Blackmagic URSA Broadcast: Shooting 4K with Super 16 Lenses?

andrgl

Anyone try using a Blackmagic URSA Broadcast with S16 lenses?

Super 16 aperture: 12.52 mm x 7.42 mm

Broadcast sensor: 13.056 mm x 7.344 mm

4K, 60 FPS, 12-ish stops of DR, internal NDs, SSD recording, SDI out, real PL mount... very tempting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Or you could get the Pocket 4k Cinema Camera and shoot windowed HD at 120 frames per second with a crop factor approximately 1.38% (so your lens would not seem as wide) and if you shot 4k you would cover approximately 2.7k at the wide end and depending on the lens as you zoom in, many zoom lens have a large image circle on the long end, so you could even shoot greater that 2.7k and in crop in post.

The other interesting thing you could do is attached your lens to PL-EF adapter then to an Aputure DEC Vari-nd Wireless Lens adapter to m4/3 mount, then to the camera.  That way you would have a high quality adjustable remote controllable ND filter, which would allow you to shoot the lens open or close to it.

Further more you could try adding a 1.4x extender in between the the PL-EF adapter and the EF to m4/3 adapter. That should come close to covering the sensor and I assume will cover the send if your zoom into the image a bit.

If you want 105% coverage, Tokin makes a 1.6x PL to PL extender so 12.52 mm x 7.42 mm becomes 20.032 x 11.72 and more than covers the Pocket 4k cinema camera sensor, but you lose more than a stop of light, though with the Pocket 4k this is less of an issue.

9 hours ago, majoraxis said:

Or you could get the Pocket 4k Cinema Camera and shoot windowed HD at 120 frames per second with a crop factor approximately 1.38% (so your lens would not seem as wide) and if you shot 4k you would cover approximately 2.7k at the wide end and depending on the lens as you zoom in, many zoom lens have a large image circle on the long end, so you could even shoot greater that 2.7k and in crop in post.

The other interesting thing you could do is attached your lens to PL-EF adapter then to an Aputure DEC Vari-nd Wireless Lens adapter to m4/3 mount, then to the camera.  That way you would have a high quality adjustable remote controllable ND filter, which would allow you to shoot the lens open or close to it.

Further more you could try adding a 1.4x extender in between the the PL-EF adapter and the EF to m4/3 adapter. That should come close to covering the sensor and I assume will cover the send if your zoom into the image a bit.

If you want 105% coverage, Tokin makes a 1.6x PL to PL extender so 12.52 mm x 7.42 mm becomes 20.032 x 11.72 and more than covers the Pocket 4k cinema camera sensor, but you lose more than a stop of light, though with the Pocket 4k this is less of an issue.

Only interested in 4K.

Trying to get a hold of a rental unit at the moment.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:46 AM, IronFilm said:

Forget about it, it is not a great sensor. (as I believe it is the same sensor as in their studio cameras)
Skip 4K, get an OG BMPCC or Micro Cinema Camera for your S16 lenses. 

Its got 4k 60p, 444 and internal ND's tho.

I am more interested in the BM Ursa 4K cinema camera with the global shutter.

20 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am more interested in the BM Ursa 4K cinema camera with the global shutter.

Why? It is big and heavy, with less DR and worse lowlight than the newer cameras. 

And you realize that for 95%+ of people that global shutter is less important than they think?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Why? It is big and heavy, with less DR and worse lowlight than the newer cameras. 

And you realize that for 95%+ of people that global shutter is less important than they think?

Yeah but it can be had pretty cheap used and as long as I am using traditional lighting setups or shooting during the day it would be fine. 

I do realize that but after seeing the footage from the new global shutter Z cam I am sold haha. 

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah but it can be had pretty cheap used and as long as I am using traditional lighting setups or shooting during the day it would be fine. 

The BMPC4K is indeed dirt cheap, but the URSA Mini 4K with the "same" ("improved") sensor is barely a few pennies more on eBay. 

(but then it is a slippery slope... why not instead the much much better UM4.6K original? Or the UMP? etc etc)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The BMPC4K is indeed dirt cheap, but the URSA Mini 4K with the "same" ("improved") sensor is barely a few pennies more on eBay. 

(but then it is a slippery slope... why not instead the much much better UM4.6K original? Or the UMP? etc etc)

true its that global shutter I am after. The Z cam option is nice but its 1 inch vs 35mm sensor. 

I was taken back how different a pan like that looks without rolling shutter.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

true its that global shutter I am after.

BUT WHY? 

How do you need need it?

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I was taken back how different a pan like that looks without rolling shutter.

Yet almost nobody does fast jerk pans like that in real life while making a film. So it doesn't matter. (or at the very least matters *LESS* than things like dynamic range or low light)