Canon Eos R or Pana S1 for HD, No Log

Joowe

Hi.

I have GH5S and nice lenses EF adapted to MFT.

I need FF or Super35 camera for the best color HD, No Log.

Stabilizer and autofocus I don't use.

I don't have time and knowledge to grade Log, Vlog, etc.

GH5S it is perfect for what I need but I lose angle in my lenses.

I don't want to buy boosters for CA and I have APO lenses.

S1+MC21 only for Iris is ok for the color match but EOS R+original adapter is ok as well for my EF lenses and the price difference is not important.

?

Any push to one or another, please?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You're looking at spending thousands of dollars to use your existing lenses instead of spending a thousand or less getting the right lens for your GH5s.  I would question the logic of that decision.

There are wide and fast lenses available for MFT, people don't talk about them much because they're expensive, but they're cheaper than buying a brand new flagship camera body.  Plus they'll hold their value longer.

What are your specific needs?  You talk about "best color HD" because you "lose angle in my lenses".  It sounds like you just need a wide designed for MFT with little CA to match your APO lenses.

8 hours ago, currensheldon said:

I've used the EOS R pretty extensively, but looking forward to my S1 arriving this week. After I test it, I'll let you know, but I'm pretty sure the Panasonic S1 is going to be way more to my liking for shooting video and with your GH5s, a much better combo for color and picture profiles.

Let's see what conclusion you get.

The color match, I do not know if it will be possible between S1 and GH5S.

GH5 and GH5S do not have the same color science (as an example)

Thank you!

3 hours ago, kye said:

You're looking at spending thousands of dollars to use your existing lenses instead of spending a thousand or less getting the right lens for your GH5s.  I would question the logic of that decision.

There are wide and fast lenses available for MFT, people don't talk about them much because they're expensive, but they're cheaper than buying a brand new flagship camera body.  Plus they'll hold their value longer.

What are your specific needs?  You talk about "best color HD" because you "lose angle in my lenses".  It sounds like you just need a wide designed for MFT with little CA to match your APO lenses.

We make videos in a metallurgy lab. 
I have a lot of macro lenses but the only one that gets me the colors of metals is voigtlander 125mm macro. 
As I said, I have no extensive knowledge and no time for color grading but with this lens, the color comes out easy. 
I will never buy mirrorless lenses, good or cheap because we change the camera every time we can to improve and all the lenses we have are EF. When changing we do not have fan brand complexes. 
It may cost money to buy a good body right now but not as much as changing the system. 
We work in a lab and the weight or dimensions of the lenses do not matter. 
We also have Otus and it is ridiculous in a mirrorless but it gives us good results and this is what we are looking for.

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

EOS R is kind of a no brainer if you have Canon lenses and don't need 4k. Other wise if you want 4k with no crop the S1 is a great option or the Nikon Z6 for something more affordable. 

With an EF to Nikon Z available, we could have the nikon in mind too.

1 hour ago, Joowe said:

We make videos in a metallurgy lab. 
I have a lot of macro lenses but the only one that gets me the colors of metals is voigtlander 125mm macro. 
As I said, I have no extensive knowledge and no time for color grading but with this lens, the color comes out easy. 
I will never buy mirrorless lenses, good or cheap because we change the camera every time we can to improve and all the lenses we have are EF. When changing we do not have fan brand complexes. 
It may cost money to buy a good body right now but not as much as changing the system. 
We work in a lab and the weight or dimensions of the lenses do not matter. 
We also have Otus and it is ridiculous in a mirrorless but it gives us good results and this is what we are looking for.

It sounds like you are very sensitive to colour rendition, I can understand because you're using colour more as a scientific instrument rather than aesthetic for entertainment.

In this case, I'd be worried that changing camera would change the colours - camera brands have colour differences much greater than individual lenses.  Maybe try to rent the camera bodies before you commit to buying - it would be better to find out if they're going to work before you pay retail price for one! 

12 minutes ago, kye said:

It sounds like you are very sensitive to colour rendition, I can understand because you're using colour more as a scientific instrument rather than aesthetic for entertainment.

In this case, I'd be worried that changing camera would change the colours - camera brands have colour differences much greater than individual lenses.  Maybe try to rent the camera bodies before you commit to buying - it would be better to find out if they're going to work before you pay retail price for one! 

I also have a6500 and I get the colors but many times I need more ISO and here is where the colors fail me. With GH5S this does not happen to me at high ISO but the sensor covers me insufficiently.

At the moment what has failed me with the colors are the lenses, less the APOs.

20 hours ago, Joowe said:

I also have a6500 and I get the colors but many times I need more ISO and here is where the colors fail me. With GH5S this does not happen to me at high ISO but the sensor covers me insufficiently.

