 

With the Adapter, the EF glass works as native glass. Zero issues. Honestly it’s the best adaptation I’ve ever used.

That said, any of the current batch of mirrorless are good enough for 95% of users. The bar has moved far enough that frankly we are down to the point of just being nitpicky.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

The S1 can be manually set to shoot video in either FF or APS-C crop, as seen at the 11:15 mark in this video from the kind folks at CVP...

Panasonic S1 | In Depth Review - YouTube:

...which they claim "will allow creatives to use Super35 or APS-C lenses". However it's not clear to me (nor do they explain in that video) as to which video rates (e.g. 4K 30?, FHD 60?, etc.) allow for that choice between these two frame sizes. Also, based on that same fleeting sequence there seems to be a user-selectable Pixel-by-Pixel (dimensions also user-selectable?) aspect ratio, as well.

In all of my online investigations into this camera I have only seen mention of this capability in this video. The function is located in the "Others (Video)" menu and has apparently escaped detection by other reviewers of this camera. FWIW, Panasonic, themselves, have done a fairly poor job (IMHO) up to this point (as of this writing) in not providing prospective buyers with a full, downloadable User Manual for these new S-Series cameras.

Perhaps one of our fellow EOSHD posters already using this camera can investigate the above functionality and report back here as to how and when it actually works or doesn't?!

:)

Panasonic S1/R manual has been available for 1 month now. https://***URL removed***/forums/post/62426156

Here is a direct link to the manual if you are interested. https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-S1/P_PP/DC-S1_DVQP1869ZA_eng.pdf

2 minutes ago, PrometheusDM said:

Panasonic S1/R manual has been available for 1 month now. https://***URL removed***/forums/post/62426156

Here is a direct link to the manual if you are interested. https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-S1/P_PP/DC-S1_DVQP1869ZA_eng.pdf

Hi PrometheusDM,

Thanks for the heads up on that, and for the link, seems I've been staring at a blank wall over at the U.S. web page for the S1...

LUMIX S1 Body, Digital Mirrorless Camera with 24.2MP MOS Full Frame, L-Mount Lens Compatible - DC-S1BODY - Panasonic US:

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DC-S1BODY.html

...where there has only been tabs for Features and Support where the Support Tab has remained unpopulated with any information whatsoever, unlike what one would see at, oh say, the GH5 page...

LUMIX GH5 4K Mirrorless ILC Camera Body - DC-GH5KBODY - Panasonic US:

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DC-GH5KBODY.html

...where manuals and firmware are readily accessible. Again, to my point about Panasonic doing "a fairly poor job" (again, IMHO)...what, are customers to somehow magically guess that maybe they've hidden the manuals on their Japan site?! Haw!

Lest folks think I'm being too unfair or a wee-bit critical, truth is, I'm a big fan of seeing success in others...however their marketing department is doing them no favors here "stateside".

Anyhoo, thanks again for the link...looks like I've got some serious reading ahead! Peace, out.

Jimmy G

19 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Hi PrometheusDM,

Thanks for the heads up on that, and for the link, seems I've been staring at a blank wall over at the U.S. web page for the S1...

LUMIX S1 Body, Digital Mirrorless Camera with 24.2MP MOS Full Frame, L-Mount Lens Compatible - DC-S1BODY - Panasonic US:

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DC-S1BODY.html

...where there has only been tabs for Features and Support where the Support Tab has remained unpopulated with any information whatsoever, unlike what one would see at, oh say, the GH5 page...

LUMIX GH5 4K Mirrorless ILC Camera Body - DC-GH5KBODY - Panasonic US:

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DC-GH5KBODY.html

...where manuals and firmware are readily accessible. Again, to my point about Panasonic doing "a fairly poor job" (again, IMHO)...what, are customers to somehow magically guess that maybe they've hidden the manuals on their Japan site?! Haw!

Lest folks think I'm being too unfair or a wee-bit critical, truth is, I'm a big fan of seeing success in others...however their marketing department is doing them no favors here "stateside".

Anyhoo, thanks again for the link...looks like I've got some serious reading ahead! Peace, out.

Jimmy G

No problem. I think you are hard on them. The manual was out a month ago.

Here is the manual on the English website: http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55502  

The link I first send you is on the first page of Google search result "Panasonic S1 Manual". It isn't hard to find it for me.

Panasonic had extensively help guide on YouTube that was released a couple before they release the camera to go over all the features this camera: https://www.youtube.com/user/PanasonicCanadaHelp/videos

They have provide FW update in the same month they release the camera. 

I'm also in the US. 

I don't usually read manual for any camera, but decided to read it since I had some time before getting my camera and I thought the manual was extensive in providing details of all their features. There are alot of features!

3 minutes ago, PrometheusDM said:

No problem. I think you are hard on them. The manual was out a month ago.

Here is the manual on the English website: http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55502  

The link I first send you is on the first page of Google search result "Panasonic S1 Manual". It isn't hard to find it for me.

