Cheapest Fastest Full-Frame Lenses: Rokinon SP & Samyang XP

andrgl

Wowee, these lenses seem perfect for cine use.

• 35mm f/1.2
  • 50mm f/1.2
  • 85mm f/1.2

Manual focus, crazy fast, full frame, identical 86mm fronts, even looks like focus gear placement could be uniform.

Anyone using these lenses to shoot video?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

from a still shooters perspective, gary ayton photogtaphy likes the 85mm   http://www.ayton.id.au/wp02/?p=4724  and the lonely speck recommends them for astro   https://www.lonelyspeck.com/lenses-for-milky-way-photography/

how they go for video i'm not sure. it might help if you can tell us what camera your using, others can then chime in with their experiences. Judging from some of the samples that are getting shown in the lenses thread i don't think you can't go wrong with most lenses. But it all come back to what you find pleasing in a lens, that you find which may differ to what i find pleasing . Certainly some lenses are have characters that bring out subtle nuances that can be appreciated. In genera i am of the opinion, anything this is good on stills is going to be good on video. but thats a newbies appreciation of videograpgy.  

Yeah these are heavily used for video. Cheapest "cine" lenses you can buy. The reason I opted against getting them was manufacturing inconsistency. Some people seem to get great copies that do really well wide open while others not so great. 

But in general they are a great option, especially considering how cheap they are.

Yeah these are heavily used for video. Cheapest "cine" lenses you can buy. The reason I opted against getting them was manufacturing inconsistency. Some people seem to get great copies that do really well wide open while others not so great. 

But in general they are a great option, especially considering how cheap they are.

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

These are not the VDSLR series, or even the old plain Samyang/Rokinons, this is the ultrafast XP/SP series. 

Each lens cost almost double than the VDSLR equivalent, and personally I do not know anyone using the XP line, while most of my colleague's own at least one VDSLR (14mm and 85mm mostly).

If you have triple the money then buy German glass, I do not (mainly a soundman), so I decided getting the 4 lenses EF kit and the 16mm T2.6. I use full frame lenses mostly at 4 anyway, so I stop down a bit anyway, but it is good to have the option to go 1 stop wider if need be.

My preference would be the MK series, or CN-E or the Sony 18-110 fake cine, but couldn't decide on following their systems, so I am going the "mild" route of the EF Samyangs.