At the moment what has failed me with the colors are the lenses, less the APOs.

with m43 lenses in particular? 

• 4 weeks later...

True, but this is why you pay 75000 Dollars for a Mini. At the 5 minute mark is where the Mini just Kills the C200 on DR. Now are we buying a Mini, well no sad to say. But it is what separates the men from the boys. We have come a long way quick for cheaper consumer stuff, but DR is what really makes the Pro looking stuff look realistic. Maybe this organic sensor thingy will pan out to use on for us, cheaper cameras?? But the first half of the video I think the C200 holds it own, and maybe even wins at times for CS.

Get S1, video is just sharper and less noise than R in HD and 4K, and matches well with Gh5s, I bought R so I can match c200 better.

Its really depend on what ecosystem you have, if you have a canon camera then I would recommend R as well.

C10588B5-830A-494B-A9B0-0BC00DB79B9A.jpeg

Yeah but that crop in 4K 60p is just the pits. You are sort of screwed if you want to do 4K Slo Mo unless you shoot in s35, and I am not sure you can like a Sony a7 series camera is able to? People complain about the crop in 4K in the EOS-R, but this is nearly as bad. You might as well buy a Fuji X-T3 if you are going to shoot in s35. Cheaper, and it actually can focus.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, Joowe said:

>snip<

I need FF or Super35 camera >snip<?

The S1 can be manually set to shoot video in either FF or APS-C crop, as seen at the 11:15 mark in this video from the kind folks at CVP...

Panasonic S1 | In Depth Review - YouTube:

...which they claim "will allow creatives to use Super35 or APS-C lenses". However it's not clear to me (nor do they explain in that video) as to which video rates (e.g. 4K 30?, FHD 60?, etc.) allow for that choice between these two frame sizes. Also, based on that same fleeting sequence there seems to be a user-selectable Pixel-by-Pixel (dimensions also user-selectable?) aspect ratio, as well.

In all of my online investigations into this camera I have only seen mention of this capability in this video. The function is located in the "Others (Video)" menu and has apparently escaped detection by other reviewers of this camera. FWIW, Panasonic, themselves, have done a fairly poor job (IMHO) up to this point (as of this writing) in not providing prospective buyers with a full, downloadable User Manual for these new S-Series cameras.

Perhaps one of our fellow EOSHD posters already using this camera can investigate the above functionality and report back here as to how and when it actually works or doesn't?!

:)

I have used both, and I would definitely recommend the S1 over the EOS R. The EOS R adapters are fantastic, so if you have a lot of Canon glass, that my be more important (the variable ND adapter is a huge advantage). However, the image quality out of the S1 looks much, much better to my eye. Detailed, smooth, lovely. Also, the EOS R is an ergonomic nightmare - the touchpad sucks, no joystick sucks, changing from photos to video sucks. The shutter also sounds like a rocket launcher, whereas the S1 sounds lovely when taking photos. 

EOS R HD looks quite soft to my eyes. S1 is sharper and colors are fantastic. For all the talk of "Canon colors" (and I've said that many times), I've fallen in love with the EVA-1's color and image over the C200 and the GH5/S1 color over the EOS R. 

S1 is a real pleasure to use. From a usage standpoint, it quickly became my favorite camera I've ever used in terms of ergonomics, button layout, customization, feel in the hand, etc. The EOS R, not so much. Felt like I was constantly in an argument with the camera to get it to do what I wanted. You get used to it, but its just not nicely designed from a usage standpoint.

So, my vote goes to S1. 

Ergonomics is a personal thing. I always use the grip on EOS R and the handling becomes perfect (much less without). Love the flip out screen etc..

Haven't tried the S1 yet and for all I know it's excellent/better.

As for CS.. S1 does look great, closer to EVA1 than to GH5 imo (which had poor skin tones / magenta cast).

Honestly I'd maybe consider switching to S1 + EVA1 if it weren't for Canon's DPAF. It is tempting though.

Getting back to OP. As he doesn't need AF/4K and seems only to care about SOOC color, I'd go for the camera with best CS and highest FHD codec. That may still be EOS R?

On 4/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, Joowe said:

Hi.

I have GH5S and nice lenses EF adapted to MFT.

I need FF or Super35 camera for the best color HD, No Log.

Stabilizer and autofocus I don't use.

I don't have time and knowledge to grade Log, Vlog, etc.

GH5S it is perfect for what I need but I lose angle in my lenses.

I don't want to buy boosters for CA and I have APO lenses.

S1+MC21 only for Iris is ok for the color match but EOS R+original adapter is ok as well for my EF lenses and the price difference is not important.

?

Any push to one or another, please?

I think your questions pretty clearly point you to the EOS R.