White Balance Problem Fix In Post

Zach Goodwin2

How do you fix a blue window or a very warm indoor video where the window and the subject is shown? Is there a way to color correct this in video with a constantly moving subject and constantly moving camera? I know how you can fix it in camera with a blue tint bulb or blue tint gel, or orange tint window peel, but how can you fix it in color correction?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

Is there a way to color correct this in video with a constantly moving subject and constantly moving camera?

That's one limitation of shooting video: unless it is RAW, it is difficult to correct different color casts.

It's even more difficult when in the same scene you pan the camera from one color cast to another.

In your editor if you have an orange color cast from tungsten lighting, you can cool the temperature a little bit AND lower the Vibrance down to zero or negative a little bit.

Then bring the saturation up a little.

And as @androidlad lad suggested above, do a secondary grade to reduce the blue saturation.

I don't know what NLE you use. Resolve is pretty good at dealing with various color casts to an extent. But nothing is going to be as good as a RAW photo.

Secondaries and moving the gain warmer or cooler can get you part way there. But there's no good way of correcting this. I definitely wouldn't shoot like this intentionally with the idea being you can fix it in post... unless you want a stylized look, in which case set your white balance in-between (4300K) and for some stuff that might look good. 

When I get the white balance totally wrong and am not shooting raw, I've found using the channel curves (blue curve in particular) works better than using lift/gamma gain. If you have any clips like this, upload them and we can take a look. With a lot of rotoscoping you might be able to make it work, but the way light bounces is so complicated it'll be difficult to completely correct under any circumstances. You can make it better... but very difficult to clean it up totally. 

If you haven't shot anything yet, and aren't going for a certain stylized look, just get it right on set. Maybe get some daylight LED light bulbs.