Zach Goodwin2

How To Have Quality Video on a Cheap Camera

So all you have is just a dslr or camcorder. How do you get something good on it?

Find a subject you find interesting, rely on bright natural light, rely on close-ups for good built-in sound, and brighten up the scene (add more light), make sure the light is even, try to make a video as simple as possible, and lastly rely on the rule of thirds. Do not let criticism and judgement of video quality get to you as well.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Jrsisson said:

I find capturing good(ish) sound helps you forget about the visuals.

That is true, but not so much when you can't quite grasp the way a lot of English people talk lol. The stiff upper lip, nasal thingy, and even worse, Cockney. 😜

10 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

That is true, but not so much when you can't quite grasp the way a lot of English people talk lol. The stiff upper lip, nasal thingy, and even worse, Cockney. 😜

You cheeky bugger.

If it wasn't for your army overrunning our airfields and putting our Spitfires out of action in 1776 you'd be speaking like us as well.

Well we also have some Southern, and Appalachian, Scottish influence people, that aren't easy to understand also. And then there are the Cajuns in New Orleans. Pretty amazing how many Types of English speaking people there are all speaking the same language. The list goes on and on.

I have traveled all over 49 of the 50 states over the years and only a few places have I had to say, WHAT did he say lol. Pretty consistent for most places for the same style here.

Living in Florida for as long as I have is interesting also. There are people from all over America, and from all over the world that live here, and come here for vacations. You can hear just about everything living here.

13 hours ago, Jrsisson said:

I find capturing good(ish) sound helps you forget about the visuals.

Shot this on a GoPro Hero Black 7 and Panasonic GX80 with a Olympus 45mm f1.8 

Very nice work!

Bad sound is worse than bad visuals, that's for sure.  Archival video footage looks old, but audio with a similar level of damage sounds BAD, not old.

9 hours ago, kye said:

Very nice work!

Bad sound is worse than bad visuals, that's for sure.  Archival video footage looks old, but audio with a similar level of damage sounds BAD, not old.

Thanks Kye. I forgot to mention I used the Rode Smart Lav wired into a Zoom H5. 

I was actually just at the dig to take photos but made this (and 3 other films) on the fly. My favourite type of filming.

39 minutes ago, Jrsisson said:

Thanks Kye. I forgot to mention I used the Rode Smart Lav wired into a Zoom H5. 

I was actually just at the dig to take photos but made this (and 3 other films) on the fly. My favourite type of filming.

Nice!

It looks like you've worked out the format and overall process for the mini-doc style of film-making, so I'm guessing you can kind of freestyle it and pull out good results :)