Panasonic had extensively help guide on YouTube that was released a couple before they release the camera to go over all the features this camera: https://www.youtube.com/user/PanasonicCanadaHelp/videos

They have provide FW update in the same month they release the camera. 

I'm also in the US. 

I don't usually read manual for any camera, but decided to read it since I had some time before getting my camera and I thought the manual was extensive in providing details of all their features. There are alot of features!

Well, we've owned a number of Panasonic cameras dating back to their ZS3 and I've always maintained bookmarked links to their product pages as an easy find for their Firmware Updates, Manuals, etc., so there's never been a need to have to go searching for something when they've historically always conveniently provided all of this information and software in one expected location...ergo my point of the (again, IMHO) "poor job" in these regards with the release of their biggest flagship camera ever. FWIW, in my 32-year career in corporate telecomm experience I can tell you that if the "higher ups" in my former employers business became privy to such a level of non-performance from their web marketing team for their premier product line that that group would most assuredly be, er, "taking a meeting" with the bosses first thing tomorrow morning to explain the, um, "situation".

Me hard?! Hardly! Ha!

Anyhoo, thanks again for the link...I now have a better idea how the "Image Area of Video" menu functions (p.238-239) operate (from my earlier post)...you're my hero today!

On 4/27/2019 at 5:41 PM, Jimmy G said:

The S1 can be manually set to shoot video in either FF or APS-C crop, as seen at the 11:15 mark in this video from the kind folks at CVP...

Panasonic S1 | In Depth Review - YouTube:

...which they claim "will allow creatives to use Super35 or APS-C lenses". However it's not clear to me (nor do they explain in that video) as to which video rates (e.g. 4K 30?, FHD 60?, etc.) allow for that choice between these two frame sizes. Also, based on that same fleeting sequence there seems to be a user-selectable Pixel-by-Pixel (dimensions also user-selectable?) aspect ratio, as well.

In all of my online investigations into this camera I have only seen mention of this capability in this video. The function is located in the "Others (Video)" menu and has apparently escaped detection by other reviewers of this camera. FWIW, Panasonic, themselves, have done a fairly poor job (IMHO) up to this point (as of this writing) in not providing prospective buyers with a full, downloadable User Manual for these new S-Series cameras.

Perhaps one of our fellow EOSHD posters already using this camera can investigate the above functionality and report back here as to how and when it actually works or doesn't?!

You can shoot Super 35 in all framerates (4K/60P and 1080/180P can only be recorded in Super 35). In 1080P, your frame rate does jump from 60P to 150P. I'd love to see 120P added.

Pixel-Pixel is only available in 1080P modes, which makes sense as the Super 35 modes are 4K at the pixel-pixel level.

4 hours ago, Jordan Drake said:

You can shoot Super 35 in all framerates (4K/60P and 1080/180P can only be recorded in Super 35). In 1080P, your frame rate does jump from 60P to 150P. I'd love to see 120P added.

Pixel-Pixel is only available in 1080P modes, which makes sense as the Super 35 modes are 4K at the pixel-pixel level.

Hi Jordan,

Thanks so much for jumping in here with that info, nice to hear from someone with the gear in-hand! It's truly helpful to know for my application shooting long-telephoto birding/wildlife...

It had not gone unnoticed to me prior that the S1R @ 47MP would (if it could, and now we know it can!) be able to produce an APS-C 1.5x crop image of about 20.9MP and the S1 @ 24MP a 1.5x crop at ~10.7MP,  giving these two cameras the abilities to effectively shoot at nearly the same crop magnification factors and pixel densities as their G9/20.3MP and GH5S/10.3MP 2x-crop cousins! Where this comes in handy for this fella is knowing that I can (basically) have the benefits of two-cameras-in-one when shooting solo (as is most often the case) in the field. Need the tight 4K clip with my 300-800mm Sigmonster? Shoot crop. Need the wide establishing shot? Pop on the 24-35mm and shoot 4K FF! Great news there!

FWIW, I was a hair's-width away from taking a ride to NH this weekend to pick up a used CL GH5S but had questioned the wisdom in that decision if it turned out that these new S-Series cameras had crop-shooting capabilities. I'm in that camp of folks who were quite miffed to learn (at the time) that Panasonic did not include Dual-IS capabilities in the GH5S so it now comes as welcome relief to know that the S1 can get me to the high-ISOs I need, and provide me the crop factors for the FOVs I need when shooting long, and provide me with the dual image stabilization I've come to love with my sweetie's G9 when going wide! Glad I decided to pass on that camera and do a little more homework on these new FF cameras!

Now, if only we could convince Panasonic to give us a proper video-orientated FFer with a right proper flippy screen instead of that limiting tilty screen! Sometimes I like to monitor from the left, sometimes from the right, sometimes from above, sometimes from below...Sabé, Panasonic? And >cough< GH5-esque in-camera scopes while they're at it, too!

Thanks again for taking the time to provide that info!

Jimmy G