Zach Goodwin2

How To Have Quality Video on a Cheap Camera

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/12/2019 at 10:52 AM, DBounce said:

A good story is key. We have all seen videos on YouTube that while shot on inferior cameras are nonetheless interesting. Have you ever seen a movie shot on fancy cameras, with a real budget that was still garbage? Story is king! Most are too caught up in gear. 

Earlier this week, I saw a 37-minute documentary that had been shot on an old Panasonic GM1 compact system camera. While the subject matter would not normally have interested me, this documentary was so well shot and cut that it drew me in. In fact, it was so well put together that it looked like it had been shot on a much larger and much more expensive camera.

This is proof that you don't have to have the latest and greatest camera, but you do know have to use it, you have to have a compelling story to tell, and you have to know how to cut your footage properly so it supports the story you're trying to tell.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I love the GM1 and used to own this camera.  I'm always interested in footage shot with the GM1 and GX7.  Good stuff.  What's the documentary?

I can't remember. It was about a newsletter in Japan called Parkway, and the woman who started it. I searched for it on Youtube but couldn't find it.

18 hours ago, PolarStarArts said:

I can't remember. It was about a newsletter in Japan called Parkway, and the woman who started it. I searched for it on Youtube but couldn't find it.

Well, I certainly should know about that movie and the GM1 ... my wife and I made that film. thanks for the compliment. 

4 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Well, I certainly should know about that movie and the GM1 ... my wife and I made that film. thanks for the compliment. 

@fuzzynormal, I haven't made it all the way though yet, but this is fantastic so far. I checked out a couple of your PBS docs a while ago, when you mentioned using the GX85 for those. You really put these cameras to work. Have you made any post previously regarding the technical aspects of the docs you shoot? I would enjoy hearing more about the lighting and audio setups you use in conjunction with these small consumer cameras.

4 hours ago, billdoubleu said:

@fuzzynormal, I haven't made it all the way though yet, but this is fantastic so far. I checked out a couple of your PBS docs a while ago, when you mentioned using the GX85 for those. You really put these cameras to work. Have you made any post previously regarding the technical aspects of the docs you shoot? I would enjoy hearing more about the lighting and audio setups you use in conjunction with these small consumer cameras.

It’s rather boring and straight forward, tbh. Zoom recorder with wireless mics. Natural light as much as possible. Interviews with a soft key and modest backlight. If possible I always try to position my interview subjects in a spot where their faces are exposed about 2 stops more than the background. 

16 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

It’s rather boring and straight forward, tbh. Zoom recorder with wireless mics. Natural light as much as possible. Interviews with a soft key and modest backlight. If possible I always try to position my interview subjects in a spot where their faces are exposed about 2 stops more than the background. 

Sounds like straight forward and boring gets the job done! I hope you're gaining some traction on distribution for your new doc. I know there are lots of K9 lovers out there, like me, that would love to see it