2x anamorphic workflow premiere pro

blue

I really hope someone will give me an answer because I've tried every search I can think of and haven't had any luck. I bought the anamorphic guide from this website and while it was a wealth of info I'm still without a clue how the hell to make my 3.55:1 footage 2.40:1. I'm using premiere pro cs6, shooting with an isco optic 2x anamorphic adaptor and a gh2. I've read that it's possible to take the super widescreen image this combo produces and crop off the sides to make it a normal widescreen. How!? Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ok thanks guys. I have it in a 1920x1080 sequence and I stretched it 200%. Is there a way to crop the sides and still keep the 1080 vertical res? When I crop it to 816 it also takes the horizontal down I'd like to keep it at whatever the horizontal res when stretched 200% and also 1080, is this possible? Has anyone one here done this on Premiere pro lately?

Upscale it then. Use 1920*2 as width and 1080 as height when you create a new sequence and set width to 200%.

If you want a not that wide aspect, then set the sequence to 2538*1080 (2.35:1 aspect) and scale width to 200% (this should be always 200 due to 2x anamorph). This way the extreme edges of the frame will be cropped (out of the frame).

Edit: I prefer using 1920*1080 letterboxed anamorphic because my anamorphic can't resolve that much so I don't want to blow it up.

My personal workflow in premiere:

1) Set up a custom premiere project at the aspect ratio I want. 2880x1080 for 1.5x anamorphic, or if I want 2.40:1 / 2.35:1, I use 2592x1080 / 2538x1080.

2) Then I drop in the footage to the timeline, select it and go to Transform and do the proper width scaling (uncheck the box with uniform scaling) for the anamorphic. 150% for Iscorama, something around 1.7x (170%) to 2x (200%) for the Isco projection lens.

3) Now you will have the center crop of your footage, with the left and right edges going outside.

You could do the same while working at lower resolutions, but I prefer to work at 1080p height if I want to output some high-res version later on. If I want to output it for vimeo or youtube, I usually let adobe media encoder do the job of downsampling it.

One thing to consider is that if you use 1920x1080 sequence and interpret footage as 2x aspect then you will not be able to use things like warp stabilizer because the footage does not match the sequence settings. Other than that it is a good way to do it.

Yes this is true! Thanks for pointing that out. 

Thanks guys, though my main problem now is that when I export and try to crop it to 1920x816 it takes the horizontal down to 1440. For that matter, the software doesn't allow me to set up a sequence with custom aspect ratio to say, 2592x1080 without automatically bringing vertical res down to like 516. Very frustrated.

Ok. When setting up sequence I go to custom and when I type my desired resolution and press enter it changes the corresponding res automatically. example: I type in 2592 for horizontal and it automatically takes the vertical down to something other than 1080. What am I doing wrong ?

• 6 months later...

One thing to consider is that if you use 1920x1080 sequence and interpret footage as 2x aspect then you will not be able to use things like warp stabilizer because the footage does not match the sequence settings. Other than that it is a good way to do it.

Hi, I'm new to anamorphic (and video shooting in general). I made some research but couldn't find a way to stabilize anamorphic footages. Premiere Warp not working, Loack&Load working but the result is unusable. Is stabilization a downside of anamorphic shooting? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I don't totally follow your workflow, but the first one looks 100% correct.  Moreover, in premiere it's easy to check, there are percentages beside your pixel number, and if you are finalizing in a 1080p frame (and why would you final in anything bigger when nearly no one's monitors can display that added detail?) your aspect ratio really doesn't matter, there is no standard for web. So if the percent value of your height is half of the percent value of your width then your desqueeze is right.  Pixels are sort of beside the point, since you are really after the ratio. That's it.

I usually do something close as needed (a little zoom and reframe here and there is all good) and then use a cine scope overlay to cover my creative dalliances.